What does the confederate flag mean to you?

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Who flies, wears, displays this flag and why?

It's a troubling question, though to be honest I think you could ask similar uncomfortable questions about the American flag. Both have some shameful history associated with them.

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a troubling question, though to be honest I think you could ask similar uncomfortable questions about the American flag. Both have some shameful history associated with them.

Ok but the confederate flag symbolizes traitors; losers!

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I drive through the south and some western parts of the US, I see that flag as rear-window decals and bumper stickers and license plate holders, on t-shirts, belt buckles, and gimme caps. I have seen that flag hung inside and ouside of houses. What do people mean to convey by this? Some things cone to mind:
I am a rebel, an outlaw, an interesting reckless fucker.
fuck yerself, fuck all of y'all; fuck yer mother and all her people.
Fuck the goverment.
I'm salt-of-the earth: give me beer, smoke, barbeque, biscuits, and pussy--and throw in some Jack (Daniels).
I hate fags, and I am a red-blooded horny dude--'straight' don't do me justice.
Women like bad boys, and I am baaaaad.
I am a redneck and proud of it.
I ain't no metrosexual.
Whatever you are, I ain't one.
Since Caitlin, I don't eat no more wheaties.
I long for what I think the Old South was.
I hate n --well you know that.

travis7

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
it is what you take it for.. Most people who have a family or friend killed by a gun will ( most of them ) will be against guns and want more gun control.. while those who hunt for more food for the family, is totally against it. When I see the flag... I think of the civil war of one nation almost split into two. Thousand of people died for what they believed in. The flag represents slavery just as much as the word South.. Southern States, The Southern states bring into mind of the slavery states.. why not look at the flag as the time in the country that freedom for all people took place.. I ( a white man ) feel more discriminated against from the black people. It goes on both sides.. I had nothing to do with what happened in the 1860's.. People need to move on.. get a job and be responsible for your own actions.

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it is what you take it for.. Most people who have a family or friend killed by a gun will ( most of them ) will be against guns and want more gun control.. while those who hunt for more food for the family, is totally against it. When I see the flag... I think of the civil war of one nation almost split into two. Thousand of people died for what they believed in. The flag represents slavery just as much as the word South.. Southern States, The Southern states bring into mind of the slavery states.. why not look at the flag as the time in the country that freedom for all people took place.. I ( a white man ) feel more discriminated against from the black people. It goes on both sides.. I had nothing to do with what happened in the 1860's.. People need to move on.. get a job and be responsible for your own actions.

I hear ya brother. If that white boy in Charleston had a job he prolly not killed those fine, God fearing folk in that there church, yee hah

Reactions: AlteredEgo

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So some German people see the flag of Nazi Germany as a symbol of what their country went through and also feel a little national pride. They choose to fly it on their lawn. Would you have a problem with it? What about those who lost family and friends to the Holocaust and to the war? Would you tell those opposed to just move on?

The South lost. Why not tell those who wish to commemorate it to just get over it and move on?

Reactions: AlteredEgo

paraguy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is a symbol of treason. The first amendment gives people the right to have it, fly it, wear it, post it on cars, etc.... but it should not be part of any official display of heritage of pride.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So some German people see the flag of Nazi Germany as a symbol of what their country went through and also feel a little national pride. They choose to fly it on their lawn.
Only a very very small part of all germans feel "national pride" if they see the nazi flag. Most germans are disgusted!
And I think americans should feel the same about the confederation flag.
It's a symbol of slavery and racism!

And every german who choose to fly it on their lawn is a criminal. To own symbols of the third reich is against the law.

Yes, I support the freedom of speech, but your freedom ends where it limits the freedom of someone else.
And hate speech, just as symbols of hate do limit the freedom of others and are a threat to every society!
Would you have a problem with it? What about those who lost family and friends to the Holocaust and to the war? Would you tell those opposed to just move on?
Yes, these people (the relatives of the victims) have to move on. They have to come over the past... it's the only way how they can live an "average" life!
but the criminals who created all the horror (Holocaust in germany, slavery in the usa) never should get over it. They always have to reflect their acting in the context of their history. To guaranty that the history wount repeat and to make the life of the victims as easy as possible.
The South lost. Why not tell those who wish to commemorate it to just get over it and move on?

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Only a very very small part of all germans feel "national pride" if they see the nazi flag. Most germans are disgusted!
And I think americans should feel the same about the confederation flag.
It's a symbol of slavery and racism!

And every german who choose to fly it on their lawn is a criminal. To own symbols of the third reich is against the law.

Yes, I support the freedom of speech, but your freedom ends where it limits the freedom of someone else.
And hate speech, just as symbols of hate do limit the freedom of others and are a threat to every society!
Yes, these people (the relatives of the victims) have to move on. They have to come over the past... it's the only way how they can live an "average" life!
but the criminals who created all the horror (Holocaust in germany, slavery in the usa) never should get over it. They always have to reflect their acting in the context of their history. To guaranty that the history wount repeat and to make the life of the victims as easy as possible.
Perados, I wasn't stating that any Germans in Germany felt that way. I was using a hypothetical. Just as Jewish survivors and family shouldn't have to see symbols of their oppressors neither should those who have ancestors who suffered under slavery. That flag wasn't used as a symbol of pride when held by those who burned churches or committed lynchings no matter how apologists try to spin things.

Reactions: keenobserver

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a symbol of a hatred so profound that its adherents can't see it for what it is. The war memorial is appropriate. That fucking flag is not, and it needs to come down, like RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

Pretty much this.

Also, welcome back :)

Reactions: Chrysippus

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's used as a tool of intimidation and as threat that black community should not attempt to be an equal part of society.

I know people who use that symbol on their cars and it's their cowardly way of saying "I hate n....ers", without actually saying it.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Every flag has issues attached to it. While Americans using the U.S. flag have done some shameful things, I think our past and present contributions to the world are things we can justly be proud of. I am not even going to attempt a list.

The confederate battle flag which is the flag we are talking about here - the stars and bars is the symbol of a failed rebellion. It belongs in the dustbin of history. The only issue at stake in that rebellion was the ownership of human slaves. There is nothing that flag represents that anyone should be remotely proud about. I would equate the confederate flag with the swastika Germany was rather proud of for a while.

I had ancestors on both sides of the Civil War, and one in particular was highly regarded by the South as a leader in the field. I take no pride in what my southern ancestors did.

Reactions: b.c.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In the UK a comparable flag - in that it was carried by what came to be regarded as rebels in a failed uprising - is the Standard of Bonnie Prince Charlie (1745-46). While the Confederate Flag is well known around the world I doubt one Brit in a thousand would recognise Prince Charlie's flag - and hardly anyone outside of the UK. Maybe some things are best forgotten. For reference it is this: Bonnie_Prince_Charlie's_Glenfinnan_banner.jpg

Reactions: 6inchcock

travis7

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So some German people see the flag of Nazi Germany as a symbol of what their country went through and also feel a little national pride. They choose to fly it on their lawn. Would you have a problem with it? What about those who lost family and friends to the Holocaust and to the war? Would you tell those opposed to just move on?

What do you think of when you see the flag above? What message do you think it sends?

Racism? Slavery? Hatred? White supremacy?

Something worse?

Now, what do you see when you look at the flag? What is actually on the flag?

The color Red? White? Blue? Thirteen stars?

Is that all? See anything else?

Look closer and take some time to actually think about what you are seeing. Examine every detail of the flag and it's design, because the layout of the contents of this flag actually portrays the true message the flag was designed to send.

And for the record... neither the design nor the content have anything to do with racism, slavery, hatred or white supremacy... or anything worse!

All the COLOR could be removed from this flag, leaving just the outline of the details, and the true message the design is sending could still be determined by anyone with a basic knowledge of history.

First of all, this flag is NOT the "Confederate Flag." It is the "Battle Flag of Northern Virginia." This design, however, is the one most synonymous with the term, and the one used in various forms on many of the other flags that were flown by the Confederate States. It is also the one most hated by those who are completely and totally ignorant of what it stands for.

So take another look at the flag and answer this very simple question : Do you see a big letter "X" anywhere on the flag? What if I were to lay that X down on its side like this? :
letter-x-horizontal.gif
Do you see it now? The X is formed by the big, blue bands which are outlined with white trim.

Now take another look at the flag. On this big "X" there are thirteen white stars. Do you know what these thirteen stars represent? They represent the thirteen original, united colonies from which the United States began. Each one of these colonies had its own system of self government... until the start of 'northern aggression' when the northern states began trying to usurp authority over the southern states. This was the main cause of the Civil War.

Point of note : The thirteen stars on this flag appear to lie on the blue X... but in reality, the X lies on the stars, allowing them to shine through.

Now, I'd like to ask you a simple question : Do you remember from your grade-school years how the teachers would sometimes ask you to circle the right answers or picture on a work page, or to put an X on a picture or word or other item that didn't belong in a group? That is the same concept this flag is designed around; the stars are laid out in the pattern of an X, and the blue bands are put on the thirteen stars to show that the southern states no longer wanted to be a part of the union with the northern states. In simpler terms, the message of flag's design is simply this... CROSS US OUT of your Union! The southern states withdrew from the union in a movement called "secession," which led to the Civil War.

That is the only message this flag is sending!

That is all there is to it!

It is just that simple!

If this flag actually represented slavery, hatred, white supremacy, or something worse, as so many biased and uneducated people so foolishly believe, then its design would reflect that by incorporating images of those whom it stood against, and there would be a big X on their images.

But that is NOT what is on this flag!

And that is NOT the message this flag sends!

This flag is NOT racist! NEVER has been! NEVER will be!

And as I stated earlier, all that people need to have to be able to see and understand this obvious truth is a basic knowledge of history... and an ounce of common sense!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

For the record... THIS is the true Confederate flag :
TrueConfederateFlag.jpg

... and this is the seal of the Confederate States :
ConfederateSeal.jpg

... NEITHER ONE OF WHICH show anything suggestive of racism, slavery, hatred or white supremacy on them!