What else did you guys change the name of?

Lol, love the list.
Yup the Frosties tiger is called Tony (he does say "theeey're Grrrreat" :p)

We have Rice Krispies and Coco Pops (dunno what you call 'em).
Yup, Courgette = Zucchini.

I've heard corned beef called bully beef or corned dog (think it's a war time thing).
Also lemon jam tarts are called dirty earholes :p

Other differences:
Bonnet = Hood (car)
Boot = Trunk
Lorry = Truck
Pavement = Sidewalk

I think we also write the date the other way round?
For today's 31/5/09 - you guys would put 5/31/09. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's quite a few minor differences between brand names in the UK and US. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are that the US "Milky Way" chocolate bar is the same as the UK "Mars" bar. The UK version of the "Milky Way" is basically the same as the US "Three Musketeers" bar. What we (in the UK) call "Jelly" you guys in the US call "Jello" (I know thats a particular brand). Just to make things even more confusing "Jelly" in the US is what we in the UK call "Jam".

Other items that are different in the UK and US are "HP Sauce" (UK) and "A1 Steak Sauce" (US), "Walkers" are the same as "Lays" crisps - although they carry different flavours. "Lemonaide" in the UK is carbonated, making it more like Fanta - US Lemonaide is still (and IMO, much nicer), similar to UK "squash".

Other words which are different are:
Jumper (UK) / Sweater (US)
Pants (UK) / Briefs (US)
Lift (UK) / Elevator (US)
Motorway (UK) / Highway (US)
Lorry (UK) / Truck (US)
Toilet (UK) / Bathroom (US)

I spent far too much time writing this post...!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What we (in the UK) call "Jelly" you guys in the US call "Jello" (I know thats a particular brand). Just to make things even more confusing "Jelly" in the US is what we in the UK call "Jam".

Our Jello is gelatin eaten for dessert. We have Jam and Jelly here. I prefer jam. Jelly is similar tasting but is more solid resembling jello until it is put on bread.

, "Walkers" are the same as "Lays" crisps (CHIPS)- although they carry different flavours.

"Lemonaide" in the UK is carbonated, making it more like Fanta - US Lemon-line soda. 7up and Sprite
Lemonaide is still (and IMO, much nicer), similar to UK "squash". (Lemon juice, sugar and water)

:dance:

Couple more...

Windscreen (UK) = Windshield (US)
Public School (UK) = Private School (US)
State School (UK) = Public School (US)

Dunno why our 'public' schools are actually private, but there ya go. :p

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Hellmans/Best Food mayo (this may have changed now to Hellmans in the US too)

East of the Mississippi River, it is Hellmann's, but west of the Rocky Mountains, it is called Best Foods. Unilever owns the company.

The same continental divide changes the name of ice cream--Edy's (East) and Dreyer's (West), both ice creams are Nestle products.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
East of the Mississippi River, it is Hellmann's, but west of the Rocky Mountains, it is called Best Foods. Unilever owns the company.

The same continental divide changes the name of ice cream--Edy's (East) and Dreyer's (West), both ice creams are Nestle products.

The slogan is:
Bring home the Hellmann's and bring home the Best. :wink::biggrin1:

My High School was near the Unilever (Lever Bros.) factory at Port Sunlight (hence Sunlight Soap, lol) - it bloody stunk of soap at break times lol. :p