What exactly is gay, straight, and bi?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Well, there are no fixed definitions for gay, straight and bi, at least not on this site, since people don't seem to take much notice of other people's orientation percentages on here. I guess it's assumed that folks aren't being honest about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love getting feedback from both genders, and I don't mind getting a sexual question/flirtation from a guy as that's part of being here, but what I hate is being accused of being in denial in the vein of "how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it?"

I really enjoy sex with women and I fantasize about them all the time. To accuse me of perhaps being bi without knowing it is just absurd to me.

I guess I wish people would have at least a certain degree of faith in what others tell them regarding their sexuality, and that the people in denial would just come clean about their true orientation. Not every seemingly straight dude is a bisexual in disguise, desperately trying to escape his wife by hopping on the computer in order to score a blowjob from another guy on the side. And if you are that dude, fair enough, but don't claim that you're straight.

I believe you are very comfortable with your sexuality. And that's a good thing.:biggrin1:

dion909693

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well, there are no fixed definitions for gay, straight and bi, at least not on this site, since people don't seem to take much notice of other people's orientation percentages on here. I guess it's assumed that folks aren't being honest about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love getting feedback from both genders, and I don't mind getting a sexual question/flirtation from a guy as that's part of being here, but what I hate is being accused of being in denial in the vein of "how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it?"

I really enjoy sex with women and I fantasize about them all the time. To accuse me of perhaps being bi without knowing it is just absurd to me.

I guess I wish people would have at least a certain degree of faith in what others tell them regarding their sexuality, and that the people in denial would just come clean about their true orientation. Not every seemingly straight dude is a bisexual in disguise, desperately trying to escape his wife by hopping on the computer in order to score a blowjob from another guy on the side. And if you are that dude, fair enough, but don't claim that you're straight.

Very true.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I haven't read the other posts here, but in my mind, there is no definitive label according to sex. Some people like girls more than guys, and vice-versa. But just because I've been messing around with guys for a while doesn't make me gay, because I've done a lot with girls too.
In my mind, you're straight if you want to LIVE and LOVE a person of the opposite gender, and you're gay if you want to LIVE and LOVE a person of the same sex.

I think you need more messing around with guys. :smile:

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We need to stop using the labels gay and straight to define sexuality.
Why not the older and more correct terms of homosexual and heterosexual.
Gay and straight are CULTURES now. Activities, actions, philosophies, etc.
Gay men tend to do X, Y, and Z things more than straight men... when it comes to music, food, entertainment, hygiene, etc. Sure, there are exceptions and there's a range, but gay and straight are really cultures in our modern world. That's why there are self-defining straight men who are more into guys than into women, sexually, and why there are gay men who are more into women than guys sexually.
Man 1 could be 90% heterosexual / 10% homosexual, and 60% straight / 40% gay.
Sounds reductionist, but it's an easy way to look at things. The numbers are the relative amount of time/energy he has spent / is spending / will spend finding or doing each thing. 90% of the time he fantasizes about women, and 10% of the time he fantasizes about men, say. And 100% of the time, maybe, he messes around with women, but still finds men attractive on one level. Man B could be 50% hetero / 50% homo and 90% straight / 10% gay. He is equally attracted--sexually here, not just
physical/affectionate... there's a difference---to both men and women. He loves dick and pussy. But, his culture--the way he lives--is much more straight than gay. He's never watched Will and Grace and has never sewed curtains and doesn't own a candle, etc. Ok, lame stereotypes, but you get where I'm going. ***The confusion in all of this is that people are on MORE than just ONE one-dimensional spectrum here.*** People are more complex than that; if you make a spectrum of desires and abilities, there are more than one. Humans are 2D, 3D, 4D in that way. We need to
start using 'gay' and 'straight' like anthropologists and sociologists do... they are cultures, not sexualities. Heterosexual and homosexual, by definition, are sexualities.
I'm 90/10 or 80/20 hetero/homo and prob. 80/20 or 70/30 straight/gay. Those are my sexuality and culture ratios... how much time/energy I spend on the wanting, doing, finding, being. Now, I am on a 2D square of space, instead of just trying to fit on one line... which doesn't work and is why this debate/discussion exists in the first place.

I just KNEW that I was missing out on something as a gay man, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know: I have never sewn curtains!!! :frown1:

Bunny35

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
to me you just know if you like guys or gals. Im sure there is something in between, however its just one of those things you know. If you need to question it you need to either be honest with yourself or stop seeking approval from others. Just be who you are!

Bruce1957

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just KNEW that I was missing out on something as a gay man, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know: I have never sewn curtains!!! :frown1:

I haven't sewn any curtains for over 30 years - does that mean I'm now straight?