What fitness level do you look for in a romantic partner?

Level of physical fitness you prefer, compared to yourself?

• Total voters

blkcocktail

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When it comes to finding a partner for a romantic relationship, compared to yourself...what level of physical fitness are you looking for?
  • Someone greater
  • Someone equal to
  • Someone less than
  • Not important

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would be highly unlikely I find a female who has greater fitness than myself, since I am a very tall and athletic male. Anyway, I'd prefer a fit or athletic female because she would probably enjoy the things that I like to do.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
someone who can bring me a cup of tea in the morning while I'm in bed ...

but actually I wouldn't automatically rule out someone who was physically disabled ... why not be open ... a shopping list and romance are not always the perfect match ... sanity, inancial independence, penis size and education level are probably more important (speaking now as a deeply shallow flippant person)

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Fitness level doesn't matter so much as their attitude and willingness to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Attitude is a lot harder to change than physical fitness level.

I'd be much more attracted to a guy with a bit extra but who tries to cook healthy foods for himself, has committed to working out regularly, etc than to a guy with lucky genetics who has a good body but lives on fasts food, beer and cigarettes and thinks they're going to stay that way forever.

If someone has the right attitude and willpower, supporting them and helping them get into shape is easy (and they're more likely to stay that way).

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am a sensual being. I live experience to experience. I breathe novelty and eat thrills. I don't really care what level of fitness my partner has, as long as he's not emaciated, willfully derailing himself, nor holding me back from my wellness goals, nor keeping me from experiencing new sensations, and absorbing new sights, sounds, and flavors from life.

I go to the gym almost every day, sometimes twice. I don't care if he doesn't want to join me; I'd only care if he wanted to stop me. I'm an avid bird watcher. I don't care if he finds my nature walks boring, as long as he either leaves me to my own volition, or comes along and is silent and doesn't scare the birds. If he comes with, which I'd prefer, he has to be healthy enough to keep up with me in the swamp. I guess it's helpful for him to be stronger than I am. If I miss my class and have to do my heavy lifting by myself, he should be willing and able to spot me. Also, I like rock wall climbing. My ideal partner doesn't have to climb, but he needs to be willing and able to belay.

Before I was active, I was looking for a partner who was far more active than I, and in way better shape. I wanted him to inspire me, and teach me to be the kind of person I wanted to be. Now, I've made my changes, and I'm happy to inspire my dude to get up and do stuff, or come back from doing my thing and find he's kept a place warm for me on the couch. I'm a sensual being. There's nothing like a snuggle on a soft, warm sofa.

Big4Asia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
nobody seems to want to say 'somebody who will keep up with me in bed."

Maybe I'm shallow, but I don't wanna be worrying about a guy having a heart attack during sex or a women who can't quite manage to hold positions that she loves but hasn't the core to hold.

fitness matters to me - and while I don't expect anyone that I'm with to join me in my every workout and activity, a shared interest in staying healthy, strong, flexible and hot is a big plus.

As Chris Hitchens said "As you get older you discover that you don't HAVE a body, you ARE a body"...

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's a difference between fantasy and reality. Fantasy says to go for an all natural fitness model. Reality says to go for the person who is most compatible with you in as many "categories" as possible, physical fitness being one of them.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always look for a girl that is similar to me in athletic level. Im not opposed to greater at all but i voted for same because im a varsity atglete at my university so greater would be harder to find.

Most people in kinesiology are into fitness so most girls I see around me are with in or slightly lower fitness.

I just don't want to be with someone that is over weight and out of shape. So less than is also OK as long as she is still physically active. Which is most likely why Ive dated and have been interested in other athletes or girls that work out

Last edited:
Reactions: sangheili90

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's a difference between fantasy and reality. Fantasy says to go for an all natural fitness model. Reality says to go for the person who is most compatible with you in as many "categories" as possible, physical fitness being one of them.

Most fitness models you see, both men and women, are by no means fit in any real sense.

Jeff Powers

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fitness level doesn't matter so much as their attitude and willingness to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Attitude is a lot harder to change than physical fitness level.

I'd be much more attracted to a guy with a bit extra but who tries to cook healthy foods for himself, has committed to working out regularly, etc than to a guy with lucky genetics who has a good body but lives on fasts food, beer and cigarettes and thinks they're going to stay that way forever.

If someone has the right attitude and willpower, supporting them and helping them get into shape is easy (and they're more likely to stay that way).
Bingo! Exactly what I was going to say....

Reactions: nailz

DexterMorgan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Most fitness models you see, both men and women, are by no means fit in any real sense.
Excellent point! The people presenting this illusion of physical fitness are usually dehydrated and calorie deprived when you see them competing on a stage. You could knock some of them over with a feather.

DexterMorgan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
And if I may add....having been around them for a long time....I find fitness nazis to be the least enjoyable people to be around for any length of time.

And what is physical fitness anyway ? The image promoted in popular culture ? I've completely changed everything, and I run half marathons, and hopefully soon, full marathons. To be good and competitive, I've lost a fair amount of weight...and a lot of it was upper body muscle. If I were to start dating again, I'm sure someone would try to tell me I need to "hit the gym" and starting putting muscle back on my arms and chest. Ain't gonna happen! No way I can run as competitively at the weight as I can now.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And if I may add....having been around them for a long time....I find fitness nazis to be the least enjoyable people to be around for any length of time.

And what is physical fitness anyway ? The image promoted in popular culture ? I've completely changed everything, and I run half marathons, and hopefully soon, full marathons. To be good and competitive, I've lost a fair amount of weight...and a lot of it was upper body muscle. If I were to start dating again, I'm sure someone would try to tell me I need to "hit the gym" and starting putting muscle back on my arms and chest. Ain't gonna happen! No way I can run as competitively at the weight as I can now.

Having upper body strength is important to have, but relying on solely the standard gym bro exercises (machine presses, bench presses, seated presses etc.) will not necessarily translate over to more athletic type power.

Reactions: DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Having upper body strength is important to have, but relying on solely the standard gym bro exercises (machine presses, bench presses, seated presses etc.) will not necessarily translate over to more athletic type power.
Very true....and you'll notice athletes train differently than those who train for aesthetics.....

Reactions: Gelflingfay

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Very true....and you'll notice athletes train differently than those who train for aesthetics.....
And even among athletes it can vary by sport and position. A hockey player vs. a basketball player will train and look differently. And an American football quarterback will look and train differently than a defenseman or a wide receiver.