What font do you use on your resume?

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm wondering what fonts people use for theirs. Right now I'm using Book Antiqua, size 12 and up for headers and 11 and down for everything else

Also, any HR people here care to give any advice on the matter? I would think that as long as it's professional and easy to read, font wouldn't matter too much. Although if you've been reading Times New Roman for an hour I can see how switching fonts would make you not want to read it. Input?

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm wondering what fonts people use for theirs. Right now I'm using Book Antiqua, size 12 and up for headers and 11 and down for everything else

Also, any HR people here care to give any advice on the matter? I would think that as long as it's professional and easy to read, font wouldn't matter too much. Although if you've been reading Times New Roman for an hour I can see how switching fonts would make you not want to read it. Input?
I use the same font, but 12 and 10 to make sure mine is only 2 pages. If I used 11 it would go on 3 pages.

The things I have been told to avoid is off beat fonts like comic sans, and not to use multiple fonts. If you really want you can use 2 different ones, but that is it.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I use Helvetica, like the good hipster I am.

No, really, I use a bold sans-serif font for the header. It's not helvetica, but it looks a lot like it. I waffle between Book Antiqua and another whose name I forget at the moment for the body of the resume.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use a mixture of Curlz and Wingdings. I'm trying to get into politics.

I think Comic Sans would be more appropriate for that venture!

I worked for an advertising agency briefly in Atlanta, and we had a sideline doing résumés. The only two fonts allowed were EITHER Times OR Helvetica. Rarely were they mixed except for headings, that is, one used for the body and the other used for headings. I believe the art director called it "tension," whatever that means. But don't use anything fancy especially if you're applying to a large company.

The cleaner the copy the better it will scan. Yep, they scan them in and do a computer search for keywords.

So forget the creative look and go for the creative writing! LOL!

Anyway good luck!

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've always thought it weird that it should matter. Obviously it needs to be readable in both size and form but shouldn't whether or not you get the job depend on your skills not whether or not you use the right font?
For the record, I'm not currently searching for jobs. I had no idea this font stuff even mattered.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
I use Times New Roman (for the reason Elle explained)

To get attention I use a larger font on headings and BOLD/CAP.
I use a smaller type for the body (or description of duties) being sure to itaicize for emphasis on something if I want their eyes to be drawn to particular phrases.

On the cover letter,
I make it a brief summary with one introductory paragraph, bullets to highlight experiences, and a closing paragraph. Short and simple. One page~

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've always thought it weird that it should matter. Obviously it needs to be readable in both size and form but shouldn't whether or not you get the job depend on your skills not whether or not you use the right font?
You can't fight the wind.
There are all kinds of irrational factors that have importance in just about any area of life. Best to have them on your side, trivial though they may seem.

One very untrivial reason to pick your font carefully is to have something that scans accurately. Some apparently don't. That's why simple fonts are better.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I read a lot of resumes and while I hate Times New Roman, it's fine. I prefer Tahoma or Arial. 10 - 12. Simple fonts are best.

Font, spelling and grammar all matter. Your resume shouldn't look crowded and there should be good use of white space.

Everyone who reads resumes has their little quirks. I like it when your name is on each page of your resume so when the pages get separated, I can tell who page 2 belongs to. I don't want more than 2 pages, and I don't want your references unless I decide to interview you for the position. I do NOT like coloured paper.

For the record, I'm not currently searching for jobs. I had no idea this font stuff even mattered.

If you ever had to read through literally 1000 resumes to fill one position, you would begin to understand how important readibility is. The right font, right size is critical. If I have to work to read your resume, I'm not going to do it. You might have the best set of skills in the world, but I won't find out about it because your resume isn't clear.

On first reading, we scan through - so what you want us to know should jump out at us. We only truly read and pore over the good ones that make it through the first round or two of scans.

Last edited:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Helvetica?
Funny, my 2003 version of MS Word doesn't have Helvetica.
What font is similar?
Anyone know?

Arial or any sans-serif font. See! I learned something! Thanks to the AdPad I know what a sans-serif font is!!!