What Gives Your Life Meaning?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What gets you up every morning?

What motivates you?

What prevents you from having an existential crisis?

What gets me up?

boredom. (lying in bed is boring) greed (job)

What motivates me?

hedonism. boredom. habit.

What prevents me from having an existential crisis?

Mostly denial. Not thinking too much. The only other solution is self-delusion. and I think I'm too smart for that. denial is the next best thing.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What gets me up?

What motivates me?

Mostly denial. Not thinking too much. The only other solution is self-delusion. and I think I'm too smart for that. denial is the next best thing.

It sounds like you are 28 going on 52 NIC. What are you in denial about? Smart guy like you, the world should be your oyster. :tongue:

Your life reads like a Camus novel.

What gets me up?

What motivates me?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It sounds like you are 28 going on 52 NIC. What are you in denial about? Smart guy like you, the world should be your oyster. :tongue:

Denial about the fact that life is pointless. It doesn't upset me because I don't worry about it. I guess I'm not really denying it... I just avoid thinking about it.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Denial about the fact that life is pointless. It doesn't upset me because I don't worry about it. I guess I'm not really denying it... I just avoid thinking about it.

Life is only pointless if you fail to give it any meaning IMO. When I was your age, no younger maybe around 24 I went through a difficult midlife existential crisis. I imagine all thinking people do so you are in good company. But slowly you begin to piece it together and realize it's more fulfilling to live deliberately than adrift.

Oh trust me. I've been there yet I can't reconcile that life is pointless. I have no evidence that life has a purpose but nor is there evidence that it doesn't.

My question is simply, what purpose does life serve in the universe? Molecules moving around, assembling, developing into cells which consume, eliminate, and reproduce? How does life exist as a physics and chemistry question rather than a biological one? We can't answer that. Nor, if current quantum theory is correct, can we until we know what are the other seven dimensions we can't even detect at this point.

We think we know a lot but really we're still chained to the wall of the cave watching shadow plays.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What Gives Your Life Meaning? <---correcting spelling on a forum :tongue: j/k What gets you up every morning? Sometimes it's my mom, sometimes I actually hear the alarm clock. :biggrin1: Lately it's cause it's noon and I know I need to take my meds.

What motivates you? What motivates most people? Fear? Love? Hate? A desire to have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, and food in their fridge. I think thats why most people get up and go to work. Though there are always that small, yet annoying handful of people who love their jobs.

What prevents you from having an existential crisis? Every time someone uses the phrase existential crisis I have to google the definition because I can't remember what it means. :tongue::redface:

What could possibly lead me to an existential crisis? The fact I am a cancer survivor, have 3 useless degrees and an above average IQ? :mad: Or maybe the fact I have had 3 nervous breakdowns in the past 10 years, the fact I have 2 diseases which won't kill me but do make daily life difficult and sometimes painful.

I don't have time to worry about why I'm here. I am too busy just trying to live a healthy life and BE here.

Life is only pointless if you fail to give it any meaning IMO.... But slowly you begin to piece it together and realize it's more fulfilling to live deliberately than adrift.

Bravo!

Truly Ryan, I recommend not waiting until you're 41 like I did. Have your crisis sooner. Reading Camus will help induce one if you don't hang yourself afterwards.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bravo!

Truly Ryan, I recommend not waiting until you're 41 like I did. Have your crisis sooner. Reading Camus will help induce one if you don't hang yourself afterwards.

LMAO, that is exacly why I avoided Camus. I read Herman Hesse's "Siddartha" instead. "Peaceful Warrior" was another one. Nothing I read really struck a cord in me though.

Jason, don't you think that existential crisis flares up every few years though, regardless.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media

:confused: Routine

What motivates you?

:confused: Nothing, same shit, different day

I think i am in the midst of a life crisis. Things aren't going well at the moment

Ouch. That smarts because I live to spell corretcly. :biggrin1:

Oh really?

Jason, don't you think that existential crisis flares up every few years though, regardless.

Any time we pass through a stage of growth we question what our meaning is. Remember adolescence? Growth doesn't stop at 18 or 21. As we explore ourselves and our world, discover new things, we have to adjust. It's natural to ask, what do we get for it all? What's the prize?

It's so bizarre to reference this quote as I just did again for a separate reason, but I think it fits:

I try not to intellectualize such things as this but concentrate on what makes me excited about life and pursue those things. Passion. Those are my vehicles. It can be as simple as cooking the very best meal for friends, boxing at lunch or sketching. The vehicles are the things you do everyday and who you are everyday. It is not magic nor mysterious.
By that bit of wisdom, I'd say the meaning of life is in its living. If life has no meaning for you then look at how you're living and then find your passions and work them into your life to enrich your daily living. I daresay you'll be happier for doing so. I am.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh really?

Any time we pass through a stage of growth we question what our meaning is. Remember adolescence? Growth doesn't stop at 18 or 21. As we explore ourselves and our world, discover new things, we have to adjust. It's natural to ask, what do we get for it all? What's the prize?

It's so bizarre to reference this quote as I just did again for a separate reason, but I think it fits:

I try not to intellectualize such things as this but concentrate on what makes me excited about life and pursue those things. Passion. Those are my vehicles. It can be as simple as cooking the very best meal for friends, boxing at lunch or sketching. The vehicles are the things you do everyday and who you are everyday. It is not magic nor mysterious.​
By that bit of wisdom, I'd say the meaning of life is in its living. If life has no meaning for you then look at how you're living and then find your passions and work them into your life to enrich your daily living. I daresay you'll be happier for doing so. I am.

Geeeez - Who wrote that bit of wisdom? Thanks for the mirror. :tongue:

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The sun

What motivates you?

My curiosity

My love of adventure and knowing that I do have the power to change myself and my circumstances. I also know myself quite well.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I try not to intellectualize such things as this but concentrate on what makes me excited about life and pursue those things. Passion. Those are my vehicles. It can be as simple as cooking the very best meal for friends, boxing at lunch or sketching. The vehicles are the things you do everyday and who you are everyday. It is not magic nor mysterious.

Very true. Intellectualizing the motivations for your everyday life and routine actions may seem very intellectual, but is rather productive nor efficient. Why do I do most things? Either because they need to be done, or because they are part of my drill, or because they are interesting to me. There is only little poetry in them, and I don't even try to see it in them.

However, rumbling along like this, I sometimes find myself in situations that make the day. Or to be more specific, I don't pursue happiness, but I find it and exploit it when I have it. And whenever I am in one of these situations, I think that this has been worth getting up today, or getting this and that job done.

I am currently taking flight hours to get the amount I need to apply for my ATP license. Last week I have had a bad day on that and totally screwed up on the simulator. Yesterday I was up for a time in a real plane, and the background thought of my simulator experience made me want to stay in bed and ditch the lesson. I decided against that, and mastered the flight - after which I was completely happy. Just one example of what I mean, it doesn't always have to be as complicated and big time. Usually I can derive happiness from the smallest things, like a song I like playing on the radio in the morning. Clearing out boxes and finding my old college notebooks (For better memorizing, I used a very graphic and sometimes laconic/ironic style in my written notes).