What Gives Your Life Meaning?

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Whilst never wanting to be too cliche, my short answer to each of those questions is simply, "love."

What gets you up every morning?

My goal/dream/ambition/desire (call it what you will) of being in love and spending the rest of my life with someone is what gets me up every morning.
I don't have a specific career, house, location or social standing that I aspire to; I simply want to find somebody I love, who loves me back, and to spend the rest of my life with them. (And I believe I've already accomplished that; it's now time for me to live my dream, and I'll never take this blessing for granted, nor regret my decisions.)

What motivates you?

Similar to my previous answer - the desire to attain my dream(s). Once attained, my desire to keep them becomes my motivation.

To delve into possibly sappy, romantic specifics - mercurialbliss is what motivates me. But not simply because she is my partner, but as a friend. Over the past few years I dropped out of college [twice], had no job, did little to help my friends or family and basically achieved no form of productivity whatsoever. Admittedly a valid portion of this was to do with illness, but that was still no excuse.
When I began talking with her and we became friends, I learned of her birthday and, armed with that knowledge and friendship, began making plans to come and see here for her birthday as a surprise: I needed to generate some income, get in shape, organise my entire life, and I did so.
She changed my life far before we ever realised and admitted how we felt about each other - she still is changing it. The momentum and motivation she gave me continues to grow to this day. :redface:

What prevents you from having an existential crisis?

I truly believe that though my body and mind is mortal, my soul (or whichever soul inhabits my body) is not.
Although I believe this to be true, whether it actually is or not, is not an issue for me; my belief in that helps me in life and I expect it will continue to do so.
Therefore, I cannot see myself ever having an existential crisis. I am, however, acutely aware that most anything has the possibility to change. (Perhaps odd for me as I've always carried a rather cold, clinical, outlook on life, largely due to my mostly logical & mathematical mind.)

When I was a teenager, I did go through heavy bout of depression and apathy about life and it's meaning in general, the pointlessness of my existence and my ever-changing understanding of Christianity & Atheism; I doubt that was any kind of crisis, per se.
It was most likely just me being a teenager, possibly amplified a little by my illness and/or level of intelligence.
Either way - as I stated above in response to the second and third questions - my life has and is still changing for the better, as are my world views and spiritual beliefs.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I was a teenager, I did go through heavy bout of depression and apathy about life and it's meaning in general, the pointlessness of my existence and my ever-changing understanding of Christianity & Atheism; I doubt that was any kind of crisis, per se.
It was most likely just me being a teenager, possibly amplified a little by my illness and/or level of intelligence.
Either way - as I stated above in response to the second and third questions - my life has and is still changing for the better, as are my world views and spiritual beliefs.

When you are older than your years, life can be frustrating. People your age don't get you and older people are sometimes condescending because they feel you don't have the experience they think is required for an existential crisis. These are the moments where it's sometimes best to nod your head, smile, and do what you know is best for you. There are exceptions to every rule. When that's the case, the rules sometimes need to be tweaked or simply thrown out the window, no?

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1. What gets you up every morning?
2. What motivates you?
3. What prevents you from having an existential crisis?

1. Usually, I have to piss!
2. I seek a new challenge every single day!
3. I am too busy to tolerate having an existential crisis!

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What gets you up every morning?

Love, (partner, friends, family).... without love, what's the point?

What motivates you?

Again love, there's nothing in this world without that connection, for me anyway.

What prevents you from having an existential crisis?

My regard for those whom I love, holding it together for them, when my world is falling apart. It's tough for all of us, so many times in this life.

First time I've ever posted a face pic :yikes:, but here is myself (yours truly) and the lovely fella that I have woken up to for these last 3 years.

edandpad.jpg
:kiss:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
My life has and is still changing for the better, as are my world views and spiritual beliefs.

Very moving post.
May I just say, N_S, that one of things that most impressed me about you ... put flesh on the somewhat sketchy impression we always get through Internet postings ... was your voice.
An incredibly beautiful, musical voice that could only come from a very warm being.
That's what I thought.
(I wonder if it's still accessible on the LPSG Voices thread.)
Of course, you really lucked into something with Bliss. And vice versa.
Something's rollin' out right.:biggrin1:

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media
What gets me up every morning?
Experience. After experiencing for an extended period of time of not want to get up in the morning I eventually realized that the problem was at the level of my thinking. I was thinking things that were were based on unfounded beliefs that did not serve me. Once I eliminated the reason I believed them through a very long and sometimes painful journey from Christianity to atheism. I found that there was nothing to stop me but me. Today I get up with no problems. I look forward to the day and I love my life more now than I ever did in the past.

What motivates me?
I generate my own motivation. I have personal goals now that I never felt I was worthy of in the past. I have a desire to see them to fruition through my own effort taking all the credit for what I do. Should I make a mistake I willingly take the blame for the consequences. That way I learn from my mistakes.

What prevents me from having an existential crisis?
Acceptance of that which is and the fact that it cannot be changed. We are born, we live, we die and cease to exist. I accept that. No reason to have a crisis over it.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whilst never wanting to be too cliche, my short answer to each of those questions is simply, "love."

My goal/dream/ambition/desire (call it what you will) of being in love and spending the rest of my life with someone is what gets me up every morning.
I don't have a specific career, house, location or social standing that I aspire to; I simply want to find somebody I love, who loves me back, and to spend the rest of my life with them. (And I believe I've already accomplished that; it's now time for me to live my dream, and I'll never take this blessing for granted, nor regret my decisions.)

Similar to my previous answer - the desire to attain my dream(s). Once attained, my desire to keep them becomes my motivation.

To delve into possibly sappy, romantic specifics - mercurialbliss is what motivates me. But not simply because she is my partner, but as a friend. Over the past few years I dropped out of college [twice], had no job, did little to help my friends or family and basically achieved no form of productivity whatsoever. Admittedly a valid portion of this was to do with illness, but that was still no excuse.
When I began talking with her and we became friends, I learned of her birthday and, armed with that knowledge and friendship, began making plans to come and see here for her birthday as a surprise: I needed to generate some income, get in shape, organise my entire life, and I did so.
She changed my life far before we ever realised and admitted how we felt about each other - she still is changing it. The momentum and motivation she gave me continues to grow to this day. :redface:

I truly believe that though my body and mind is mortal, my soul (or whichever soul inhabits my body) is not.
Although I believe this to be true, whether it actually is or not, is not an issue for me; my belief in that helps me in life and I expect it will continue to do so.
Therefore, I cannot see myself ever having an existential crisis. I am, however, acutely aware that most anything has the possibility to change. (Perhaps odd for me as I've always carried a rather cold, clinical, outlook on life, largely due to my mostly logical & mathematical mind.)

One of the best posts on this subject. Also, one of the most sensible.

I'm glad you have gotten to this point in your life. I so want to get there myself. I just wish I could find that special someone to love. I seriously doubt that I ever will, though...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wow. How do I even begin to answer this?

Everything gives my life meaning. The fact that I'm here gives my life meaning. Waking up every morning to the face of the most beautiful child I have ever had the pleasure of knowing gives my life meaning. Hearing him say, "Mom, I love you with all my heart and soul and every fiber of my Superman being." gives my life meaning. Feeling his small chubby arms wrapped around my neck gives my life meaning. Seeing his toothless little grin on a daily basis gives my life meaning. Knowing that there are people in this world that need me and love me gives my life meaning. Knowing that I have a purpose gives my life meaning. Hearing the birds chirp outside my window at 7am gives my life meaning. Smelling freshly cut grass and dancing in the rain gives my life meaning. Being in love gives my life meaning.

I could go on forever. :smile:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow. How do I even begin to answer this?

Everything gives my life meaning. The fact that I'm here gives my life meaning. Waking up every morning to the face of the most beautiful child I have ever had the pleasure of knowing gives my life meaning. Hearing him say, "Mom, I love you with all my heart and soul and every fiber of my Superman being." gives my life meaning. Feeling his small chubby arms wrapped around my neck gives my life meaning. Seeing his toothless little grin on a daily basis gives my life meaning. Knowing that there are people in this world that need me and love me gives my life meaning. Knowing that I have a purpose gives my life meaning. Hearing the birds chirp outside my window at 7am gives my life meaning. Smelling freshly cut grass and dancing in the rain gives my life meaning. Being in love gives my life meaning.

I could go on forever. :smile:

You are very luck to have this outlook on life.

I don't think my life has meaning, or reason...

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The beating of her heart. Hearing her call my name. The devotion to eachother. A divine connection between us of mind, body and soul.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
When you are older than your years, life can be frustrating. People your age don't get you and older people are sometimes condescending because they feel you don't have the experience they think is required for an existential crisis. These are the moments where it's sometimes best to nod your head, smile, and do what you know is best for you. There are exceptions to every rule. When that's the case, the rules sometimes need to be tweaked or simply thrown out the window, no?

Spot on, as usual, sweetie.

Very moving post.
May I just say, N_S, that one of things that most impressed me about you ... put flesh on the somewhat sketchy impression we always get through Internet postings ... was your voice.
An incredibly beautiful, musical voice that could only come from a very warm being.
That's what I thought.
(I wonder if it's still accessible on the LPSG Voices thread.)
Of course, you really lucked into something with Bliss. And vice versa.
Something's rollin' out right.:biggrin1:

To my own ears, my voice is dry, monotonous and uninspired. (My voice also started breaking before almost anyone I knew and I swear it still hasn't finished. :redface:) But it feels good to find people who enjoy it, especially ones I truly care about
That said, everyone I've met in the States has enjoyed my accent; you North Americans are crazy!

The beating of her heart. Hearing her call my name. The devotion to eachother. A divine connection between us of mind, body and soul.

You know. :smile:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
To my own ears, my voice is dry, monotonous and uninspired. (My voice also started breaking before almost anyone I knew and I swear it still hasn't finished. :redface:) But it feels good to find people who enjoy it, especially ones I truly care about
That said, everyone I've met in the States has enjoyed my accent; you North Americans are crazy!

Dry? Monotonous? Uninspired?
Weeeelll, yeeessss .... a bit of all of those.
But wunnaphul, N_S.
Wunnaphul.:veryhappy:
Actually, it has a very nice timbre.
Lots of chest resonance, methinks.
And nose ... Pavarotti had lots of that, boi.
But we can't hear our own voices.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very good source of motivation.

I don't know love, and I've all but lost hope...

You can't lose Hope, you just can't Viking! I have it (the word hope)painted on my bedroom wall above my dresser mirror to remind me to never lose it, even when I feel I have. I don't mean to sound like the Mary Tyler Moore show theme song, but love is all around...open your eyes to it. Even if you feel that no one loves you, look around, just watch the love between a mother and child, be it human or animal...it is there...let it lift your spirits and give you hope.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can't lose Hope, you just can't Viking! I have it (the word hope)painted on my bedroom wall above my dresser mirror to remind me to never lose it, even when I feel I have. I don't mean to sound like the Mary Tyler Moore show theme song, but love is all around...open your eyes to it. Even if you feel that no one loves you, look around, just watch the love between a mother and child, be it human or animal...it is there...let it lift your spirits and give you hope.

There is love all around. Just not for me. When I read your post I thought about the song: "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"...