What happened to jasondawg?

Marco26

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why would JasonDawg be banned? He practically ran this site and was a posting machine. Okay, maybe he over-exposed himself, but he is pretty amazing at finding great material...eventhough most of it had nothing to do with LPSG.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
he was banned for one week for linking to his off site blog. ToS violation - Linking to sites used to defame this site or any of its members - This includes links or any other methods used to direct members to off site material that in any way defames the site or its membership

during the week long ban there was a bit of drama and Jason requested that his account be deleted. im not sure if the ban was extended to a perm ban when the ToS was modified or to follow his wishes.

this is all over and was more than a bit ugly, with lots of people hurt... might be the best idea to just let it die again.

ml

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
he was banned for one week for linking to his off site blog. ToS violation - Linking to sites used to defame this site or any of its members - This includes links or any other methods used to direct members to off site material that in any way defames the site or its membership...
This IS still curious to me. That is, he had the blog link and that "defamation" going on for quite a while (MONTHS), and then suddenly, it became an issue. I mentioned it to someone "higher up the food-chain" when he very first put it up, after his early "I'm being persecuted" tantrum. I was privately told to "drop it", that there was NO issue with this, that he was highly favoured, and that I would get myself banned, if I countered or questioned him in any way. He was one of the few on my "ignore" list, added early in his career, so I missed the drama. I'm also not trying to stir any up, but I simply wonder "what changed" for him to go from "untouchable", to suspected, to questioned, to exposed, to banned.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
JasonDawg might have been tagged for extinction when ToS got a make-over.

there was drama hip deep and rising all over the forum with too many people being the target of off site blogs and harassment. i guess Rob_E and the Mod Squad beefed up ToS in an effort to protect the site from legal issues and try to squash some of the hostilities.

ml

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't know how many of you remember the early days of what we then called the "World Wide Web," or before that, online "bulletin boards," but there was a time when the great thing about "chatting" was precisely that you could pretend to be someone you're not. You could try on different identities, and in the process, people learned a lot about themselves and who they wanted to be.

Sometime around 1997, as more people began using the internet, the people who used chat for this kind of self-exploration became outnumbered by the people who used it to try and get laid in real life. For the latter, of course, experimenting with one's identity was a cardinal sin -- self-exploration became "lying about who you are."

It still seems to me that, unless you intend to physically meet the people you chat with online, it shouldn't matter whether they depict themselves accurately. You are interacting with a created character, which is pretty much what you do whenever you read a book or watch a movie.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
It still seems to me that, unless you intend to physically meet the people you chat with online, it shouldn't matter whether they depict themselves accurately. You are interacting with a created character, which is pretty much what you do whenever you read a book or watch a movie.

That is true, the internet is a way of not telling everything.
But what was wrong in my opinion about Jason was the fact that he dared to tell that others were total fake persons and let them check to see if he was right, and suprise, he wasn't.
That is wrong. He can have a fake live, his problem. But yeah, it's cooler that someone is a bit more real then he was.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
You're not really going to look that gift horse in the mouth, are you Novie?...
Well, as I said, it's not so much that I really care in one way or another that it was JDxxx, it's more that I care that I was told to "drop it", because it was a non-issue, then suddenly the issue that I'd long-since reported, became the VERY issue, that got him banned.

I don't know how many of you remember the early days of what we then called the "World Wide Web," or before that, online "bulletin boards," but there was a time when the great thing about "chatting" was precisely that you could pretend to be someone you're not...
I've expanded on this here many times, and this is no attack on YOU, but just briefly, I'll also throw in the history lesson. The "Internet", was created as a means for real people to communicate, and collaborate. It's a glorified telephone. It's a mode of communication, it's not some being, or mystic thing, or even a fantasy-land. It's wires and circuits strung together, as a way of sharing information. People need to get over hiding behind the "but it's the inter-webs" excuse, for exhibiting bad and unacceptable behaviour.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It ok to be secretive about yourself on the internet, its totally another to pretend to be someone else specific. How this guy was able to change his avatar as often as he did is unbelievable.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It ok to be secretive about yourself on the internet, its totally another to pretend to be someone else specific...
Actually, I fully agree with this. Discretion and privacy, are entirely valid, but it's a completely different leap, to change your gender, or age by 20 years, etc., just because you're online, and unhappy with who you really are. However, I still hold that misleading people, and general bad behaviour, shouldn't be excused, no matter what the mode/medium is.