What has obama actually done?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gecko4lif, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im not particularly politically inclined but its seems that the talking heads like to say president Obama hasnt done much

so objectively lets see

President Obama/his administration have:
    -Ended the Iraq War for all intents and purposes
    -Had Don't Ask, Don't Tell end under his administration
    -Appointed the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice
    -Attacked the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act
    -Prevented the US from defaulting, despite the wishes of many on the left and right and much to the displeasure of his base, who didn't want him to compromise.
    -Gotten almost Universal Healthcare passed despite the best efforts of Republicans and Blue Dogs
    -Had Osama bin Laden executed under his watch, something both Presidents Clinton and Bush tried and failed to do.
    -Stopped the Great Recession from turning into Great Depression 2.0, with unemployment slowly declining. Consider that at this point in Reagan's presidency (to compare him with the GOP's idol), unemployment was higher than it is now.
    -Increased minority access to capital
    -Established the Credit Card Bill of Rights, preventing credit card companies from imposing arbitrary rate increases on customers
    -Tax cuts for up to 3.5 million small businesses to help pay for employee health care coverage
    -Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level
    -Added 4.6 billion USD to the Veterans Administration budget to recruit and retain more mental health professionals
    -Significantly increased funding for the Violence Against Women Act
    -Lifted restrictions granting Cuban Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send remittances to the island
    -Eliminated subsidies to private lender middlemen of student loans and protect student borrowers
    -Increased funding for national parks and forests by 10%
    -Significantly expanded Pell grants, which help low-income students pay for college
    -Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans
    -Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading (trading the bank's own money to turn a profit, often in conflict with their customers' interests)
    -Cut prescription drug cost for medicare recipients by 50%
    -Provided $12.2 Billion in new funding for Individuals With Disabilities Education Act
    -Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
    -Appointed more openly gay officials than any other president in US history
    -Signed New START Treaty - nuclear arms reduction pact with Russia
    -Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, restoring basic protections against pay discrimination for women and other workers
    -Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans
    -Issued executive order to repeal Bush era restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research

I miss something?

2. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. cdunstan1

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for making the point although the above isn't really true. He just extended leave benefits.

4. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

5. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Failure of leadership my ass! Too bad the Republicans won control of the House in 2010 -- a minor setback. Just hope all the corporate money, lies and smoke and mirrors don't fool the Voter in 2012!

6. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

What choice do the voters have? The corporate money and lies are supporting Obama. It's either him, or some other corporate shitheel.

7. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Obama deported 400,000 illegals a year :frown1: so I can not vote for him

#7 B_Marius567, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. midlifebear

Gold Member

As I probably mentioned in another thread, Obama hasn't pissed me off yet. And that's something for a cranky "senior citizen" like me. So, I'll most likely be voting for him again in 2012.

9. Q Vee

Q Vee New Member

Albums:
    Fair enough. So, you will be voting Republican then? If so, out of curiosity, which Republican currently competing to be their 2012 Presidential Candidate do you feel will perform better by that standard, and do you believe he or she will actually do more to defend the rights of the less fortunate and why?

For the record, I would have liked to have seen President Obama more aggressively progressive than passively-agressive compromising. I am, though, very appreciative of his successes and highly impressed in his ability to outmaneuver an entire party that has worked so harmoniously and diligently to prevent him from having ANY accomplishments (even when those accomplishments were ideas they supported or may have even initiated) in effort to make him a one term President (even at the expense of the nation and all but 1% of their own constituents).

P.S. Kudos to the STL Cardinals!!! WOW!!!!

10. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

11. chrome416

chrome416 New Member

Albums:
    Obama is getting heat for not doing more while many forgive the fact that he was handed a plate of crap when he became president. He receives more opposition from republicans every day. I wish those same people who are giving Obama such an unfair shake would have held Bush to that standard. He RUINED this country and now everyone wants to blame Obama. I voted for Obama and will admit that I haven't been happy with everything he has done. He has tried to reach too far into the middle and at times looked a little weak. I now see him slowly becoming the Democratic president I voted for. He has a huge task and it will take HIM four more years to fix. Who else would? Perry, Bauchman, Romney? They only make Obama look more a scholar every day.

12. houtx48

Gold Member

The best thing he did was not look and talk like Zippy W. Bush................

13. Q Vee

Q Vee New Member

Albums:
    I am confused as your follow up does not address my question. Also, my comment(s) did not dispute your claim, so supportive data was not warranted but thanks for sharing. No need for further response though, I will just take it to mean you have not made up your mind other than to not vote for President Obama -- as is your right and privilege as an American citizen.

14. ruffboy

Gold Member

the aquaduct...

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry, what?

16. lucky8

Gold Member

What has Obama done? Shit on our Constitution and made his friends richer, like all other recent presidents. The man is a jelly fish

17. BlackGirl

BlackGirl New Member

Illegals are supposed to be deported. No country allows illegal citizens to stay on their soil and the US should be no different. How is deporting people who shouldn't be here a bad thing?

18. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

The man is actually intelligent, understands policy and can communicate.

19. goldenflash

goldenflash New Member

I thought this site was about dicks below the belt, not the dicks on the beltway! When can we talk about actual penises again?

20. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any time you like, but perhaps more comfortably in some place other than the "Politics" forum. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted