What have you eaten or are going to eat for Christmas Lunch/Dinner ?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 25, 2009.

1. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I'm having spiced beef, which is a bit like corned beef, potatoes roasted in goose fat, spinach gratin, purple sprouting brocolli and, chestnut and porkmeat stuffing, bread sauce and chipolatas wrapped in bacon, the last three aren't traditional for a spiced beef dinner but I just like them so what the hell. I'm having a strudel and home made custard for pudding. I expect to need a stomach pumping when I'm done. :tongue:

2. luka82

Gold Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
    Can i join??? LOL
    Well, since my Xmas is in January, first to come is New Year`s eve, so I`m roasting a turkey, and potatoes with it probably. Then I`m making salad Russe, and a sesame salad, they both have tons of mayo, so I might have a heart attack! Also, I`ll be making a salad with garlic and roasted peppers. My mum is going to make two cakes!
    Oh, and in January, for Xmas, we have traditionally pork!
    I may take some pics of the food i`ll make for New Year`s eve and post it here, it won`t be fancy decorated though!!!

3. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I'll be having this 320 calorie turkey dinner.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

I adore Russian Salad, are you going to put Lovage in it or any other herbs ?

You celebrate the Orthodox Christmas then right ? The Epiphany right ?

5. avg_joe

Gold Member

A Seafood Buffet.

6. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, cookies, ham, yams, green bean casserole and more chocolate. In that order.

7. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

I've opted out of eating today. I ate more than enough yesterday.:tongue:
    Went out to dinner with a friend of mine to a Thai place early in the evening and had thai basil beef with bell peppers and a side of jasmine rice. Then went home and had Christmas eve dinner with the family, which was boiled bacalhau, potatoes, hard-boiled eggs and some veggies (traditional Christmas eve dinner). And later on, we went to a freinds' place and had a dessert feast: assorted fruit, Pastéis de Nata/Belém, rabanadas, flan and several other pastries.

Delicious.:smile:

8. luka82

Gold Member

Russian salad by luka ( don`t ask me about measurements, i hardly use them, and if so, they are metric, but i think I can do pounds, lol)
    -carrots 1 pound
    -potatoes 1 pound
    -pickles 1 pound
    -chicken breast, or ham, 1 pound
    ( as far as these 4 are concerned, u need the same amount)
    1/2 pound of peas
    -2 parnships
    -1 celery root
    -4-5 hard boiled eggs
    -lots of mayo, more mayo happier salad!
    Boil our the vegies and eggs( all but pickles), and cut them into really small cubes( all but peas, peas need to be hole!!!!), don`t use blender, it will look fugly!!!
    Do the same with chicken breast.
    Mix it all together, and use tons of mayo, ordinary mayo, not with any taste!!!
    Add some salt and pepper!
    decorate it chopped parsley..
    Oh, and I`m ortodox:):):)

9. D_Tim McGnaw

Wow that sounds delicious, and huge! The chicken and ham are a new one on me, I've made Russian Salad with Beetroot, Peas, Potatoes, Celery, Pickles, Asparagus (in season), lots of chopped Lovage and lots of chopped Dill and then lots and lots of Mayonaisse. I might chuck some cooked or smoked chicken breast in next time I make it...

10. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Starter was a pasta with shrimps and a special sauce with cream as a base. To that cream we added sliced onion and garlic, then some Pernod (pastis) flambé and then some safran.

main course was turkey on a layer of carots and onions in the oven with some chicken stock. We ate that with croquettes and some broad beans.

and as a dessert we had rice puddingh, tiramisu (two versions, one on the original way, and the other we replaced the cookie with a biscuit spiced with cinnamon), chocolatemousse

11. luka82

Gold Member

Trust me, this is soooooooooo delicious...
    cut the measures in half and make it:)

12. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov Account Disabled

What a coincidence! We had much the same as you did: boiled bacalhau (= codfish) with potatoes, hard eggs, kale, onions etc and the dessert was rabanada (bread slices soaked in milk + condensed milk and then in beaten eggs, fried in oil, and spiced with cinammon sugar - yummy). This looks like Portuguese or Brazilian food. Right?

13. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Yup, it was Portuguese food.:smile:

14. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

NO WAY!!! Those are dangerous...have you thought this through??? :wink:

15. BIGDP

BIGDP Member

Albums:
    My Christmas was an adventure-- we were trying to go to Northern Oklahoma on Christmas Eve, but could not get past OK City because of the blizzard of the century. We had to turn around and find a hotel room in Ardmore, OK. I walked through the snow and ice to the IHOP in Ardmore across from the hotel to get something for us to eat. I fell three times...it was Christmas eve, and how many times did Christ fall on Easter? Snow was soft, so I didn't get hurt.

I'm irreverent and not religious.

Oh...what did we eat??? Appetizer plate (fried, fried, fried) and I ate a hamburger with onion rings.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM BIGDP!!!

#15 BIGDP, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  16. exwhyzee

Gold Member

...and it was good. :tongue:

17. D_Tim McGnaw

So are you on a diet then or is the low-cal christmas dinner just a thing ? :tongue:

18. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I'm not a cook...plus I'm very lazy...so...its all about convenience. :rolleyes:

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

For breakfast, my hubby made quiche, sausage, bacon, and pastries. We ate breakfast and then decided we wanted to see Avatar in 3D (it was awesome, by the way!).

Then we came home and made dinner. My Bear made a ham with bourbon glaze sauce and mac and cheese. I made cornbread dressing, steamed kale (with smoked turkey leg) and baked sweet potato wedges. We had evening Mimosas and had and great time with the kids.

20. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

as I stayed at my home computer working on quarterly, and year-end reports, didn't visit with friends or family, I had peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a glass of pumpkin pie-spiced soy milk

Draft saved Draft deleted