What have you learned so far about life?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For the most part, the way you treat your body in your twenties is the way your body is going to treat you in your forties... fifties...or sixties...but it will exact it's revenge! :eek:

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Certain saying you hear should not be believed. Some say that "There is no such thing as a stupid question." I assure, there is. And you are likely to ask and/or be asked one before the day is over.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Its always or for a long time been like this but we didn't know or notice. And its gotten worse but slowly we know. Not that we can do much about it.

Oxfam - 1% of the population will soon own 50% of the world's wealth.
51% of american's children live in poverty - southern education { center ? }
91% of recent college graduates are in jobs that barely cover cost of living
expenses - forgot the source but it might not be a fact

It always been hard to find a job and if you found one chances are it didn't pay much.
So its a futile search. There aren't many jobs or never were jobs that paid a good salary.
But the steel industry , auto industries did have decent salaries , if you lived in those areas , when they thrived.

It did look better if you had a college degree on your resume but unless it was from MIT it didn't make that much of a difference. It probably did help you find a job but it was probably a low paying one. But the world was your playland if you were a genius or technically gifted.

So where are we now and where are we going. The last great hope of college graduates in general. Law school.

UC Hasting in sf { use to be in the top 20 }
Estimated cost for 3 years - $300,000
8% interest { lower for now but normal }
After 8 years if unpaid - $600,000
Another 8 years - $1,200,000
Another 8 years - you are now about 48 years old $2,400,000

UC Hasting placement rate for legal positions 42%

Why would anybody take on that kind of burden. In part , because when we're young , we don't know better. We don't know how the world really is. All we get are cliches and propaganda.

Our hope or schools are antiquated.

But somehow the world goes on and we muddle along. Its going to get easier and harder at the same time. Life goes on.

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

perplexed

why
do folk take things oh so personal in life'

end of the day
it does not really matter? ..

be defensive YES !
overly defensive, not really?

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I've learned to beware of scams.
Quick loans.
Check cashing places.
For profit colleges.

I just across what seems to be one of the most interesting scams i've seen in awhile.
It had a lot of people fooled until someone pointed out an interesting flaw.

A factory worker in detroit claimed he walked 21 miles to work and another 21 miles to get back home. It sounded great. They started a fund for him to buy a car and so far it has raised $320,000 and on top of that a dealership gave him a new car.

But as someone pointed out the average person can only walk 3 miles an hour. And less as the miles pile up. The world record is just under 4 minutes for running the mile. So it would take someone 7 hours to get to work. And assuming one hour for breakfast etc. he would have to leave at midnight to get to work at 8:00.

And never mind the 100 degrees or 0 degrees days in detroit. How can anyone walked 21 miles in 100 or 0 degree weather.

No one caught on. Everyone was saying what a great guy & throwing money at him.
Unless my numbers are wrong.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've learned to beware of scams.
Quick loans.
Check cashing places.
For profit colleges.

I just across what seems to be one of the most interesting scams i've seen in awhile.
It had a lot of people fooled until someone pointed out an interesting flaw.

A factory worker in detroit claimed he walked 21 miles to work and another 21 miles to get back home. It sounded great. They started a fund for him to buy a car and so far it has raised $320,000 and on top of that a dealership gave him a new car.

But as someone pointed out the average person can only walk 3 miles an hour. And less as the miles pile up. The world record is just under 4 minutes for running the mile. So it would take someone 7 hours to get to work. And assuming one hour for breakfast etc. he would have to leave at midnight to get to work at 8:00.

And never mind the 100 degrees or 0 degrees days in detroit. How can anyone walked 21 miles in 100 or 0 degree weather.

No one caught on. Everyone was saying what a great guy & throwing money at him.
Unless my numbers are wrong.

Apparently, it's 21 miles round trip and he takes a bus for a portion of the trip. So, it's doable. My faith in humanity is restored.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
that people place there compassion/or money, who cares re the latter, in some unusual places huh ..

the 18yo British Public schoolboy i met in a UK YHA
knows most any thing/been no where?
but realistic enough to acknowledge such?

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Apparently, it's 21 miles round trip and he takes a bus for a portion of the trip. So, it's doable. My faith in humanity is restored.

Its unclear. You might be right. Someone did point out he did take the bus part of the way and so he only had to walk 13 miles.

But the story i read clearly said he had to walk 21 miles each way. I read it several times. Maybe there are different versions.{ aol version / 1000 feedbacks/ all the feedbacks mentioned 21 miles each way or the ones that did mention distance} It is interesting there might be another version.

But even if he only had to walk 13 miles each way that's still 4 or 5 hours if you include meals etc. And that's assuming he maintains the same pace for 5 hours in intense heat or cold. And stop lights. I still don't understand how anybody can walk 6 or 13 miles in freezing weather. Frostbite would be the least of your problems. And in arizona , when its hot , the last thing people do is go outside much less walk 6/13 miles in 100 degree weather.You can die in either extreme.

So he leaves home at 3:00 am to get to work at 8:00.{assuming 13 walking miles each way } Probably 2:00 if you include the bus trip.
He gets home at 10:00 or 11:00.
So he gets about 4 hours of sleep a day.And then walks 13/26 miles a day and has a factory job on 4 hours of sleep. { watches tv ?}

It all depends whether its a round trip or not. If its only 13 miles round trip that's not a story. 6 miles each way or 2 hours is doable and not much of a story. If its 21 miles both ways its a story.{13 miles walking each way}

Last edited:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is what I've learned in all of my 43 years: stop waiting.

Stop waiting for the paycheck to come. It will come.

Stop waiting for the cake to bake. Do something else constructive.

Stop waiting for visitors to arrive. They'll get there when they get there. Busy yourself elsewhere.

But above all, stop waiting for life to happen. Make the most of what you have with what you've got.

I was the stupid one who left a perfectly good home, family and support network with a baby in tow to pursue life. Life kicked my butt so often that going home looked like the only plan. Stupid me, I moved another 800 further away and quit waiting for that promotion. I went out and got it myself.

I waited for the perfect man to arrive, and he never did. So I quit waiting and lived life. Then he showed up. I don't think he would have stayed around if I had been doing nothing but waiting.

I waited until the time was right to start a business. That time never came, so I jumped in with both feet and almost drowned. I wasn't a graceful swimmer at all, but I made it to the surface.

So stop waiting and live. I took John Lennon's quote to heart and have a sampler hanging in my office: "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This is what I've learned in all of my 43 years: stop waiting.

Stop waiting for the paycheck to come. It will come.

Stop waiting for the cake to bake. Do something else constructive.

Stop waiting for visitors to arrive. They'll get there when they get there. Busy yourself elsewhere.

But above all, stop waiting for life to happen. Make the most of what you have with what you've got.

I was the stupid one who left a perfectly good home, family and support network with a baby in tow to pursue life. Life kicked my butt so often that going home looked like the only plan. Stupid me, I moved another 800 further away and quit waiting for that promotion. I went out and got it myself.

I waited for the perfect man to arrive, and he never did. So I quit waiting and lived life. Then he showed up. I don't think he would have stayed around if I had been doing nothing but waiting.

I waited until the time was right to start a business. That time never came, so I jumped in with both feet and almost drowned. I wasn't a graceful swimmer at all, but I made it to the surface.

So stop waiting and live. I took John Lennon's quote to heart and have a sampler hanging in my office: "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

Dear Ellie

What a message and story you have.
I agree- STOP WAITING. LIVE.
I'm sorry you never found a mate.
In that respect I've been luck twice over.
First with my wife until cancer took her after 30 years.
Now with my gf of 9 years whom I'd love to marry.

Love

Tiggerpoo

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dear Ellie

What a message and story you have.
I agree- STOP WAITING. LIVE.
I'm sorry you never found a mate.
In that respect I've been luck twice over.
First with my wife until cancer took her after 30 years.
Now with my gf of 9 years whom I'd love to marry.

Love

Tiggerpoo

Thank you Tiggerpoo,

I did indeed find my soulmate when I quit looking for him. I just quit waiting and decided to go on with life never expecting to meet him. He just walked right up and into my life without skipping a beat.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media

If it does turn out to be that then its nothing special. I don't think a 21 mile round trip is special even if you have to walk 13 miles of it.

And for that you get a brand new car for free and at least $320,000.00.
Where do i sign up ? I can do 6 miles each way easy {maybe not that easy}. Its 2-3 miles crossing parts of san francisco i think and uphill which i and others do.

It was suppose to be 21 miles each way { walking } pared down to 13 miles each way pared down to 6 miles each way. Why would people donate $320,000 just because someone walks 6 miles each way 5 days a week.