What Have You Made That You Were Dead Impressed With :)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I made my daughter's wedding cake, she wanted a 'minimalistic' one and asked me to make it because she didn't want one that had either raisins or sultanas in. I invented the recipe for it and instead of the traditional fruit it had peaches, apricots, cherries, dates, figs, cranberries, and lots of other fruits in it, that was a little nerve wracking because until it was cooked I wasn't sure the recipe would be a success. I was almost in tears on several occasions while making it because it was too big for any mixing bowl I had and too big for the food mixer to handle, when cooked it was too big to use an icing ruler to level the royal icing - it was a real labour of love but turned out brilliantly. I had several people asking me if I would make cakes for them, fat chance I replied.

The other thing I made that turned out really well was a bracelet. I'd seen this silver swarovski heart charm bracelet that I wanted but I didn't want to pay nearly £300 quid for it and I didn't want to wait till my birthday or Christmas for it. I bought a plain silver bracelet, some links and a load of swarovski hearts from Ebay and made one myself, it looked even better than the one I'd seen.

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

What a task it is to make a wedding cake. I have a friend who is a cook. I know. I watched him make one once. You must have been so proud. :smile:

3. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    My rendezvous costume including sewing my dress by hand instead of on the machine. Also some of my beadwork I have been pleased with my ideas and how they turned out as a final piece of jewelry or part of my costume.

4. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good grief SP, I'M impressed!!!! I have such admiration for people who make wedding cakes and the like. It requires a great imagination, patience, creativity and gifted hands. No amount of money makes up for that kind of detail and work...it has to be a labour of love to be willing to do it. WELL DONE! You ought to put up a pic - I'd love to see what the cake looked like.

I do decor work as a side biz. I've done decor work for weddings, birthdays and corporate events. One of my wow moments was when I was faced with a 40th birthday party where the theme was the "Oscars" as it was a day or two before they took place. My client wanted silver and blue to be incorporated into the theme and had a crazy/over-the-top/fun loving personality. I try to allow the decor reflect the person's personality. I came up with a concept that had me rather scared. It was one loooooong table with rice lights running down the middle with organza over them to dim the light effect. I then beaded blue and translucent crystals onto 14 metres of chicken mesh and used that as the overlay. I used various contemporary flower arrangements as the centrepieces with gerberras placed helter skelter in the chicken mesh. I'd be a liar if I said that I wasn't chuffed. Business boomed after that.

5. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow, so in the UK it is traditional to have all that fruit in the wedding cake?

That is interesting. I knew different cultures had different kinds of wedding cakes but I assumed that ya'll had the same kind of wedding cakes as we do here in the USA. Traditionally from what I have seen here......most brides have a white cake which is usually pretty simple but what makes it more difficult is how you want the cake to look. You can add fountains and tiers and it needs to be able to feed how ever many guests you invite to the wedding. The brides cake is served with punch and little mints and mixed nuts. The grooms cake is usually chocolate (devils food) and it is served with cofee.

Of course people here in the USA can do whatever they want to do and nothing is written in stone.......But I have been to hundreds of weddings here and this is what I have seen at every single one of them. I am usually asked to serve the cake (cut it and put it on little plates)....Or dip punch with the little dipper thingie and put it into the cup.

I don't know that I have ever made anything that I am "dead impressed with". I have made things that other people liked (arts and craft wise) and I didn't so I let them have it. The only thing I can think of at the moment that I am impressed with is my children's photo albums. I like to do themed photo albums and I am hoping that my children will see that as a labor of love.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

She wanted a 'minimalist' cake so I'd planned to flat ice it, then just over one corner drape this small spray of red roses I'd lovingly moulded which had taken me weeks - at the last minute she decided even that was too much, I could cheerfully have killed her. I've always been a dab hand with icing and cake making but I'd advise anyone who hasn't made a wedding cake not to bother.

No it isn't traditional kad, a traditional wedding cake is just your bog standard heavy dark fruit cake but she didn't want that, so I worked out my own recipe using other dried fruits. Over here it would be very unusual to have a groom's cake although it's becoming increasingly common to have other type of cake - sponge, chocolate, etc.

7. Ali-Pali

Ali-Pali New Member

I made a wooden Noah's Ark for my little god daughter. Its absolutely ledgend!

8. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two things: A stained glass window I made about twelve years ago. (i'll post a pic when I find the USB cable) and redesigning a beach house for my ex in-laws. They didn't want to sacrifice their beloved Chippendale furniture for the beachfront look even though they wanted a few changes in the style of their new home. Their then-designer was encouraging them to scrap their traditional furniture and I told them they didn't have to. They decided to take my advice, incorporating different textures, lighter colours, strategic lighting and they were extremely happy with the results. It was one of my finer moments.

9. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    It sounds delicious, are you able to post a pic? Send me a piece!!!!! PLease

10. D_Rock_ N_Hardon

D_Rock_ N_Hardon Account Disabled

Albums:
  11. erratic

Gold Member

I made a Dalek for a Dr. Who freak friend of mine.

I also made a snow cave with a living room, a bedroom and an antechamber. It was really just an extra room at the front, but I wanted to pretend I had a castle, so I called it an antechamber. I'm a nerd.

And I wrote a novel when I was 14. That was the last time I was impressed with anything I wrote :-S

12. erratic

Gold Member

Dammit! I'm not even finished my post and I get owned!

13. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    -The book I wrote in the Fifth grade that won first place in our schoolwide competition.

-My first denim range (collection).

-The song I wrote last week.

14. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wedding cakes are a trip... my family is in the wedding business and makes about 50 wedding cakes a year, my Stepmom makes the cakes and my Dad decorates them. What's with the fruit? Is this some English thing? I am curious SP, please fill me in on this tradition, and did you take any pics of it?

15. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    my second novel... I am very proud of that one.

16. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Please upload a photo of that, it sounds AMAZING!!!!

You made a Dalek? that is too cool... pic please!!!!!!

I am clueless to what a denim range is... please enlighten good sir!

Have you recorded it? If you have could you upload it?

17. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not quite a "made", but I sanded the floors in my house, and applied six coats of acrylic so one could do that Risky Business scene where he slides on the floor in his socks.

Then I did the same thing to the deck, which surrounds the house on three sides--this involves countersinking every nail on every plank.

Several flies were caught between the third and fouth coat. Believe me, they'll be there for future generations to chuckle over.

My tip? Get someone else to do it.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

A few of my drawings and paintings have turned out quite well.

My culinary coup d' etat I suppose was a Baumtorte. It was beautiful, it was exquisitely delicious... but I had never before, nor have I since, made any single food item that was as labor-intensive and took so long.

19. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    A range is the same thing as a line or a collection. It's just British fashion slang.

I haven't recorded it because I don't want anyone to steal it since it's not copyrighted. They might not, but sometimes you gotta be selfish like that. You can hear me sing, though...click the signature below.

20. D_Rock_ N_Hardon

D_Rock_ N_Hardon Account Disabled

Albums:

what does "owned" mean? :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted