What Have You Made That You Were Dead Impressed With :)

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
wowniceone that was a beautiful remodeling of the kitchen. It went from somewhere I'd hate to be to a nice pleasant spot.

OCMJ, give youself a pat on the back. I put myself through college, and got a degree in Chemical Engineering. All the while, my family was doing it's best to sabotage me.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK I've spent the last couple years teaching myself to knit to help keep myself occupied on long flights or when I'm working which sometimes involves sitting around waiting for other people to get their act together.
Long story short... I just finished a sweater that I had intended to give to someone as a gift, but I feel so attached to it as we have spent the last 11 months together through thick and thin.
Should I keep it? BTW it looks great on me!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK I've spent the last couple years teaching myself to knit to help keep myself occupied on long flights or when I'm working which sometimes involves sitting around waiting for other people to get their act together.
Long story short... I just finished a sweater that I had intended to give to someone as a gift, but I feel so attached to it as we have spent the last 11 months together through thick and thin.
Should I keep it? BTW it looks great on me!

Well if you give it to someone that really needs a sweater it will make you feel good that you are keeping them warm this winter. Or you could keep that one and buy a sweater to give away :p

I taught myself how to crochet and I am working on the worlds largest blanket:rolleyes: But I get really fidgetty trying to work on it, so it's going on a year this winter since I started it:redface:

I think I'm mostly impressed with a painting I did that's hanging in my hallway.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In 1999 I moved to CT for a "dream job".

When I first saw the store, it was 30,000 sq ft of disorganized mess containing some of the most exciting furniture I'd ever seen. It was entirely solid wood construction and hand-crafted (from over 60 different artisans from all over the US): the owner had a fabulous eye for quality but no gift in presentation. That's where I came in.

I was originally hired to simply re-merchandise his store, and was given 10 days to complete what he knew was a necessary but onerous task best left to a pro; after 18 years in the industry, I qualified as a pro :rolleyes:

I spent several days just acquainting myself with the incredible array of product, then a few more days speaking with staff and customers who'd come through, finding out what they loved and what wasn't exactly clear for them, as he'd have a $1200 bed next to a $2500 nightstand in front of a $900 dresser behind a $4000 sofa (you get the idea: spread over 30,000 sq ft on three levels: discordant by both style and price-point).

After five or six days, first the owner's wife, then the owner himself became panicked: when would I start moving things? Why wasn't I measuring things? Where was my floorplan?

They were closed every Tues and Wed (dead days at a destination location not near anything remarkable), and that's when I started working. My two days in the closed store (with minimal help, BTW) resulted in a major relocation of over 70% of the goods in the store, all arranged in zones: Asian theme here, Mission there, Shaker here, Contemporary over there. I mixed things by rough style and price-point similarity, but with enough of an eclectic eye to keep everything visually dramatic and very, very exciting.

By the end of my 10-day trial, the store was finished and revolutionized: people could not believe how suddenly everything made sense, it had a flow and ebb. Old-hat stuff suddenly looked vital and fresh, and everything was clean and sparkly. I was offered a full-time salary on the spot.

In three years I raised net sales from $800,000 to over $3.2 million. Though I cannot take responsibility for all of it, it was primarily my creation based on my experience and inspiration. It remains one of my chief accomplishments.

ETA: And it was all accomplished by eye and sheer strength.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In 1999 I moved to CT for a "dream job".

When I first saw the store, it was 30,000 sq ft of disorganized mess containing some of the most exciting furniture I'd ever seen. It was entirely solid wood construction and hand-crafted (from over 60 different artisans from all over the US): the owner had a fabulous eye for quality but no gift in presentation. That's where I came in.

I was originally hired to simply re-merchandise his store, and was given 10 days to complete what he knew was a necessary but onerous task best left to a pro; after 18 years in the industry, I qualified as a pro :rolleyes:

I spent several days just acquainting myself with the incredible array of product, then a few more days speaking with staff and customers who'd come through, finding out what they loved and what wasn't exactly clear for them, as he'd have a $1200 bed next to a $2500 nightstand in front of a $900 dresser behind a $4000 sofa (you get the idea: spread over 30,000 sq ft on three levels: discordant by both style and price-point).

After five or six days, first the owner's wife, then the owner himself became panicked: when would I start moving things? Why wasn't I measuring things? Where was my floorplan?

They were closed every Tues and Wed (dead days at a destination location not near anything remarkable), and that's when I started working. My two days in the closed store (with minimal help, BTW) resulted in a major relocation of over 70% of the goods in the store, all arranged in zones: Asian theme here, Mission there, Shaker here, Contemporary over there. I mixed things by rough style and price-point similarity, but with enough of an eclectic eye to keep everything visually dramatic and very, very exciting.

By the end of my 10-day trial, the store was finished and revolutionized: people could not believe how suddenly everything made sense, it had a flow and ebb. Old-hat stuff suddenly looked vital and fresh, and everything was clean and sparkly. I was offered a full-time salary on the spot.

In three years I raised net sales from $800,000 to over $3.2 million. Though I cannot take responsibility for all of it, it was primarily my creation based on my experience and inspiration. It remains one of my chief accomplishments.

ETA: And it was all accomplished by eye and sheer strength.

I wish you had worked for I Magnin or Bonwit Teller they are the two stores I miss the most!

D_vukygujh

Just Browsing
Media
I made my niece believe in her own self worth. When she was a child and living in a basement room in a fatherless home, I painted a huge window mural on her wall. I wanted to teach her that it is sometimes that easy to change one’s circumstance. As she grew up in relative poverty, I made her realize she had all that she ever needed. And when she started walking down aisles - graduating high school, graduating college, marrying a military man - I came to realize she had dreams for herself that even I couldn’t conjure.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I made my niece believe in her own self worth. When she was a child and living in a basement room in a fatherless home, I painted a huge window mural on her wall. I wanted to teach her that it is sometimes that easy to change one’s circumstance. As she grew up in relative poverty, I made her realize she had all that she ever needed. And when she started walking down aisles - graduating high school, graduating college, marrying a military man - I came to realize she had dreams for herself that even I couldn’t conjure.

You are one of my heros!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

That's one of the sweetest things I've read here:smile: What a great man!

ModestToo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I painted a series of large scale abstract paintings a while back. I was going through a lot of negativity at the time, so I ended up painting around eight hours a day for a month straight. When I was finished, all of that emotion had been spent. I was able to enjoy my creations and feel happy that people were enjoying my work.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think I'm mostly impressed with a painting I did that's hanging in my hallway.

What's your painting of?

I'm most proud of my embroidery, and a quilt I made. The quilt didn't involve any technical skills - it's just coloured squares - but I'm proud that i got all the colours in an order that looks good. I'll probably hang the quilt on a wall one day.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
One of my creations I'm proudest of is an Aigrette (Turban ornament) I made for a wealthy client who was throwing a massive fancy dress ball for their 50th birthday and they wanted to dress as Suleyman the Magnificent. It was a 24 carat gold setting in the Persian/Ottoman style ("Boteh" shaped, meaning twisted tear drop) set with 8 large carat cabochon cut Emeralds, 10 very large natural grey peacock Tahitian Pearls (which hung pendant) , a single antique cut Hyderabad Ruby and it had reconditioned antique Black Sicklebill Bird of Paradise tail feathers (long and sabre like things, black and iridescent green), cannibalised from a Victorian hat I found, sprouting from the top of it.

This was a good few years ago now, back when I was trying to make a full time living as a Goldsmith, which was never a terribly easy thing to do, and it took a long time to make and was technically one of the most complicated pieces I'd ever attempted. I was pretty hard up too so when the cheque cleared for it my life changed an awful lot.

Last edited:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
^ Not my taste in jewelry but it sounds beautiful!^

:biggrin1: No it's not really my taste either :biggrin1: But it was perfect for adorning a huge Turban as part of the costume of an Ottoman Sultan, the guy who commissioned it was a very colourful character and I think he was delighted with it. :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:biggrin1: No it's not really my taste either :biggrin1: But it was perfect for adorning a huge Turban as part of the costume of an Ottoman Sultan, the guy who commissioned it was a very colourful character and I think he was delighted with it. :biggrin1:

I have some old Blackamoor Brooches that I inherited from my mother, maybe I should rethink a turban!

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm working on crocheting a blanket I started yesterday. It's little hexagons, so I have about 150 more to make before I can sew it all together. But I love the way it looks so far. :)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been working on this for what seems like a lifetime, I'm a little less than half finished for it to fit a king sized bed. I'm almost tempted to frame it as is and calling it a day.

Attachments

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I designed an airport terminal for a major city from start to finish. When I step off the plane at that airport I know ever design detail and space from memory above and below where I walk - I always have a silent pride when I stroll through there and a deep appreciation of what it took to make it a reality.

Last edited: