What Have You Made That You Were Dead Impressed With :)

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm working on crocheting a blanket I started yesterday. It's little hexagons, so I have about 150 more to make before I can sew it all together. But I love the way it looks so far. :)

I keep meaning to try crocheting but I never get around to it.

I have been working on this for what seems like a lifetime, I'm a little less than half finished for it to fit a king sized bed. I'm almost tempted to frame it as is and calling it a day.

It's beautiful! So colourful.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Several years ago, I helped a university administrator write a grant proposal to the U. S. Department of Education to support tutoring and other extracurricular academic activities for first-generation and/or low-income underprepared college students at my then university.

That year, funding was so tight that a perfect score of 100 meant that proposals were funded, while scores of 99 and below were not.

I was tremendously surprised and pleased to find that not only was our proposal funded, but it was also used as an example of an excellent grant proposal by the federal government.

NCbear (who feels like less of a sellout if my efforts truly help other people)

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Coming from an extremely long line of farmers I've inherited a serious ability to grow things. I've created quite a few amazing gardens, for myself and others.

My favorite was the restoration of a garden behind the original carriage house of an old Salt Lake City mansion on the corner of S Street and South Temple. According to the client's insistence, I divided his back yard in half (about 1/2 acre), turning the north side into a cutting garden and planting the south side into a long green space planted with "English-style" perennial beds on both sides with a small formal fountain hidden at the far end. I tidied up the front of the old carriage house by removing the lawn and reinventing the original curved driveway with a couple of tons of crushed used brick and outlined the driveway in privet. The south entrance to the building had been a rose garden which, with a little archeology I was able to mostly recover. Every spring the south garden turned into giant cascades of pink, white and lavender climbing bourbon roses that are no longer cultivated. In the summer, when those old roses faded from the heat, masses of long honeysuckle boughs shocked the eye and filled the small area with a thick, heavy floral scent. And once the honeysuckle faded the many varieties of clematis I had planted shot through covering everything with blossoms. The most amazing were three white, miniature-flower clematis that gave off a strong scent of vanilla -- day and night until the first frost. I think the original owners who sold their mansion and moved into the upstairs of the old carriage house to live out the reset of their lives would have approved. My client certainly approved. And I was always having to dig up and change the arrangement of plants he would stick in his cutting garden. He had a bad habit of forgetting that cutting gardens are the gardens where one plants flowers and vegetable in rows, not aesthetically pleasing mixed clumps.

Sadly, nothing lasts forever. The garden didn't require a huge investment in time and maintenance, it just required an experienced gardner to keep it at bay. My client hired and trained a young man to take care of him and the garden. That lasted for about 12 years until my client died. I heard that when the property was sold his "hired" boy went under the knife and had a complete sex change. I trespassed onto the property several years ago, about three years after his death. The minimalist lawn had escaped and taken over everything. The grass was knee-high and turning brown from lack of water. And the ancient bourbon roses were mostly dead from borers.

I cut scions of all of the roses and packed them in my carry-on luggage back to Spain where -- after some careful coaxing in cold frames and a lot of rootone, they all are doing quite well covering up the ancient back yard stone walls. They are a great reminder of my old friend and client.

I mention this "creation" because today, the first day of the year, I've been marking off the plants and trees of an old estancia I bought myself as a Solstice present. There's an enormous, self-standing bougainvilea outside what will eventually be my bedroom window. in Spanish it's known as Santa Rita. I prefer to call it bougainvillea. And it's an old, original uncultivated variety. As with most things uncultivated, the color of the bracts is intense and it's relatively pest free. In my world, you have to garden in order to live. Plus, despite a serious termite problem with the main building, there is a natural pond about a quarter meter from the screened in house with an explosion of self-seeded palms at one end that are home to a large flock of native red-crested parrots. I might as well take advantage of the dirt and create a large, personal botanical garden. Fortunately, during the winter months it rains enough I don't have to worry about watering.

Last edited:

Autofellatio

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
A brachiosaurus made out of papier-mache that now sits on my desk.

A shower booth costume (inspired by the original Karate Kid).

A fire (during a scout's camp).

Fanfiction (specialize in killing-off characters, lol. Some of my readers have begun calling me Dr. Death).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just finished another sweater! I did a horrible job blocking it and I need to trim some stray yarn here and there but I am so proud of this...

Attachments

A nice ready meal in the microwave. ;)

Oh...and some tinned soup. :D

I'm a programming nerd by training and trade, but lately I've started messing around a bit making digital art - abstract backdrops and things. I'm most proud of the ones that turn out pretty damn close to what I had in mind originally, but I also get a slightly warm/fuzzy feeling when I see a couple floating around the internet without my express permission :tongue: At some point I'll have to post a couple in a gallery or something.

Mr_Ri0t

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Every time I sit down at a set of drums...it's gold. Most of the time I pick up any instrument, I can make it sound good, but man...I can play the shit out of the drums!

Buddy Rich may have been proud. :) He taught me well, even though he died before I was born. I will always play my very best, every time I pick up a pair of sticks, strings, reeds, whatever...

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My leather jacket. Drafted the pattern, fitted a toile, then made the whole thing, fitting it to my body. Oh, and I made it from a second-hand '80s jacket, so I was recycling too. The only issues I had with it was not being able to source a metal zipper to match the ones on the sleeves, and that the lining has shredded with use. I'll replace them both in time.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What Have You Made That You Were Dead Impressed With :)

Mine is work and life related, similar outcome

Pretty pleased with a lifetime of working with the lessors /down & outers the virtutal rejected, and having had a reasonable amount of unorthodox success
Not overly recognized or acknowledged by Governmental organizations, except by those in minor authorative positions
but who gives a Fck about that
Contentment sort and attained, proof the uneducated can achieve.

and when you experience the younger (incl some mid ageds) ignorants of the day, and realize it can only be the relatively easy/dysfunctional upbringing ( altho they woud swear black & blue lifes upbringing was tuff) there has to be a light hearted smile for them, poor fools they.
a life of false dreams.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Really interesting thread. I read through the entire thread this morning. Nice to read about others talents and interests outside of the topic of this forum. Alwasy nice to stumble across an old post by Jason E. He's still missed here.

D

deleted3782

...I've created quite a few amazing gardens, for myself and others.

My favorite was the restoration of a garden behind the original carriage house of an old Salt Lake City mansion on the corner of S Street and South Temple...

Somehow this escaped me. What a cool story. Midlifebear, if you read this from beyond the Log-in, know that you are remembered.

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm one of those guys that can build or repair just about anything and that usually impresses others folks. If it's metal, wood, electronic, fabric or just about anything else I have been asked to fix it and I find that a bit of fun... :smile: