What if anything are you giving up for lent?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Giving Up Sex for Lent

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/4/story_465_1.html

For those of you who dont know, Lent, the 40-day church season that begins this week, is a time of fasting and repentance--a somber and reflective season that precedes the celebrations of Easter. Christians who observe a Lenten fast are both honoring and reenacting Jesus' forty-day fast in the desert. At the end of those 40 days, Satan came to tempt Jesus--and the Gospel of Luke suggests that Jesus was able to withstand the Devil's temptations not despite, but in part because, of his fasting. Somehow his fast made him stronger.

Modern-day Christians interpret "fast" broadly. Many Catholic communities retain the practice of giving up meat during some days in Lent. Orthodox communities abstain from meat, dairy and egg products. Most Protestants, like me, undertake a fast that is either, depending on your perspective, more creative, or too lenient--like abstaining from alcohol or TV. This year, I am giving up wine and cheese. And also, at the urging of my spiritual director, I'm trying to get to know my neighbors. (Today, it is popular for people to "take on" a Lenten discipline, like daily prayer, or neighbor-knowing, instead of or in addition to giving something up.)

In the past I have made non-sacrifices such as beer...I don't drink beer.:tongue: As well as real sacrifices such as chocolate, coffee, and ice cream. This year I briefly considered giving up sex, which would be a non-sacrifice as I have no man in my life right now. :frown1: :tongue:

LPSG members, What are you giving up for Lent?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a friend who says he is giving up parsnips this year.

In actuality, I am giving up dinner. (Good for me, and allows me to donate the food to the local food bank, so good for someone who really needs it.)

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Last year, I gave up beef and haven't had any since. This year, I'm giving up all meats but poultry of various types, as well as sweets. I think I'll be able to pretty much abstain from meat after Lent, as it's not been a problem with beef. Sweets will come back starting Easter morning, however!

The concept is to sacrifice. I think the "new way" of thinking about adding a new discipline into your daily life is a cheater's way of observing Lent.
We started the season out last night with a big Ash Wednesday service and the imposition of ashes. We are but dust and to dust we shall return...

I'm Baptist, but Lent is a big deal in my congregation.

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not gonna fuck any catholics during lent.

LOL, good boy--they're nothing but trouble;-)

I'm following stricter Anglican fasts this year. Single meatless meal Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and smaller meatless meals Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the season.

Giving up buying clothes, donating the money to foster children charity.

After the imposition of ashes we kneel for the Litany of Penitence, which struck me last night for its humanist statements. Paraphrasing a few:
We confess our self-indulgent ways and exploitation of other people.

Our envy of those more fortunate than ourselves.

Our dishonesty in daily life and work.

Accept our repentance for our blindness to human need and suffering.

For our prejudice and contempt toward those who differ from us.

For our waste and pollution of your creation, and our lack of concern for those who come after us.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got stressed out about my schedule around Christmas and found that I belonged to too many organizations at church. WHen not enough of them would take my "No, I'm sorry. I can't fit that in. I'll never be able to get that done on time. Please ask someone else." seriously, I just stopped going. I didn't even know it was Ash Wednesday already. I kind of like not belonging to a church, though. I do, however, miss the choir.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Even in my days of religious observance--both fervent and tepid, I ran the full gamut--I never gave up anything for Lent. This year it is my intention to continue along with my past history of not giving anything up for Lent. (well maybe brussel sprouts and mandarin oranges since I can't stand them anyway.)