What if anything are you giving up for lent?

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm giving up sex.....oh, wait---you are supposed to give up something you are DOING regularly already, aren't you? Never mind, then....:tongue:

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm fascinated with how uncomfortable with the concept of a lenten discipline we are. Though I consider myself religious, I am ashamed most of the time of all the ways that fundamentalism has distorted religion into a self-serving and hurtful tool. I'm used to having to take a bucket load of flack, just by association, for their reductive and hateful theologies. BUT, I am genuinely surprised that this particular idea is the target of ridicule.

I would think a little voluntary self-sacrifice as a reminder that life, itself, is a gift worth examining, and that perhaps the privileges heaped upon us should not be taken for granted would be an unambiguously good thing.

I'm just sayin...

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I gave up weed for lent. I don't smoke that often, but I do it too much for my own liking. Hopefully this will be a self-service as well as a sacrifice.

D

deleted13797

I'm a committed satanist, so I actually take up more vices during lent, it's during the non-lent season that I give stuff up.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm fascinated with how uncomfortable with the concept of a lenten discipline we are. Though I consider myself religious, I am ashamed most of the time of all the ways that fundamentalism has distorted religion into a self-serving and hurtful tool. I'm used to having to take a bucket load of flack, just by association, for their reductive and hateful theologies. BUT, I am genuinely surprised that this particular idea is the target of ridicule.

I would think a little voluntary self-sacrifice as a reminder that life, itself, is a gift worth examining, and that perhaps the privileges heaped upon us should not be taken for granted would be an unambiguously good thing.

I'm just sayin...
:biggrin1: Too bad they don't give up hate-mongering for lent...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*~* BUMP *~*

Giving Up Sex for Lent

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/4/story_465_1.html

For those of you who dont know, Lent, the 40-day church season that begins this week, is a time of fasting and repentance--a somber and reflective season that precedes the celebrations of Easter. Christians who observe a Lenten fast are both honoring and reenacting Jesus' forty-day fast in the desert. At the end of those 40 days, Satan came to tempt Jesus--and the Gospel of Luke suggests that Jesus was able to withstand the Devil's temptations not despite, but in part because, of his fasting. Somehow his fast made him stronger.

Modern-day Christians interpret "fast" broadly. Many Catholic communities retain the practice of giving up meat during some days in Lent. Orthodox communities abstain from meat, dairy and egg products. Most Protestants, like me, undertake a fast that is either, depending on your perspective, more creative, or too lenient--like abstaining from alcohol or TV. This year, I am giving up wine and cheese. And also, at the urging of my spiritual director, I'm trying to get to know my neighbors. (Today, it is popular for people to "take on" a Lenten discipline, like daily prayer, or neighbor-knowing, instead of or in addition to giving something up.)

In the past I have made non-sacrifices such as beer...I don't drink beer.:tongue: As well as real sacrifices such as chocolate, coffee, and ice cream. This year I briefly considered giving up sex, which would be a non-sacrifice as I have no man in my life right now. :frown1: :tongue:

LPSG members, What are you giving up for Lent?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Breathing, eating, and working. I considered giving up sleep too, but one can only sacrifice so much.

I'd give up LPSG also, but then I'd be enforcing my err...sacrifice on others, which would be selfish.:tongue:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well - I see a lot of people in this thread from last year professing that they aren't into it and of course that's cool - why should they be. Personally I observe lent, in my own way. There are 365 (give or take - well - just give actually) days in a year and I like the idea that for just 40 of them I force myself to control certain appetites. I see it as a minor sacrifice compared to that which (I believe) Jesus made and it also serves to remind me how very fortunate I am in the world of want and suffering that I have so many things that I can do without.

I have a sweet tooth - I prefer sweet foods to any other - so that is what I deny myself. I don't give up sugar - there's sugar in the strangest things - but I give up all forms of dessert, sweet, biscuit, whatever - anything that tastes sweet (with the exception of hot chocolate and fresh fruit) is off the menu from tomorrow til after Mass on Easter Sunday. It's a trvial thing but it is a lack I notice. I even find it quite difficult but in the last nine years, since I started this, I haven't broken. It does me good to exercise my will power once a year.