What Is A Garage?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know it seems like a stupid question but let me explain. To me a garage is a place to keep cars, trucks, tools, yard stuff like riding mowers, rakes, half empty cans of paint and old brushes. Maybe an extra freezer or refrigerator so you can take advantage of sales.

What I discovered during the summer of 2004 when my parents were preparing to move from New Jersey to Georgia; is that my folks have very different concepts of what a garage is for. My mom thinks a garage is an extension of the house and should be kept as neat and organized as the house. To my dad, the garage is like a barn and if you can get the car in there, so be it. Finally I understood what they had been argueing about for over 35 years! :biggrin1:

So with that in mind,
What is a garage to you?

D_CountdeGrandePinja

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very interesting thread - and a refreshing one too.

Living in south Florida a garage is vital, if you can have one. Especially when the summer storms arrive. Good protection from the heat, as I despise getting into a hot car; when traveling will seek the shade even if there is an extra walk involved.

Have been in present home since March, '01 and one of the requirements was - a garage.

With an extra bedroom, that's become the garage - i.e. - for storage.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Doll,
You are asking the wrong person with me. A garage is for the car(s) period the f***ing end. Everything else has to go someplace else. But I'm a tad OCD.

Last edited:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know it seems like a stupid question but let me explain. To me a garage is a place to keep cars, trucks, tools, yard stuff like riding mowers, rakes, half empty cans of paint and old brushes. Maybe an extra freezer or refrigerator so you can take advantage of sales.

What I discovered during the summer of 2004 when my parents were preparing to move from New Jersey to Georgia; is that my folks have very different concepts of what a garage is for. My mom thinks a garage is an extension of the house and should be kept as neat and organized as the house. To my dad, the garage is like a barn and if you can get the car in there, so be it. Finally I understood what they had been argueing about for over 35 years! :biggrin1:

So with that in mind,
What is a garage to you?

A garage can be used for any purpose the homeowner uses it for. If I had a garage, I would put a car and store a bunch of yard work essentials in it. I would put a lot of seasonal house decorations in there...even clothes.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

about an addition $25,000.added to the asking price.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems for alot of people that don't have attics that a garage is where it all goes.
Good point! Of course if you live in a home with pack rats as I did, both the garage and the attic are full of 'stuff'.

about an addition $25,000.added to the asking price.
LMAO you are so practical. :tongue: What exactly is in your garage Mr. Ed? a car? a sex swing, a riding lawn mower? Inquiring minds want to know. :biggrin1:

Welcome back, njqt466.
As to your question: A garage is a place at your parents house where you store as much stuff as they'll let you for as long as they let you. :biggrin1:
Hell Yeah! And don't let them tell you otherwise. :tongue: It is their duty as parents to love and support you in every possible way. :cool:

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
To me, the idea of a room in your house for your car is ridiculous. People in urban areas have been parking their cars on the street for decades, so I'm certainly not going to fret about my car sitting out on the curb overnight on "Moon River Drive."

To me a garage is about 400 square feet that you could make a functional part of your house, if you got your car out of it.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What is a garage to you?

Its a place to store automobiles. They last longer when protected from the elements.

A garage is not a storage place for seldom-used knicknacks, old furniture, bulky household items, or other clutter. One should be able to move freely about in a garage without impediment. A garage doesn't have to be kept as tidy as the home but it also shouldn't be regarded as a temporary storage bin of items bound for GoodWill donation.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, it's apparently a variety of thngs, depending on whom you ask.
garage - Wiktionary

I like my definition: "It's my fucking garage and I'll put whatever I want in it. If you want ti clean, you clean it, but you'd better tell me where everything is, or I'll be pissed off and may put my foot in your ass."
:lmao: You sound like Truckertexman. :tongue:

To me, the idea of a room in your house for your car is ridiculous. People in urban areas have been parking their cars on the street for decades, so I'm certainly not going to fret about my car sitting out on the curb overnight on "Moon River Drive."
To me a garage is about 400 square feet that you could make a functional part of your house, if you got your car out of it.
You must have grown up in the city. FYI - 400 sq. ft. is way too small to be a decent garage. :tongue: I grew up in the burbs every house had a garage. None of that tacky carport stuff in NJ. I didn't even know what a carport was until we went south for a family reunion when I was 14.

It's the place next to the road where people go to buy their petrol and stuff :biggrin1:
Funny you mentioned that, as we used to call those places garages here too. I think we stopped calling them garages when they stopped fixing cars. :mad: The bays or garage part on many of them got converted to mini-marts. To this day I can't stand the idea of buying food and gasoline in the same place. :yuck:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its a place to store automobiles. They last longer when protected from the elements.
Now you are a man after my dear mothers heart. :smile: She is a firm believer in keeping her car in the garage. Especially once she got her first Benz in 1974. I can count on one hand and have fingers left over how many times one of her cars has spent the night on the street. I can even tell you what the occassion was because it happend so rarely and she would spend half the night in my room peeping out the window to make sure her baby was okay.

She did a major clean of the garage one year which included painting the concrete floor battleship gray. It didn't dry before night fall and spent the night in the driveway. Of course whenever dad re-tarred the driveway the car stayed on the street over night.

A garage is not a storage place for seldom-used knicknacks, old furniture, bulky household items, or other clutter.
:rofl: ROTFLMAO OMG! That is hysterical :biggrin1: not too anal retentive are we Speedo Guy. :lmao: Okay mom might argue with you on that one. As we had a 2 car garage in NJ and on the other side she had dad build her a 6x10 walk-in cedar closet.

One should be able to move freely about in a garage without impediment. A garage doesn't have to be kept as tidy as the home but it also shouldn't be regarded as a temporary storage bin of items bound for GoodWill donation.
hahaha Okay, here is where I feel the need to disagree. It's a garage not a ballroom darling. Just how much moving around do you need to do in there? We actually have 2 bags of clothes bound for Goodwill in our garage as I type this. :smile: There are also maybe a half dozen Rubbermaid storage bins of Christmas decorations and off season clothes. Not to mention the stuff that wouldn't fit in my storage unit. :biggrin1: When my parents moved south they downsized the house but not their belongings. :frown1::mad:

To say things are cramped right now is putting it mildly. Had she listened to me and purchased the model with a basement the garage would most likely be as pristine as you seem to like it.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For alot of people a garage is where you put things that are to big to fit in the junk drawer.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
garage http://www.etymonline.com/graphics/dictionary.gif1902, from Fr. garage, from verb garer "to shelter," from M.Fr. garer "to shelter, dock ships," from Frank. *waron "to guard" (cf. O.H.G. waron "take care"), from P.Gmc. *war-, from PIE base *wer- "to cover" (see warrant). Garage sale first attested 1966.

Basically it is a storage place which is usually added onto an existing residence. It doesn't matter what you store in it, as long as it has a roof it is a garage.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's good to see another NJQT topical thread again.....:biggrin1:

My flat has a garage, and although I have a car, I place all my gym equipment in there, as the other half won't have it in the flat...fair enough! Just gets bloody cold working out in the winter!!