What is a soul?

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
The animal realm is the one below the human realm, there being six in total. So in answer to your question DumCow, is this: If you do not gain enough merit in this life, then you will be reborn in one of the lower realms, So yes you could come back as a cow. It is said the chances of regaining a human life is likend to a blind turtle sitting on the bottom of the ocean with a golden yoke (ring) floating on the surface. The chances of the turtle swiming to the surface with it's head through the centre of the yoke is infinitely small.

That is an interesting theory, but it also brings to mind how animals can gain merit to ascend to the next level when often they are not conscious of their actions...
I suppose there is a level higher than humanity for the people who lead good lives? This theory does promote ethical behavior thus leading to a better standard of living.
I think that different beliefs are very interesting and there must be some truth in most religious arguments, as the people who put these theories onto paper must be enlightened... Although maybe not 100% true, following them may very well lead to a more fulfilled life.

(@dumbcow: I figure you'll come back as a zebu, dumbcow. You've been pretty good.)

:rolleyes: Oh, thank you Señor :smile: I would love to be a zebu...

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Without going into all the make-believe bull poop, scientifically it would seem that the "soul" of a 70 kilo animal (human or not) is about 21 grams. That's the average difference in weight in from the living to the non-living state of the same body.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For me, a soul is every living thing's essential being. It is who you are. Everything else that you might be is based around it. It also is our connection to the rest of the organic world, I feel. I can't help but believing every animal-- even plants-- have their own, unique souls. Maybe I'm on crack, but whenever I look into an animal's eyes, I can sort of see that soul, in a sense; I can feel our bond as living things....hopes, fears, desires, pleasures, personalities, etc. Same goes for plants, save for they've a more muted existence...but I can still feel their being.

Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Soul is whatever causes dogs to growl when a person dies before any people realize that the person is dead.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Who dies on the scales? :tongue:

SLAP!!!
In India, as many peeps as can manage it.
Actually, damn good question, you lil' rouxster.:cool:
I'm talkin' peeps who have been weighed ... for reasons I don't know, my lil' obstreperous outhouse pedant ... just before death and just after.
It was tested, supposedly. Capische?
(I don't know, you lil' phart. Sheesh.
SLAP!!!:cool:)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Here's a piece from the Guardian that debunks the idea that there is a sudden weight loss at the moment of death:

Thursday February 19, 2004
The Guardian

Who would have thought it? At the exact moment of death, you, me, and everyone else, will lose precisely 21g in weight. Just like that. Gone. I know because it says so on the poster for Alejandro González Iñárritu's new movie called, as it happens, 21 Grams and starring Benicio del Torro, Sean Penn and Naomi Watts.
The movie's promotional blurb moves quickly to quash those tempted to guestimate how much body fluid and gas one might expel in a parting gesture to cause a 21g drop in weight by inquiring: "Is it a person's soul that constitutes those twenty one grams?" (Quick answer: no.)
"I've been dealing with death for 45 years and I can say with some confidence there's nothing in it," says Robert Stern, a pathologist at the University of California, San Francisco.
So where does the 21g assertion come from? Who are the "they" who say we lose this amount as soon as our hearts squeeze their final beats and the electrical storms in our brains flicker and fade?
The origin of the 21g figure can be traced to Duncan MacDougall, a doctor working in Haverhill, Massachusetts in the early 1900s. MacDougall had a keen fascination with death and spent part of his career on an almost obsessive hunt for evidence of the soul. He thought that if humans had a soul, it must exist in the body as some kind of material. And that material must weigh something.
MacDougall set out to test his theory with what was an excruciatingly bad experiment. In 1907, the year Einstein applied the laws of gravity to his special theory of relativity, MacDougall published his findings in American Medicine.
MacDougall's paper reveals as much about the author as it does about the quality of work that could get into medical journals at the time. MacDougall describes how he set about converting a hospital bed into a rudimentary balance so he could measure a patient's weight change as they died. The bed balance was sensitive, so to prevent his soon-to-be-dead patients from messing up his data, MacDougall hunted around for people who were dying of tuberculosis. As he noted: "It seemed to me best to select a patient dying with a disease that produces great exhaustion, the death occurring with little or no muscular movement, because in such a case, the beam could be kept more perfectly at balance and any loss occurring readily noted." In other words, there was to be no flailing around that could upset the scales.
In all, MacDougall managed to recruit a mere six dying people for his study, four of whom had tuberculosis. In turn, each was tucked up in his modified bed and their weight monitored until some minutes after their death. Any bowel movements or urination at death were fine, at least so far as the experiment was concerned, as it all stayed on the bed.
With a nod to best scientific practice, MacDougall then repeated the study with 15 dogs, which according to his religious beliefs, were not blessed with souls. It's not clear how MacDougall managed to get his dogs to die without rocking the bed, but some scientists suspect a nasty cocktail of drugs was used.
At the end of his foray into science, MacDougall declared that humans lost up to three-fourths of an ounce upon death, a figure that doesn't have quite the same ring as 21g, the metric equivalent. The dogs, he said, lost nothing. What else might it be if not the weight of the soul departing, he asked.
Before going public with his findings, MacDougall wanted to make sure that his patients' last breaths were not skewing his data, so he clambered on to the bed, (presumably once the last patient was removed and the sheets had been changed) and spent a few minutes exhaling. He then got a colleague to do the same thing. Neither managed to shift the balance enough to account for the weight loss MacDougall reported.
Despite the poor accuracy of his scales, the huge variability in his data, and the all-too-few people studied, MacDougall's experiment was also frustrated by the tricky skill of pinpointing the exact time of death. He was repeatedly challenged as to why the weight change on death appeared to take longer in some patients than others. To rebut the doubters, MacDougall wrote: "The soul's weight is removed from the body virtually at the instant of the last breath, though in persons of sluggish temperament, it may remain in the body for a full minute." He declared later in the paper: "Here we have experimental demonstration that a substance capable of being weighed does leave the body at death."
MacDougall's work was written up in the New York Times, which also covered his hope, some years later, to take a photo of the soul using x-rays. Despite being recorded in the paper that gives us all the news that's fit to print, his work is viewed with palpable embarrassment now. "It's simply not taken seriously," says Stern.
Gruesomely, Stern points out that dead bodies lose a lot of weight over time. Minute, intercellular structures called lysosomes release enzymes that break the body down into gases and liquid. "That's why, when you have mass graves, you can get explosions because of all the gas build-up," he says. "Just think if our bodies didn't break down. Everyone who had ever lived on the face on the Earth would still be here." Now, that would make a good movie.