What is all this "va-jayjay" piffle?!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by ManlyBanisters, Dec 27, 2007.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Seriously! I find it hateful.

Is it supposed to be cute? Post-modern ironic feminist existentialism? Is it perhaps a cutural reference I missed?

Please explain, because if I read it here again I'm going to disembowel something small, living and cute. Possibly a va-jayjay - but not my own (I love it too much!)

In other news:

CUNT!!

2. Principessa

Gold Member

It's a pop culture quote/reference to the episode of Grey's Anatomy where Miranda gave birth to her son.

Oprah Winfrey has given the word her seal of approval which pretty much means we are stuck with it.

Check out this article for more information on the rise of the va-jay-jay. "What Did You Call It?"

I know you Brits love the word; but in most of the United States cunt is a derogatory name for a woman. Much worse than being called a bitch.

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is very annoying. I understand that the term was used by some character in a TV show, Grey's Anatomy, and then was taken up by Oprah, under whose influence it has gained popularity.

4. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    OHHHHHHH... now I get it.

Since I don't watch Oprah (my brain couldn't handle it) or Grey's Anatomy (too busy watching Doctor Who reruns), I didn't get the fucking reference.

I think it's a really really really asinine term, right up there with 'bling', 'asap', and 'WTF'. Fucking learn how to speak and write the language, folks.

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Thank you NJ, and Cal, for the info - it is still hateful - I declare war on it!!

An aside:

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHH! Calling an Irish person a 'Brit' is akin to calling a Southerner 'Yankee'. In fact it is worse. Please never do it again!! I like you too much...

Cunt is also an insult in Ireland and the UK (and AUS I believe is similar) but for men as well as women. I dislike the fact that calling someone a cunt is considered more insulting than calling them a prick. I like the word cunt - I like cunts - I particularly like my own cunt (although any port in a storm really :rolleyes: :biggrin1:) and I don't see why being likened to it is any worse than being likened to a cock. I've said this before, here and elsewhere, I think women should take control of the word cunt in the way homosexuals took control of the word queer. I have a CUNT - this is a GOOD THING (if you don't believe me ask my friend :wink::biggrin1:).

Me too! Does this make us a pair of daft cunts... or do we just have better taste?

6. espreggels

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In the US, "cunt" is a clock-stopping insult to a woman -- I can't think of another term that carries that much negative weight. I can't even think of a correlative term for men. No public figure with any sense would be caught dead using it -- it's absolutely beyond the pale. But in my time in the UK and Ireland, while I gathered it was still a pretty bad insult, it was nothing like the room-silencer it is in the US (and Canada, I presume).

I'd rather we didn't create another situation in which it's acceptable for one identity group to use a word amongst themselves (like gays with "queer" and "fag" or black people with "nigger") but absolutely forbidden for anyone outside that group to use it. It just adds to the endless controversy over political correctness.

Plus, women have already pretty much reclaimed "bitch," like in that one song by that one bitch.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Is it more acceptable for a Lesbian to refer to her cunt as a "va-gay-gay?"

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Myah - cunt gets blooped for certain TV audiences - not for others. It is getting less and less taboo - this is a good thing.

Am I not allowed call queers queers in the US? Jeez - I am over here... 'nigger' is different, that's about the only taboo I respect (well, no - there are other racial slurs I won't use either) - because it isn't really 'taboo' as such, it's just so loaded.

Anyway - I don't wish to refer to women as cunts - I wish to refer to my cunt as a cunt without people tutting and griping. Is that too much to ask?

No it cunting well isn't. :rolleyes:

9. snoozan

Gold Member

I agree with this completely. And "va-jay-jay" makes me want to hurl.

10. jimbob369

jimbob369 New Member

Albums:
  11. galaxus

galaxus Member

how does va-jayjay sound offensive!? i think it sounds cute.

12. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

It's just, for lack of a better word, lame. Like we're all 7 years old again and using cutesy little baby names for bodily parts and functions.

I watch neither Oprah Winfrey nor Grey's Anatomy, but I nonetheless have a suspicion that this is a way to censor "dirty" words like vagina.

13. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

I have a cunt,I can be a cunt,and
    I like it that way!
    cigarbabe:saevil:

14. snoozan

Gold Member

QFT!

15. Principessa

Gold Member

My most sincere apologies MB. You know I would never intentionally offend you. I should have known someone as beautiful, smart; and witty as yourself would be Irish. ---> njqt466's ancestors hailed from County Kilkenny. :wink:

I thought it was odd at first but definentely not offensive. I like it better than cootch, snatch, snapper, oh and for some reason my gay male friends call it a hoo-hoo.

16. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

So many words i dont understand. Im not up on the lingo of today much. I was wondering about this word too. Thanx for asking. Now i know.:smile::wink:

17. Ed69

Gold Member

My 15 year old daughter thinks the old lady's here need to take a chill pill!Yes I let an under age girl view this spastic knee jerk crap!

18. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I love saying "Va jay jay". I think it's cute and funny. But, on the other hand, I also love Grey's Anatomy and Oprah. :rolleyes:

19. joybunny

joybunny New Member

Va-jayjay is cute but my favorite still has to be "Miss Puss." I first heard it on a segment of the The Tonight Show with Jay Leno called "Ask the Fruitcake Lady." She advised a newlywed to always [SIZE=-1]"keep Miss Puss clean!"[/SIZE] Too funny seeing an almost 100 year old woman giving out advice like that. Since then the term Miss Puss has been a winner.

20. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

What is the "spastic knee jerk crap",eds?
    Yeah, that'll be the day when, I take advice from a 15 yr old.
    cigarbabe:saevil:

Draft saved Draft deleted