what is an animal?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I know what an animal is in a technical sense. That's not the question, I mean when you use the word "animal" in casual conversation, what do you mean?

I ask, because I had a conversation with a coworker today where she claimed that fish weren't animals, they were just fish. This seemed stupid to me, because my personal definition, outside of the scientific one, for the word "animal" is something non-human that is unintelligent, or at least less intelligent than humans, and part of the kingdom Animalia.

But I understand that not everyone uses that same definition. Some people use animal to refer specifically to land animals or mammals. So, I ask you when you use the word "animal" in a conversation, what do you mean?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ANIMAL
–noun 1. any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

2. any such living thing other than a human being.

3. a mammal, as opposed to a fish, bird, etc.

4. the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of human beings; animality: the animal in every person.

5. an inhuman person; brutish or beastlike person: She married an animal.

6. thing: A perfect job? Is there any such animal?

–adjective 7. of, pertaining to, or derived from animals: animal instincts; animal fats.

8. pertaining to the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of humans, rather than their spiritual or intellectual nature: animal needs.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
ANIMAL
–noun 1. any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

4. the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of human beings; animality: the animal in every person.

–adjective 7. of, pertaining to, or derived from animals: animal instincts; animal fats.

8. pertaining to the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of humans, rather than their spiritual or intellectual nature: animal needs.

Isn't it odd, and shows our peculiarly conflicted nature I think, that the first and second common usages conflict with one another?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Isn't it odd, and shows our peculiarly conflicted nature I think, that the first and second common usages conflict with one another?

I know. That's why I created this topic. That contradiction is very interesting, to me at least.

Also, thank you Industrialsize for totally missing the point.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Bacteria are also animals. That's why the Jains and Hindus sometimes eschew fermented foods including yeast bread. If it is alive and not a plant, it's an animal. Fish are simply not mammals. Why they even have bones, which insects and most sea critters do not! They are just as alive as birds and reptiles, other big groups of non-mammals.

To sum up: she's an idiot. How do magnets work?

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If it isn't a plant or bacteria, lives and breathes, I consider it an animal.

(I just bet I missed something really obvious that I'll work out sometime tomorrow!)
You forgot fungi. And protazoas. And if you really want to be picky you can split the bacteria into two groups [Bacteria (Eubacteria) and Archaea (Archaebacteria)]:tongue:
He's the best muppet of the lot.
Oh, Animal is totally the best Muppet!
Are you talking about Indy?
Check out Jim Henson's Muppets...Specifically Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.:biggrin1:
Hey, if he also spends half the day with a hand up his arse that's just a coincidence.
ROTFLMAO!!!!! But then all muppets are into fisting lol!
Bacteria are also animals. That's why the Jains and Hindus sometimes eschew fermented foods including yeast bread. If it is alive and not a plant, it's an animal. Fish are simply not mammals. Why they even have bones, which insects and most sea critters do not! They are just as alive as birds and reptiles, other big groups of non-mammals.

To sum up: she's an idiot. How do magnets work?
A lot of people see it that way, though scientifically speaking, yeast belongs to the kingdom Fungi.:wink:
agreed. :love:
Oh, Animal is the hottest muppet!:biggrin1:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ANIMAL

I have heard people make the distinction between animal and insect...which is wrong form a biological level.

mexdude

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are 4 realms of living creatures, animal, plantae, fungi, and microbiotical or something like that, and fish fit in animal, its elementary school bioology xD

mexdude

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
for the word "animal" is something non-human that is unintelligent, or at least less intelligent than humans, and part of the kingdom Animalia.
Humans have concience, thats the real advantage over animals, cause many are as smart as humans like the elephants

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My disclaimer: I am well aware of the scientific definition of the word 'animal' and agree with it in a scientific sense.

But usually I use it to include non-human mammals, birds and reptiles. For some reason, fish and insects don't get a look in. Occasionally I include humans in the animal grouping.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My use of the word is context dependent. If I'm talking about the animal kingdom then I'm using the scientific classification definition. If I'm using it to describe a person then I'm referring to them being primal.