What is Breakfast?: Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

exwhyzee's thread made me think of something that my dad and I converse about occasionally. On days where I don't have to be up early, I can often sleep pretty late, whether I want to or not. So I'll wake up at 11am or so, and head in to make myself some breakfast. My dad claims it isn't breakfast because it's lunch time, but I claim that since it's the first meal of the day, and often includes things like scrambled eggs or french toast, it's breakfast to me! So how do YOU view breakfast? First meal of the day? Something you have in the morning? Or does it depend on what foods are involved? (I know some people who would laugh at you if you said that dinner-type foods at 8am constituted breakfast.)

#1 IntoxicatingToxin, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I'm with you - if it's the first meal of the day, it's breakfast. Most days at the moment I eat breakfast around 3pm. Somehow I don't think your dad would be calling it breakfast any more . . .

3. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any time it is over twelve hours since your last meal, you are breaking a fast period; therefore that meal, whatever it may be is your beakfast.

4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Part Deaux? Do you mean 'Partie Deux'? Like the French for Part Two?

5. luka82

Gold Member

It`s the first meal of the day, but unfortunately I tend to skip it and then eat some rubbish food downtown. I find breakfast all in all, a boring meal and I tend to skip it. But after 12 pm I go wild, and I could eat a horse!
    Same happens whether I have breakfast or not! :smile:

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

What about someone working night shift and coming home from work and having a meal before they go to bed? Is that breakfast or dinner?

I would say it's more about how a particular meal fits into your daily routine than it is about what you call the meal. Lot's of people don't work a conventional 9 to 5 pattern and have their meals to fit their routine.

7. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indeed. If you are eating for the first time that day and it's rather later during daylight hours, it's known as brunch. It doesn't matter what it is you eat. In Scandinavia it is perfectly acceptable to eat porridge for any meal and in India one can eat curry at any meal. Certainly you are familiar with the concept of the 24-hour pancake house which will serve eggs at any hour? And the same goes for burritos and their kin.

8. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    To personalize: It's not strange to have beer and fish sandwich or hot dish for breakfast, or coffee and a muffin for supper, is it? It happens in my house anyhow. As well as bacon and eggs anytime.

9. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd say if it's before noon, it's breakfast. But it also depends on what you're having. Any cooked food doesn't count as breakfast to me. ;P (Maybe with the exception of eggs, but not bacon or stuff like that, that's lunch or dinner, not breakfast in my eyes). Cereal, sour milk, yoghourt, sandwiches with cheese, ham, liver paté, salami or something, fruit, porridge, müsli.. :)

True, sometimes people have it for breakfast, sometimes lunch or supper. Not that common as dinner though.. :p

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Sorry, made a typo. It's fixed now. lol.

11. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Come from a Commercial Grower Family who worked physically demanding jobs all day so needed a decent meal to start the day, (Like all Farmers do)
    However being part Chinese Dad tried to get us used to RICE for breakfast, fck that .. and never ate it for Breakfast, choosing Toast and / or Biscuits, ha
    After leaving that employment spent many years NOT having any breakfast at all, cept a pot of Tea,
    Think this has lead to the last 10 years or so of a light breakfast anytime before say 10am of 2 Toast and Tea, this sustains thru the day and allows the build up to an appetite for a early arfternoon beer or two that really gets me going, and i look fwd to a main meal/dinner.
    (no ill health, ulcers nor side effects of any description, with this)
    LOVELY hah
    enz

12. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I really dislike eating most traditional breakfast foods, cereal, toast, eggs, bacon etc as my first meal of the day, though I gladly eat them for brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, or even as a light dinner/supper. I tend not to eat as soon as I awake anyway or very rarely anyway, I'm never actually hungry in the morning and have to force myself to eat.

If I do eat breakfast (which is rare) I tend to eat sweet stuff, cakes (not muffins though, I can't stand them), pastries, maybe some fruit and a glass of milk and lots and lots of strong milky tea.

I think whatever food you eat if you eat it upon waking then it's food which breaks your fast and is your breakfast whatever time of day you eat it.

13. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:

I read an interview of a Swedish politician once and he said he always had the same thing for supper-- filmjolk and tunnbrod baked by his wife That's not avilable in the USA but the closest translation might be yogurt with hardtack crumbled in it.

I worked at a Danish dairy farm and we never knew when we'd get muesli and tykmaelk twice a day instead of just once. But hey, it was so fresh!

14. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, no, no! "Filmjölk" and Yogurt are two COMPLETELY different things! :D "Filmjölk" is SOUR MILK. :) I guess it sounds nasty when you ain't got it in the USA.. but it's really good! I thought it was something the whole world had. :p And "Tunnbröd" might have been "Knäckebröd" I think.. that's sort of a swedish thing, it's like hard bread, but far from bread.. it's pretty common to crumble it down into sour milk. :)

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    What's for breakfast? I'm starvin. :(

I used to hate it as a kid, but mostly enjoy it now - altho, if I'm nervous for some reason I can't eat brekkie.

16. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    And it is delicious! Another thing you can't get in the USA is rosehip soup. It is also wonderful any time of day.

17. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:

:O You don't have "Nyponsoppa" over there!? Rosehip soup is soooo good! :biggrin1: You don't even have to drink that to a meal, you can easily just take a glas whenever you're thirsty, like with juice or any other beverage. :) I never knew we had so much tasty stuff here that isn't available in other parts. :O

18. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mmm. That sounds delish. I think I know the kind of bread you mean, like Pumpernickel bread, all kind of nutty in small bits compressed. Not remotely like the fluffy doughy kind of bread we're used to in the UK.

During the week I mostly skip breakfast due to lack of time. I'll just have a glass of orange juice or make a cup of tea. At the weekend or whenever there is plenty of time, I'll start with juice, then a bowl of cereals, followed by toast and marmalade and several cups of tea (usually a whole teapotful, which is about 4 mugs). If I'm really hungry, instead of the toast, I might make a sausage or bacon sandwich, or fill some croissants with scrambled egg, or do the full monty of sausage, bacon, eggs, hash browns and baked beans.

If I ever have to stay in a hotel in the UK, I always look forward to the full English breakfast in the morning.

I don't feel like I have fully woken up until I've had a nice cup of tea. Outside the UK it is almost impossible to get a decent cup of tea:mad:.Lipton's tea is not a popular brand in the UK, but it seems to be the only brand available on holiday abroad.

19. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    The first meal of the day is breakfast, even if it is brunch (a wonderful word, which means Eggs Benedict at midday in a posh cafe with a hangover to me).

20. mexdude

mexdude New Member

Albums:
    I asked the nutriologist im seeing, that if 10:30am was a good hours to eat "breakfast" , and she told me it was a good time

Draft saved Draft deleted