What Is Considered Manly And What Is Not?

JayPR

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What is considered manly? Why certain behaviors are not considered manly? What does "no homo" mean and why is used so frequently by young men?

Reactions: malakos

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What is considered manly? Why certain behaviors are not considered manly? What does "no homo" mean and why is used so frequently by young men?
Because they are young, insecure and juvenile.

nakedguy77

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is one of those things I've had to ask several times because everybody is different see me personally I work on cars I rebuild houses I am a machinist I'm a welder hunt and fish and do all the outdoor stuff to my son-in-law however will not even mow his own yard or cut down a tree when you need something done he'll call the landscaper or have me come over with my chainsaw and take what what needs to be taken out however this kid will spend 30 hours a week in the gym and brag about how tough he is am I more manly than he is I don't know but we have different tastes

He's also gotten upset with my daughter over Facebook post which I don't understand that either I stay busy enough I don't have time to get on Facebook although I do make a few minutes a day to get on here I like looking at boobies

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I clean the floors of our home wearing only a thong or bikini underwear. She finds that very "manly". Same with cleaning the toilet or shower... Always rewarded with a firm reach around from the wife. ;-)

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Young men use a plethora of slang words and sayings, they come and go as their popularity fades.
Long story short, do not read too much into a saying.

But to answer the question, Manly is a perception , that can have hundreds of opinions . To some guys, washing a dish while they have a wife is un-manly . Etc >>>>>

Reactions: malakos and rd62624

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Manliness" is a subjective construct, and what is or isn't manly is more defined by the observers opinion/bias than by any action or attitude on display.

"No Homo" is projection of fear, both real and imagined. It is most often an unnecessary public assertion of heterosexuality deemed necessary by certain societal imperatives. Unfortunately amongst many hetero male groupings there is a perception of implied sexual/romantic aggression for men inherent to homosexuality(which i think is a low key acceptance of our general proclivity to aggression), to say "No Homo" is to assure your male friends they are safe.
I think it also serves as a dogwhistle for female ears as well, taking into account the very real bias hetero women tend to have against bi sexual men.

Reactions: OKCLane and malakos

stretch8888

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Much like nakedguy i fall into the stereotypical "MANLY" category, i build cars, weld, hunt, fish, do all the outdoor shit, ride dirt bikes and snow mobiles, i'm in my element out in the bush cutting down a tree and splitting firewood. On the other end of the spectrum i'm also an early 30s male who has owned a house for 12yrs most of which i was single so i cook, clean and do most house chore better than a lot of females these days.

I never give it much thought too be honest but funny story that relates, 5yrs or so ago a family friend had gone through a rough break up she was a few years younger than me and very attractive but i left it alone given our history. I invited her out one day to go shooting as she'd mentioned she'd always wanted to try, we head out into the mountains, it had been snowing so i pull out my chainsaw, walk into the bush cut down a standing dead, buck it up split it and get a fire going, we're having lunch and i keep catching her giving me looks, i ask whats up and at first she brushes it off but keeps giving me these glances so i ask again, she finally gives me an answer i was not expecting. She says its kind of weird cause we're friends and all but watching me cut down the tree, chop it up and get a fire going so casually turned her on in a way she was not expecting, then explained she didn't know a single guy who owned a chainsaw let alone knew how to use one or get a fire going in the snow.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Manly (or masculine) characteristics are stereotypes.
Womanly (or feminine) characteristics are stereotypes.

What's the old nursery rhyme which drummed these stereotypes into our heads from childhood?

Boys are snips and snails and puppy dog tails
Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice.

Reality is (sexual dimorphism aside) that women can do anything men can do and men can do anything women can do.:cool:

The sooner we reject these stereotypes the sooner the prejudice and discrimination they create will end.

We've come a long way. We have a long way to go. :):heart::sun: