What is heaven like?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah, got it now. I was just talking to Jacinto earlier and we were discussing that very thing so it was on my mind. I thought it was worth elucidation as I only recently learned that it was true of Muslims myself. Didn't mean to seem condescending.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by ashlar@Jun 9 2005, 06:25 AM
I think I love you.

*checks*

Yupp, I do.
[post=319056]Quoted post[/post]​
:blush: I think it's maybe vaguely possible that I kinda sorta like you too *squirms*

HEY YOU LOT BACK OFF, I DIDN'T SAY I WAS GONNA BE NICE TO ANYONE ELSE OKAY :evilfrown:

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Reading all of this thread in one sitting is a bit overwhelming. Basic to most squabbes (maybe just discussions) over religious doctrines is our seemingly inability to separate the physical from the spiritual. Why is it necessary to think of heaven as a "place"? The spiritual is not restricted to 'place' as we know it. Is happiness grounded in our physical bodies or is it possible for our spiritual being to experience happiness? I think our only perfect happiness must come from God and will automatically encompass our spiritual being, after it has left our physical one. Being in the presence of God becomes our only knowledge of existence and this supreme happiness is all that matters.

At the risk of being judged a 'nut', I'll divulge my premise for the above explained beliefs. Years ago I dreamed I died and was in the presence of God. I experienced this happiness for a fleeting moment and, although never being able to explain it in words, I will never forget it nor be the person I was before the experience. Had I conditioned my mind to cause such a dream? I don't know, but I believe if that is the case, God had a 'hand' in the development.

Luke

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Jun 9 2005, 09:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Jun 9 2005, 09:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Jun 9 2005, 06:25 AM
I think I love you.

*checks*

Yupp, I do.
[post=319056]Quoted post[/post]​
:blush: I think it&#39;s maybe vaguely possible that I kinda sorta like you too *squirms*

HEY YOU LOT BACK OFF, I DIDN&#39;T SAY I WAS GONNA BE NICE TO ANYONE ELSE OKAY :evilfrown:

[post=319133]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Ahh I love it when I&#39;ve the power to make a man squirm&#33; :D

Anyways, back to gods n stuff.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 27 2005, 05:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 27 2005, 05:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-prepstudinsc@May 27 2005, 04:10 AM
The Episcopalian introcutory website, PTTW.org says this:
Transubstantiation vs. mystery
The Episcopal Church does not believe in Transubstantiation, which is documented in the Book of Common Prayer, page 873 in the Articles of Religion.

I stand corrected. I had assumed that since the words of the canon and consecration of the host are identical in the Catholic and High Epicopal liturgies, the doctrine concerning Transubstantiation would be shared by both. Before the establishment of the Church of England, those who eventually converted to Anglicanism definitely believed in Transubstantiation. I know Episcopalians today who believe in it as well, but apparently it is not in accordance with their official doctrine. Thanks for educating me on that point: I had no idea.

Members of Orthodox Churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Polich National Catholic Church are urged to respect the discipline of their own churches.  According to RC discipline, the Code of Canon Law does not object to the reception of communion by Christians of these churches. (canon 844-3).  Presumably these churches are the ones who hold to the doctrine of transubstantiation. 

Without question. The bans of excommunication against the Eastern Orthodox and Assyrians were lifted by Pope Paul the VI, and the bans of separation against the Polish National Church were lifted by Pope John-Paul II. The mutual bans of excommunication between the Catholics and Orthodox do not completely work both ways, unfortunately. His All Holiness Athenagoras I pronounced the excommunication of the Catholic Church dissolved, but the patriarchs of the other Orthodox sub-rites refute his declaration and still regard the Church of Rome as heretical. Only those Orthodox under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (which includes the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America) accept the validity of the Roman Catholic Church.
[post=315369]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Well that leaves me a bit confused. I thought United Methodist beliefs on transsubstantiation were closer to the Catholic doctrine then they appear to be. The United Methodist Church came out of the Church of England and was formed as a church, (The Methodist Movement started much earlier for small groups) becasue of the American Revolution. I knew Methodist doctrine on comunion was the same as the Anglican. I assumed that the Anglican was Transsubstantiation.

I believe that The United Methodist liturgy for Holy Communion is worded identically to the Episcopal and Catholic liturgies. Here is the section where the elements are consecrated. "Pour out your Holy Spirit on us gathered here, and on these gifts of bread and wine. Make them be for us the body and blood of Christ, that we may be for the world the body of Chrsit, redeemed by his blood." And as the Sacraments are given, the words "The Body of Christ broken for you." The blood of Christ shed for you." are said to the communicants at the altar. Sounds like Transubstantiation.

Here appears to be the difference at least in the Methodist Church. In the Catholic Church the consecration of the elements makes the bread and wine be the actual body and blood of Christ. And it would be that way to anyone and everyone to touched or consumed any of it. Furthermore, even after the service is over, any left over would have to be treated as such.

In the Methodist Church the bread and wine are FOR ME and others who are celebrating the Holy Sacrament the body and blood of Christ. But any left over and for non believers the bread and wine is just bread and wine. It only holds that special place as body and blood of Christ during the Sacramental Worship for those who believe and accept it. In the Catholic Church those elements continue to hold that special place as body and blood of Christ as long as those elements exist.

So from a religious standpoint I see no difference. However, at the end of the service the Catholics have to save the host, (bread or body) because it is sacred and is still the body of Christ and the priest must consume the rest of the unused wine or blood of Christ. In short, there is no religious difference to me, but there is a physical difference in the Catholic tradition.

I can see the confussion as the modern liturgy during the consecration and blessing of the elements to be sacraments is word for word the same in the Episcopal, Catholic and United Methodist Churches. The major difference is that the blessing for the Pope is only in the Catholic liturgy and the ringing of the bell to announce the transubastantiation of the bread and wine is not rung during the
Episcopal services. When I say word for word I am talknig about the Great Thanksgiving or Eucharistic Prayer. Some of the responses, interludes between sections is different. Certainly different prayers are used and different prefaces are used according to season and situation. I am only refering to the actual required words of the liturgy that even the low liturgy service would have as a part of celebration of the Sacrament without prefaces, responses hymns, etc.

Again, for me during the celebration of Holy Communion, that is the body and blood of Jesus atoning for my sins and making me perfect so I am in total communion with God and all the saints and people who have died and are with God while I am at the altar receiving the Sacrament of Holy Communion. That is why that Sacrament is so important. It has me in total communion with God even for if it is for just a moment. Humans just don&#39;t have the capcity to be in total communion with God here on earth in these physical bodies. God makes it possible.

I suspect that what it does for me is no different than what it does for Jacinto.

And for me that is the bottom line. Perhaps we Methodists could be more respectful and treat the unused consecrated sacraments as the Catholics do. I would have no problem with that.

Now Jacinto, if I have part of it not quite right. do post and say so. I do want to be correct in my understanding of different people&#39;s theology.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by RoysToy@Jun 9 2005, 04:05 PM
Reading all of this thread in one sitting is a bit overwhelming. Basic to most squabbes (maybe just discussions) over religious doctrines is our seemingly inability to separate the physical from the spiritual. Why is it necessary to think of heaven as a "place"? The spiritual is not restricted to &#39;place&#39; as we know it. Is happiness grounded in our physical bodies or is it possible for our spiritual being to experience happiness? I think our only perfect happiness must come from God and will automatically encompass our spiritual being, after it has left our physical one. Being in the presence of God becomes our only knowledge of existence and this supreme happiness is all that matters.

At the risk of being judged a &#39;nut&#39;, I&#39;ll divulge my premise for the above explained beliefs. Years ago I dreamed I died and was in the presence of God. I experienced this happiness for a fleeting moment and, although never being able to explain it in words, I will never forget it nor be the person I was before the experience. Had I conditioned my mind to cause such a dream? I don&#39;t know, but I believe if that is the case, God had a &#39;hand&#39; in the development.

Luke
[post=319142]Quoted post[/post]​
If heaven is not a "place" then that means its not part of the universe. Would it then be ok to say that it doesn&#39;t exist? Does existence mean having a place in the universe? Is it even meaningful to talk about places that don&#39;t have a place?

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by GottaBigOne@Jun 9 2005, 06:21 PM

If heaven is not a "place" then that means its not part of the universe. Would it then be ok to say that it doesn&#39;t exist? Does existence mean having a place in the universe? Is it even meaningful to talk about places that don&#39;t have a place?
[post=319179]Quoted post[/post]​

Your question reveals how tied down we become with our language, GBO. Could you accept as a fact that spiritual existence isn&#39;t dependant upon a place? Our minds function with thoughts, but those thoughts have no place, per se. We even visualize -- those pictures exist, but need no place. I contend that heaven isn&#39;t dependant on the universe or any other physical place.

Luke

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by RoysToy+Jun 9 2005, 07:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoysToy &#064; Jun 9 2005, 07:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne@Jun 9 2005, 06:21 PM

Your question reveals how tied down we become with our language, GBO. Could you accept as a fact that spiritual existence isn&#39;t dependant upon a place? Our minds function with thoughts, but those thoughts have no place, per se. We even visualize -- those pictures exist, but need no place. I contend that heaven isn&#39;t dependant on the universe or any other physical place.

Luke
[post=319200]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I wouldn&#39;t accept, as fact, spirits. Our minds are a function of our brains, which has a palce in our body which has a place in the universe. Those pictures are a representation of the world in our minds, they are a product of the chemical and electrical relationships between neurons which have a place in our brains which have a place in our bodies, which have a place in the universe.
Isn&#39;t "physical place" a redundancy?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Jun 9 2005, 08:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Jun 9 2005, 08:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne@Jun 9 2005, 07:24 PM
[post=319203]Quoted post[/post]​
depends on whether you consider space and time to be two different things.
[post=319219]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Ah, and here&#39;s where we get into the really good stuff&#33; I have an easier time with "space" as a concept than time. Time is really just a collective agreement on given definitions. These definitions exist in all cultures, but the parameters of such are subject to change as a social group makes new discoveries. We no longer use the Aztec calandar, not because it wasn&#39;t as accurate, but more because it didn&#39;t serve our needs as well. If there are no definitive definitions for time, then is it real? The concept we choose to believe is real for us, but outside ourselves or our fellows who particiapte in acceptance of said, there is no way to tell.

Space gets hairy when you attempt to wrap your mind around infinity. Yes, we can accept is as a concept, knowing that an unknowable amount of something exists, but this is rather like accepting God. Ha&#33; In the end, the larger a project becomes, the harder it is to define. To me, this shows an obvious pattern in the divination of all things and makes easier to accept the lack of boundaries of any given topic.

The human mind has great difficulty expressing things through deductive reasoning, taking the big picture and reducing the variables to a workable size. We are far batter at inductive reasoning, whereby we take a smaller concept and apply it at large. We understand a small amount about the Earth, so we can believe with relative ease that some form of life (even if it be microscopic) may exist on another similar such sphere, we can understand that the planets orbit around the sun, and that our galaxy is part of a vast network of such communities in space. Much more than that and we lose insight or scope. We just can&#39;t go much bigger. Most attempts will have us tucking our tail between our legs and coming back to the safety of "why can&#39;t we even cure the common cold?" For me to believe that in our primitive state we will be capable of answering the bigger questions would take far more faith than I&#39;m willing to surrender. I&#39;m more interested in unearthing the origins of the stories.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
that is the only reasonable deduction anyone can make - since we know for a fact that we exist from birth until death, and we have no evidence to suppose that anyone has ever existed in any form either side of that ... hence it&#39;s the only valid comparison available.

remember much from before you were born? that&#39;s what I thought (although doubtless someone will now describe how they can recall every detail of their former life as a babylonian priestess / norse berserker / squash plant).

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Jun 9 2005, 06:08 PM
that is the only reasonable deduction anyone can make - since we know for a fact that we exist from birth until death, and we have no evidence to suppose that anyone has ever existed in any form either side of that ... hence it&#39;s the only valid comparison available.

remember much from before you were born? that&#39;s what I thought (although doubtless someone will now describe how they can recall every detail of their former life as a babylonian priestess / norse berserker / squash plant).
[post=319250]Quoted post[/post]​

I remember when I was Queen of Egypt, I had to use Scarab shit for eyeliner.

Fucking scarabs.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Jun 10 2005, 01:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Jun 10 2005, 01:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Jun 10 2005, 01:29 AM
[post=319297]Quoted post[/post]​
ah, you&#39;ll always be the Queen of Egypt in our hearts, dear.
[post=319311]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

At least that&#39;s better than "The queen of my double-wide".

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora+Jun 9 2005, 11:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Jun 9 2005, 11:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Jun 10 2005, 01:43 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ashlar
@Jun 10 2005, 01:29 AM
[post=319297]Quoted post[/post]​

ah, you&#39;ll always be the Queen of Egypt in our hearts, dear.
[post=319311]Quoted post[/post]​

At least that&#39;s better than "The queen of my double-wide".
[post=319367]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Hey, I&#39;ll take whatever love I can get ;)

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Jun 10 2005, 12:49 AM
O mighty Queen Nefertitties, is that an obelisk under your gown, or are you just happy to see me?
[post=319382]Quoted post[/post]​

Both. Now get down and worship. :p

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by GottaBigOne+Jun 9 2005, 07:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GottaBigOne &#064; Jun 9 2005, 07:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by RoysToy@Jun 9 2005, 07:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne
@Jun 9 2005, 06:21 PM

Luke
[post=319200]Quoted post[/post]​
I wouldn&#39;t accept, as fact, spirits. Our minds are a function of our brains, which has a palce in our body which has a place in the universe. Those pictures are a representation of the world in our minds, they are a product of the chemical and electrical relationships between neurons which have a place in our brains which have a place in our bodies, which have a place in the universe.
[post=319203]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Yes, I can see why physical place can be considered a redundancy because if it&#39;s physical it has to have a place, but one has to consciously think of a space before visualizing it&#39;s location. We often think of items without considering their location, of course. This gives credence to the expression "physical place". Since accepting spirits as factual is paramount to my opinion re. "What is Heaven Like", however, I am silently stealing away. Thanks for the discourse, GBO.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by ashlar+Jun 10 2005, 06:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ashlar &#064; Jun 10 2005, 06:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@Jun 10 2005, 12:49 AM
O mighty Queen Nefertitties, is that an obelisk under your gown, or are you just happy to see me?
[post=319382]Quoted post[/post]​

Both. Now get down and worship. :p
[post=319388]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

How about I spit-shine and polish it till it gleams? :9