What is hyacinth bucket treatment?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Northland, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Northland

Gold Member

Forgive me my ignorance on this; but, I was advised by someone that they would not take 'hyacinth bucket treatment' from me. Is it a form of medieval torture or a form of waterboarding? An Internet search netted me nothing other than ramblings about a fictional character named Hyacinth Bucket. Either way, I don't know how I could have been giving a form of treatment which I have never heard of.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Oh Bless, i love Hyacynth Bucket, she pronounces it Bouquet, Hyacynth is a bossy lady who always tries to better herself and give off a really good toff impression to her neighbours, hence; the candle lit dinners.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I hope this helps Northland. She's a would be snob in a British sitcom.:wink:

4. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

I could just sense your presence at YouTube a few minutes ago while I was hunting through the vids as well. :tongue: Although I was gonna go for one of the kitchen scenes. :rolleyes:

The inference put more bluntly, Mr. Northland, was that you adopted 'airs and graces' while treating others with haughty condescension. :eek: Either that, or that you have really dodgy taste in floral dresses. :cool:

5. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You know as I watched the clip I posted I realised that Rose is played by the same actress who plays Edna Birch in Emmerdale. I'm in shock :eek:

6. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Yes, did'nt the original Rose get replaced?

7. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Yes I just found this on Wiki.

8. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Ahh yes, and also Onslow was Eddie Yates the binman on Corrie and the guy with Knockoff from that show Royal family.

I didn't know that Hyacynth was a lesbian in real life, apparantly she is the partner of Betty Boothroyd , the ex speaker from Parliament.

9. Northland

Gold Member

My thanks to you all. So I am like a television show character? Interesting.
    I still am confused as to why I was addressed as I was; but, I suppose maybe it was a misunderstanding on their part.

(and for the record my floral dresses are better than Laura Ashl...oh wait. :redface:I wasn't going to tell anyone about those dresses...:redface:)

(and not too sure what this thing is about gypsies and hand painted periwinkles)

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

If you're behaving like Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet), then there's is no wonder you're confused as to why you were addressed as such. Hyacinth, by her nature, is completely oblivious to any untoward comments made to or about her. She lives in her own little bubble and works the last nerve of just about anyone she encounters.

The person who said they would not take any Hyacinth Bucket treatment from you was not being kind. And if you do possess any of Hyacinth's personality quirks, you should thank the person for pointing them out to you.

Now, back to Rose: regardless which actress played her, she certainly did keep her figure up.

11. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

not that I give a tinsman's hoot, but why is this in the "politics' section?

:dunno:

12. midlifebear

Gold Member

OMG! For once, Nick o' the sixes and I agree. Why is it in this section.? I suggest it be moved to The Healthy Penis section where we can discuss spousal induced erectile dysfunction.

13. Gl3nn

Gold Member

I love that show. The person who said that to you probably wanted to say that you were being too bossy. She always bosses Richard around in the car and other people as well. That, or the person thought you were being too snobby.

Don't worry about it.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

While it's true that Hyacinth is bossy and everything else pointed out by others on this thread, there's still another aspect to the character. Her sense of phoniness. She tries so hard to look, act and engage herself as a vessel of high society when she herself comes from humble and poorer upbringings. Which is why we see her treat her own relatives in such crazy ways, forcing them to use the back entrance to her home when someone she wants to impress is coming over for one of her "candlelight suppers" among other things.

15. Northland

Gold Member

I don't live within a bubble-though I have considered it at times.

Yes, they were being unkind; however, since I had no idea that they were attempting an insult it wasn't really unkind I suppose. As to possession of the characters character, it beats me why I was slandered that way.

As my grandfather used to say: 'Pennies will collect dust but still must be worth their value.' (which has nothing to do with this topic)

He also told me, after placing me in the kitchen near the window and having me look at the pictures of children and adults living worse than I (as I had a roof over my head and a blanket) that all of us were 'equal, none better than any more and none worse than any more' (he always said any more when he-I think-meant anybody or anyone).
    Nah, not worried about it. I take most things with a grain of salt and let them go. Life is too short and precious to allow ignorance of others or their opinions to weigh me down.

A) I do not attempt to boss people about. I often speak (write) loudly in an attempt to get my idea across. That said, I do not tell people they are not allowed their beliefs, and I indicate why mine are different.

B)I will call people on their own personal failures and fakeries, as in the case of the thread on Barney Frank and the National Equality March. People are always grandstanding about how they support this-equal rights for all including homosexuals-and yet nobody wants to actually acknowlege that in their own midst, is one Congressman who is himself a homosexual, advising people not to 'waste their time' in a public venuue. Instead they should sit at home and write cards and letters to their reps. A thread put up to discuss or chastise Congressman Frank and only 1 person placed a response and less than 100 bothered to even read it.

C)I don't have either a sense of phoniness or a being of such. I have repeatedly acknowledged my childhood as one of enjoyment, yes; but also often in the pockets of abject poverty. If I were to be phony, I'd have told tales of sailing summers on the Aegean with servants and ski trips to who knows where (I have never actually skiied so I don't know where that's done) and Christmas times with thousands of dollars of gifts. I would not, if trying to project an air of being better than others, indicate having shared a bed with my grandfather, or having 8 people in a 2 room apartment.

Additionally, I have never snubbed anybody, or looked down on them for having less than me or gawked goo-goo eyed if they had more. I have what I have, if I want more I must work for it-which I am far too lazy to do- or get lucky and inherit big money(I don't play the lottery, so that's not a possiblity for financial ease).

I have had homeless people sleep in my apartment at various times. Oops! That probably makes me sound like I'm better than others. No, I just try to help when I can. I don't see myself as better, just temporarily in a different set of circumstances, which I know can change at any time. (Read this book: In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, in download readable format here: Online Reader - Project Gutenberg )

Perhaps why I was perceived in an incorrect light had something to do with my responding to a poster (I've done this a few times to different posters) that altering the text of another, does not enhance their argument. If that is seen as bossy or a sense of phonieness, then the world has really gone amok.

#15 Northland, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  16. houtx48

Gold Member

that would be her famous candle lite suppers to you............

17. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hand-painted periwinkles.....

18. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok, now we know what Hyacinth Bucket treatment is. Now we have to research tinsman's hoot. This could go on forever. LOL

I am assuming this was put in the Politics section because the retort was to a posting in that section?

19. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Don't get your doillies in a twist. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted