What is in a name?

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi,

For instance, lets take the name Hazel. First and foremost unless someone is named after a family member the name went out of fashion in the 30's and 40's. Depending upon the ethnicity and region it might be spelled Hazel or Hazelle but pronounced Ha-zel .Or it might have a variation such as Hazelene or Hazeletta. Or you might hear a middle name of Mae or belle with a black woman of a certain age while Sue or jean might serve a white female of the same generation... Has anyone else noticed this?

Then there was Hazel-ya and her sisster Rhonda-ya.... for some reason Ya was added to the end of each girls name. Thier brothers Monroe and Tyroan (which is how his name was spelled) had nothing at the end of their names....and Tyroan had nothing in his trousers eithere.

Repeating names in our family have been the standards of James, Raymond, Robert, William and George. There have been 2 Everetts, and 3 Edgars along with the likes of Esther and Rose as well as various formats and spellings of Elizabeth and Rebecca and a truck load of Stephens and a triple run of Maude-Lynn. Talk abiout giving an insane name . About 1880 the first Otis showed up and I managed to snag the name myself but refused too sentence a child of mine to it.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
In my family, there have been pretty much all the standards, but there are a slew of Marys (and forms thereof--MaryEllen, etc.). We do have Vilma, Ora, Delma, Augusta (which has shown up as a middle name on a couple of women), and for men they all lucked out with fairly normal names--albeit maybe sometimes old fashioned, except on--Basil. (not pronounced bay-sil, but baa-sil, like "back")

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my family, there have been pretty much all the standards, but there are a slew of Marys (and forms thereof--MaryEllen, etc.). We do have Vilma, Ora, Delma, Augusta (which has shown up as a middle name on a couple of women), and for men they all lucked out with fairly normal names--albeit maybe sometimes old fashioned, except on--Basil. (not pronounced bay-sil, but baa-sil, like "back")

I had an aunt with the middle name Ora.I always thought it was a very unusual name...

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In Tudor England all the boys were named William, John, Richard, Edward, Charles, or Henry - anything else was rare. Francis or Martin would pop up on occasion. Not much originality, but they seemed to get on all right. Paradoxically, things got much wilder in the Puritan era.

But it's been downhill in general since the Saxon names went out of style. Alfred and Albert are the only survivors.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

What I find amusing in recent trends is the propensity of certain cultures to prefix, seemingly at random, a La- or De- to contemporary given names. I'm noticing this a lot in professional athletes: LaDanian, LaBrandon, DeShaun, etc.

i think the weirdest is D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NY Jets).

and celebs definitely have issues naming their kids...Jason Lee's son is named Pilot Inspektor...Jermaine Jackson has a son named Jermajesty...Ving Rhames has a daughter (i think) named Reign Beau...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok... what do you want to guess D'Brickashaw's mama watched "The Thornbirds" fell in love with Richard Chamberlain as Father Ralph De Bricassare? It makes sense. Think about all of the children named Alexis after the reign of Die Nasty...

i think the weirdest is D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NY Jets).

and celebs definitely have issues naming their kids...Jason Lee's son is named Pilot Inspektor...Jermaine Jackson has a son named Jermajesty...Ving Rhames has a daughter (i think) named Reign Beau...

Spoogesicle

Experimental Member
Media
Under a bridge...The Bridge of Sighs (or Size?)
Sexuality
Unsure
My freshman lit. professor in college used to say "Don Joo-ahn" instead of "Don Juan."

If he was speaking of Lord Byron's Don Juan, he was right. The monosyllabic Spanish pronunciation of Juan fit neither the metre nor the rhyming scheme of Byron's poem.