What is "Penis Envy"?

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What exactly does this oft-used phrase really mean? What is its proper definition?

Originally, I think it referred to the psychological theory that women are subconsciously supposed to envy men's penises and secretly desire one for themselves.

But, in a more common usage, it seems to refer also to a feeling of envy and admiration which one man has for the penis of another man (who is the owner of a much larger penis than the man doing the envying). In other words, upon seeing the huge penis of the man standing next to him at a urinal, the first man thinks to himself, "Gee, I sure wish I had a big dick like that one!"

So, which definition is correct? How do YOU understand the term as it is used? And..do you envy other men who have larger penises than yours?

Thanks! :smile:

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
Yes, the term originally referred to how girls were supposed to feel according to Freudian theory.

In two different films Woody Allen described himself as one of the few men to suffer from what is supposedly a female affliction.

Now the term is commonly used to as you describe: "Gee, I sure wish I had a big dick like that one!"

And, yes, as an average guy, I say that to myself fairly often.

bigjpgh

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Freud. He had some rather controversial theories. Penis Envy was just part of his larger theory that Women are inherently mentally unbalanced and inferior. This was due in no small part to their lack of a penis. And of course, women realized that they were inferior and incomplete and desired nothing more than to be as much like a man as possible, because of course, men were superior and psychologically complete. This desire to be a man, and to be complete manifested itself as a desire to have a penis, what Freud called Penis Envy. The process, called by Freud the Electra Complex, works something like this:Soon after the libidinal shift to the penis, the child develops her first sexual impulses towards her mother. The girl realizes that she is not physically equipped to have a heterosexual relationship with her mother, since she does not have a penis. She desires a penis, and the power that it represents. This is described as Penis Envy. She sees the solution as obtaining her father’s penis. She develops a sexual desire for her father. The girl blames her mother for her apparent castration (what she sees as punishment by the mother for being attracted to the father) assisting a shift in the focus of her sexual impulses from her mother to her father. Sexual desire for her father leads to the desire to replace and eliminate her mother. The girl identifies with her mother so that she might learn to mimic her, and thus replace her. The child anticipates that both aforementioned desires will incur punishment. The girl employs the defense mechanism of displacement to shift the object of her sexual desires from her father to men in general. Freud theorized that the girl really wants to become her mother so she can control her father. Sorry, that was rather long winded.

Sip

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've always thought of Penis Envy as a man wishing his dick was as big as anothers.

Personally, I am terrible for this. Ever since I saw a dick that was bigger than mine, I was jealous. I know that my girlfriend doesn't want anything more, but I'm always wish I had more. I love the idea of a girl pulling down your pants and being in complete shock, or even being worried about how much it's going to hurt taking that.

It's not a good thing, that's for sure. It has caused me a lot of problems in my relationship, and it continues to this day. It's the reason I joined this forum. I seem to have a very non-sexual interest in large dicks. I just like to compare, and try to understand, I guess, how I have what I have, and all of these other guys have something more.

blondetwink11

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually penis envy is a mental disorder identified by Sigmund Freud. Penis envy is in fact when a woman wishes that she was a man rather than a woman. This shows transgendered feelins in the eary 1900's. PSYCH MAJOR!

Media
Actually penis envy is a mental disorder identified by Sigmund Freud. Penis envy is in fact when a woman wishes that she was a man rather than a woman. This shows transgendered feelins in the eary 1900's. PSYCH MAJOR!

Actually, "penis envy" according to Freud is a transitional stage that virtually all females go through around ages 3 to 5 and is part of his overall theory of sexual development.

To wit all children go through oral, anal, and phallic stages after which children go through a latency stage which lasts until puberty. During the phallic stage boys experience castration anxiety and girls experience penis envy. Castration anxiety is closely related to the Oedipus complex as a boy discovers that his mother belongs to his father and fears that if his father discovers his desire to possess his mother and will castrate him. Girls discover that they have no penis and blame their mothers for the lack and become increasingly attached to their fathers.

Ultimately this conflict is resolved by the fact that women realize that only they bear children and seek fulfillment as wives and mothers.

One may agree or disagree and certainly there is much to dispute but it always helps to know what Freud actually said and why he said it.

Particularly if he is a psych major.