What is so wrong with polygamy?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
From what I understand, marriage was invented by landowners as a way to insure their family's future prosperity. Later the church took over and decided who can and cannot marry. They decided that only a clergyman can perform marriage, and that it be between a man and a woman.

I find all of this very unnatural. People seem to be innately promiscuous. In our tribal days, females had children in their early teen years (or even before), males had harems that they would viciously preserve, and the tribe likely slept together in one shelter (picture 30 people spooning in a cave). On top of this, all kinds of sex was going on -- establishing relationships, hierarchies, and I'm sure just for the fun of it. The adaptive necessity of the males was to have as much sex with as many females as possible to sustain their tribe.

My point of all this is that I believe that monogamy is an unnatural state and that polygamy should be legalized. In this age of polyamorous relationships, swinging and very high divorce rates, I have to wonder if the disintegration of the church is also causing the disintegration of marriage. Maybe we'll end up having relationships the way we did thousands of years ago.

For those who would argue that marriage is necessary for raising children, please consider 3 things:
1. There are plenty of well-adjusted people from single-parent homes
2. Most marriages end in divorce anyway.
3. There are plenty of happy families with parents who aren't married.

Am I alone on this?

P.S. I am not a Mormon and I am not from Utah.

OK, I saw this topic posted before anyone had responded...it piqued my interest, and I wanted pleny of time to consider the implications before I responded.

*In case anyone wants to shit on me for addressing points that have already come up, go fuck yourself*

So what the hell is wrong with polygamy, outside the legal context? Biology in any species close to our seems to indicate a pattern toward the harem behavior. Certain males establish dominance and they proceed to impregnate females. Duh.

Certainly, the species homo sapiens has demonstrated itself to be far from monogamous....as have the behaviors of many other simlar species. One must only wonder how much more time must pass before we abandon these silly, archaic concepts entirely.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I remember reading a True magazine, racy in the mid 1960's, that described the perfect living situation for the "modern" male.

He would have these women in his domicile:

1. A sex goddess
2. A maid
3. A glamorous companion for socializing
4. A woman to bear his children
5. An accomplished chef
6. A brainy lady to keep track of finances and investments
7. A handy-woman slash mechanic
8. A doctor/pediatrician

I would add the following so the women would have someone to confide in and talk with, then he wouldn't have to listen to every womans detailed daily litany of life.

9. A counselor/psychologist

Any other ideas for additions to his stable?

Ladies, please don't hate me for this, it was an article written about 42 years ago.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't want a future with soma. >_>

Name that book!
"A gram is better than a damn."

Brave New World.
Discussions about polygamy always seem to focus on men with more than one wife. Are there instances of women having more than one husband?
Technically, polygamy means "having more than one wife," so that's where the focus would be. Polyandry is "having more than one husband" and yes, it has been discussed on this board before. There are a few polyandrous cultures around the world, but not many.
There's two other fascinating physiological characteristics of humans that suggest that we are naturally promiscuous.

The first is the shape of the penis. It has a plunger shape that is commonly thought to be made for pulling out sperm of rivals. Many herding animals that have harems, such as most ungulates (ie. horses) have this shape.
I've heard this theory before, and it doesn't make much sense to me. My first difficulty with the "plunger" theory is that, before it can plunge any sperms out, it first would have to plunge them in. Second, even with no other sperms present, it would tend to plunge one's own sperms out.
Certainly, the species homo sapiens has demonstrated itself to be far from monogamous....as have the behaviors of many other simlar species. One must only wonder how much more time must pass before we abandon these silly, archaic concepts entirely.
Well, those silly, uptight-types always want to iron-fist human behavior away from its natural state.

Now, back to the original topic: I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as all parties involved are consenting adults.

And I really don't see the point in dwelling upon what prehistoric humans or protohumans may or may not have done. That has no bearing upon modern humans.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
It doesn't really matter what our ancestors did, we're humans, one of our defining characteristics is adaptation.

Now, back to the original topic: I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as all parties involved are consenting adults.

And I really don't see the point in dwelling upon what prehistoric humans or protohumans may or may not have done. That has no bearing upon modern humans.

I know that neither of you post here anymore, but I am bumping ancient threads as I wait for my gym to open, so....

Humans have taken 4 to 5 million years to evolve compared to our Modern Western religious society which is about 2,500 years old (early Judaism). I find it hard to believe that humans could have adapted to millions of years of evolution in just a few thousand years. Society is changing much more quickly than we are evolving.

We can already see people who can't keep up with society's changes--especially with technology.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't even think it is a debate. It appears quite obvious to me that monogamy is totally against our programmed genetic behavior. I have quite primal tendencies and being monogamous (ie marriage) is similar to that of a death sentence.

Media
I don't even think it is a debate. It appears quite obvious to me that monogamy is totally against our programmed genetic behavior. I have quite primal tendencies and being monogamous (ie marriage) is similar to that of a death sentence.

That's just it, these are tendencies you are referring to. You failed to mention anything about power of choice, the will to make decisions and stick to them. Choices that perhaps require work and effort in order to maintain because of programmed genetic behavior.

ALL are subject to matters of the heart.

This is the distinction that is often overlooked. Just because it is programmed genetic behavior does not necessarily equate to having "no choice" as to how you want to live your life.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's just it, these are tendencies you are referring to. You failed to mention anything about power of choice, the will to make decisions and stick to them. Choices that perhaps require work and effort in order to maintain because of programmed genetic behavior.

ALL are subject to matters of the heart.

This is the distinction that is often overlooked. Just because it is programmed genetic behavior does not necessarily equate to having "no choice" as to how you want to live your life.

Yes, unfortunately most people choose a death sentence...primarily because society has socially programmed them to believe this is "the way" regardless of one's better judgment...I'll ride with my genetic programming any day over societal programming. Caveman FTW!!!

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Yes, unfortunately most people choose a death sentence...primarily because society has socially programmed them to believe this is "the way" regardless of one's better judgment...I'll ride with my genetic programming any day over societal programming. Caveman FTW!!!

Ouch. Some people enjoy monogamous, faithful married life, so I don't consider it a death sentence for them. As for me, I'd rather be dipped in acid than get married. This isn't sour grapes, it's just a personal preference.

As for being a caveman, our bodies and brains are a bit bigger than our tribal ancestors, but we are basically all cave people; we haven't changed much in the past, say, 100,000 years. Society, however, has changed greatly.

The scary thing is that technological advancement doesn't increase linearly: it increases exponentially. The rate of technological advancement doubles every 20 years or so now. In the future, it will double every 20 weeks. After that, every 20 hours. After that, every 20 seconds. Imagine the culture shock!

Media
Ouch. Some people enjoy monogamous, faithful married life, so I don't consider it a death sentence for them. As for me, I'd rather be dipped in acid than get married. This isn't sour grapes, it's just a personal preference.

As for being a caveman, our bodies and brains are a bit bigger than our tribal ancestors, but we are basically all cave people; we haven't changed much in the past, say, 100,000 years. Society, however, has changed greatly.

The scary thing is that technological advancement doesn't increase linearly: it increases exponentially. The rate of technological advancement doubles every 20 years or so now. In the future, it will double every 20 weeks. After that, every 20 hours. After that, every 20 seconds. Imagine the culture shock!

I am going to sign you up for the Jeopardy auditions. You'll make a ton of cash, out of which I want a finder's fee. :biggrin1:

Primordial Propensities for 2,000 Alex.

Sorry about the typo earlier SM