Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I enjoy working out, but my stomach never seems to want to totally shrink, even after cardio and weight lifting. I'm pretty sure I just need to eat better, more specific foods. I was curious what some of you put into your diet to help shed the dreaded spare tire.

Reactions: Gj816

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There's no such thing as a targeted ab diet, you lose body fat in the reverse order that you gain it.

The last few % of body fat always comes down to a very strict diet. Also try HIIT instead of ordinary cardio, it helps ;)

If you have good willpower look into Intermittent Fasting or Keto (or both).

Last edited:

desertdonkey

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I wasn't inquiring into spot reduction as, exactly, you can't do that. I think I'm really just looking for some better foods in general to help along the way. I may try Keto at some point but have kind of shied away from it due to stress recently. In any event, thanks for the info! Really do appreciate the time you took to answer :)

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Yeah, sorry to disappoint you, but there is no ab diet. The only way to get your abs to show is to lose fat. The only way to lose fat is to consume fewer calories than you burn. With guys, the first place you put on fat is your gut, and the last place you lose it is your gut.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Just looking at your pics you just basically need a "cutting" diet.
I'd recommend making an account at MyFitnessPal and logging everything you're eating, that's the first step for any sort of meal plan.
Cut out all sugars from your diet and maybe try setting your macros to lower carb. If you drink alcohol stop drinking beer and stick to spirits like vodka in moderation. Walk everywhere. Do HIIT (basically just a different and more efficient way to do cardio - look it up) ;)
Intermittent Fasting can help with cutting, you just need the willpower to stick to it. You're not "starving" yourself, you're eating the exact same things just in a shorter feeding window (like between noon and 8pm) and sticking to things like water and black coffee, tea in the "fasting" times.

desertdonkey

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just looking at your pics you just basically need a "cutting" diet.
I'd recommend making an account at MyFitnessPal and logging everything you're eating, that's the first step for any sort of meal plan.
Cut out all sugars from your diet and maybe try setting your macros to lower carb. If you drink alcohol stop drinking beer and stick to spirits like vodka in moderation. Walk everywhere. Do HIIT (basically just a different and more efficient way to do cardio - look it up) ;)
Intermittent Fasting can help with cutting, you just need the willpower to stick to it. You're not "starving" yourself, you're eating the exact same things just in a shorter feeding window (like between noon and 8pm) and sticking to things like water and black coffee, tea in the "fasting" times.

Thank so much for the wonderful information. I think you are probably correct. I used to have MyFitnessPal way back in the day and it did help. I really need to download it again.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What's the best diet plan to get your abs to show? HEAVY METAL, lol!

Seriously, unless you have the same parents that Brad Pitt was blessed with, it's going to require lots of discipline, a very clean diet, HIIT for cardio, and heavy weight lifting especially squats and deadlifts.
I'm somewhat lucky genetically but when my abs were at their best, it involved:
* No alcohol (I've been sober a long time)
* Very limited starchy carbs (no potatoes, pasta, white rice or pizza). Only whole grain bread and cereal before Noon.
* HIIT cardio or Tabata protocol (Google it!)
* Squats or deadlifts 3-4 times/week
* High protein meals several times/day
* Yoga s cereal times / week as that keeps the muscles from getting bulky and raises stamina.

This worked very well into my mid-60"s and then COVID changed everything