What is the lifespan of a good bra? (bra etiquette conversation)

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How many bras do you own? (is that the correct plural spelling of "bra"?)

What's your size?

What's a good brand?

And again, what's its lifespan?

I think i'm going to take my babe bra shopping again.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I only own one at the moment. At $150-200 a bra, and with me shrinking out of them every couple of months, I have no wish to buy more than 1. I have no idea of their true lifespan. My most recent one showed absolutely no wear at the four month mark.

Ulla is a brilliant brand for larger breasted ladies, but they don't do small band sizes, only medium and largish.

B_dMonica

1st Like
Media
Care when washing and style change things by heaps. An expensive year old Freya bra in my drawer has an underwire almost chaffed through. A couple others are 2 or 3 years old with a front clasp and full coverage cups that are like new. :confused: Normally I end up parting with perfectly good clothing because the edges get tattered or the fabric patterns become scraggly long before they stop functioning.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Depends on how you wash them. If you throw them in the dryer, the heat destroys the elastic fibers, which considerably shortens the lifespan of the bra. My fav brands are Jessica Simpson and Pamela Anderson.

Why? Are you thinking of buying yourself some?! :tongue:

Tee&A

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I own 20 bras, which is actually pretty good because those bad boys are expensif.

My size doesn't matter.

What is considered a "good" brand of bra depends on a lot of things (such as material, craftsmanship, etc). Contrary to popular belief (and sales), Victoria's Secret bras are not "good" bras. They don't hold up well, they don't support well, and their "shelf life" is for shit. 99% of their bras are made for two purposes: to look purty and be removed quickly.
Many women choose to get professionally measured (vetty, vetty important) and then have their bras custom made. I am one of those women.

Bra lifespan depends on upkeep. Some women favor a certain beloved bra, but instead of buying multiples to ensure the bras last, they ride the same bra down to the rims (which kills it long before it should die). The reason I own 20 good bras--even though they were all costly as hell--is because I want them to last. One simply can't wear a bra over and over and over again, especially without taking the steps to launder and dry it properly) if they want a good return on their investment.

I've heard a few times now that the Genie Bra advertised on TV is a dream. Good lift, good support (for both boob and back). If this is all true, at $60 a pop that's a damned good deal.

Has your "babe" had issues with her brasseries or something? How does she normally obtain her bras? You're either concerned about her bosoms because you're a great boyfriend or you want the "firsthand" experience...just sayin' :biggrin1:.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
- I own around over a dozen (including a few sports bras), but then I don't like having to do laundry every week. A bra is lingerie aka an undergarment so it should be changed frequently.

- 36D

- I love La Perla lingerie for special occasions, but you can get a good daily bra by Gilligan & O'Malley at Target for under $15.

- Life span can vary according to how often a bra gets worn and how you care for it. I handwash mine and then air dry and have enough that I am not wearing the same bra more than once a week, usually. I replace mine anywhere from 6 months to a year after I buy them.

- Fit is key, so that should be the first consideration.

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks everyone. And yes, I'm a great boyfriend ;-)

I don't know how she normally gets bras. I guess she bought them at Target. The newest bra she owns is one from Victoria Secret and I bought her that one well over a year ago.

I think she has about 2-3.... she might've thrown one away.

B_JenniTalia

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
All of my fellow ladies have done a great job outlining this, but to be succinct: the longevity of a decent quality bra has as much to do with the wearer as the bra itself.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
How many bras do you own? (is that the correct plural spelling of "bra"?)

What's your size?

What's a good brand?

And again, what's its lifespan?

I think i'm going to take my babe bra shopping again.

I own about 8 bras, plus a variety of corsets - sexy and practical.

My size isn't pertinent to this discussion, except to say that because I wear a larger size they are far more expensive and I have to buy them online or at specialty stores.

I buy a specialty store-brand for my daily wear bras and a different brands for the other ones.

Lifespan depends on care of the bra. My daily wear bras are good for about 6 months to a year. The underwire is usually the first to go. But I wash them in a special bag and they never go in the dryer. As mentioned by others, the heat breaks down the stretchy fibres.

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bras are supposed to be replaced annually, but I never do. When is it over? When the bra is on the tightest hooks, and the band can be pulled more than an inch or two away from the body. That bra is done, because the band, the chief provider of support, is to elastic to do its job. Hand wash only! Do not use Woolite. I was recently told that Woolite has a fabric softener in it, and that fabric softener is the enemy of elastic, Lycra, and Spandex.

Last edited:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It really does depend.
Some brands are more sturdy and are made of better quality materials.
Some are worn more than others because of their sheer comfort factor.

I wash mine in pure soap flakes (Lux Flakes) in a machine set on cold and on gentle cycle in a lingerie bag..like this one.
Lingerie Wash Bag - Soma Intimates
I also never dry them in the dryer and I never hang them out on the line in the sun.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have found that the new ones with molded foam cups last longer, unless the foam is cheap and crumbles. Lace shreds faster than non-lace. And when I buy, I try for a bra that hooks at the widest hook to fit, because elastic will only be stretching bigger as it ages, and you can always hook it tighter that way.

Also I am not a snob; I buy bras at thrift stores all the time. Sizes are no substitute for trying on.

As for washing, they have little net bags to put your fine things in when using the washing machine. Or if you don't have enough to fill it, make sure hooks are hooked closed so the straps do not catch in the agitator.

D_Hey Sailor

Experimental Member
Media
What we need to do is get the military to design bras under the pretense of warfare. That should get the design perfected and put through the ruggedization process. :laugh2:

Now on future weapons: The battle bra

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally I think all this hand washing, do-not-tumble-dry stuff is totally unnecessary. I've always machine washed and tumble dried, without one of the little bags, and my bras last a fair while before they show wear, have underwires break, or get too loose. Although the hooks do occasionally get caught in other clothing, creating pulls in the clothes, and bending the hooks. Seriously, I'm lazy as fuck. Even if my bras fell apart after 3 months due to machine washing, I'd still think it worth it to machine wash. But the ones I get, don't. I tend to buy practical bras, rather than pretty, delicate bras though, so maybe that's why I can get away with the machine washing/tumble drying.

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You have lots of great answers here from the ladies. I def. recommend taking your lady to a true lingerie store and let them measure and fit her. She will have endless selections and will be a new person when she leaves. No more bras from Target!! They are all mostly foreign made, if not 100%.

Buy American. Or Italian. Or British. All have quality designers who need your business.

36-C. I own about eight and they last usually a year or so. Gentle wash cycle. or handwash when I am in bathing. Hang dry.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have three bras and two sports bras, one that my husband calls CPR. It does a pretty good job of chest compression. He says he doesn't want to be in the room when I take it off because there could be collateral damage!

I can usually keep a bra going good for about two years before it just disintegrates. One I've only had for six months, and I don't think it's going to make the year mark. I haven't paid less than $75 for a bra in years.

I always said if men had to wear hose that they would have invited the non-run hose in the 50s. Same for bras: if men wore bras we'd see a high-tech replacement for the underwire and permanent elastic.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ms. Ellie, have you seen some of these fat men? I think we should get these poor souls into minimizers! Minimizers ae terrible for women, and do not accomplish the goals they set out to achieve, but for a fat man, they would. If we can get fat men wearing bras, we could finally get what we need!