What is this?

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As it says on the tin, it's a sponge pudding with raisins in it. One of the staples of school lunches all over Britain - although one school decided to rename it "Spotted Richard" if the red-tops are to be believed.

D

deleted3782

Is Dick sold by the can here in the US, or just Britain?

D

deleted3782

Dick is sold in the USA at stores brave enough to carry it. I never buy Dick, but get free samples by the mouthful at a gay bar.

Hmm, I need to find one of these Dick sales outlets. In contrast to the Heinz brand, I wonder of Hunts brand Dick is meatier?

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spotted dick is a steamed dried fruit pudding, much loved by British school cooks. Served with lashings of pastry cream (custard!) it is a must in cold weather. Beats jello everytime.

Fagotts, I do believe, is a savoury pudding made from ground pork, pork liver, onions, spices, and made into something resembling a large meat ball by moulding into shape with kidney caul. Unlike the American frankfurter it doesn't contain ground hogs' noses and udders.

An aesthetic meal might be a savaloy with two faggots!

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Heinz do a range of puddings in tins - not very good in my view. Spotted Dick is pretty much standard in Britain, a bit old fashioned, typical of school dinners. You put custard on it.

Haggis is mainstream in Scotland - for example it is the sort of thing people eat from the takeaway on Friday night (in batter and with chips) or is served in hospitals in Scotland. It is available elsewhere in the UK but unfortunately not as easily.

An English staple (particularly in the north) is Black Pudding. This is a pudding made from blood, usually pigs' blood, and is a breakfast staple.

Faggots are again mostly northern. One of the main manufacturers is called Brain, so they are Brain's Faggots.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unlike the American frankfurter it doesn't contain ground hogs' noses and udders.
this could get confusing since there is an animal called a ground hog that isn't a hog that is ground up. Its the mascot of the PA instant lottery, Gus, the second most famous ground hog in PA. The most famous being Punxsutawney Phil.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Making it from scratch is not so difficult, it's so much better than canned pudding. One of the things that I have loved saying since I was a child. Spotted Dick without the currants or raisins is just dick!

4oz raisins
2oz currants
3oz dark brown sugar
Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
8oz self-raising flour plus extra for dusting
4oz shredded suet
Pinch of salt
2 fl oz milk

In a small bowl mix the raisins, currants, sugar and lemon rind for the filling.

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl; add the suet and the salt and rub together to combine. Add a little milk and using a knife cut through the mixture, adding more milk little by little until it comes together. Finally use your hands to combine into a soft, elastic dough. Add more milk if necessary.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle approx (8 x 12 inches).

Evenly spread the pudding filling mixture over the dough leaving a 1/2 inch border. Paint the border with a little cold water. Roll up carefully from the narrow end.

Soak a clean tea towel or cloth napkin in boiling water for a few minutes, squeeze to remove excess water.

Wrap the suet roll pudding in the napkin twisting at each end at securing with kitchen string.

Steam the pudding roll for 2 hours in a steamer. Alternatively, wrap the pudding suet roll in foil and bake in a hot oven (400 degree) for 1 hour 30 mins.)

Unwrap immediately, cut into thick slices and serve in warmed bowls with lashings of custard.

KXHornbag

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
<sigh> reminds me of my childhood. Spotted dick and custard was a staple pudding in the school canteen - it has quite a high fat content as it's normally made with suet (a fat product). Oh and faggotts are a meatball not a potato dish as implied earlier.