What is your earliest childhood memory?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, May 12, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

What is your earliest childhood memory?

I was in chat at about 3:00 AM today when conversation started to lag and someone asked, “What was your earliest childhood memory?” I knew mine right off.

Mine is of a Sunday morning in 1969, I was about 3 years old. I wouldn’t finish my breakfast and we were going to be late for church. At that time we were attending my father’s family’s church; in Red Bank. It was a 40 minute drive and services were in the 2-3 hour range.

My mom always packed a bottle for me in her purse to calm me when I got fidgety mid-service. Well she told me if I did not finish my breakfast she would not only, not bring a bottle to church, she would throw them all out. I did not finish my breakfast. She did not bring a bottle with her; and I screamed and cried so much in church, we had to leave. I was unconsolable.

After that I decided that I would no longer drink milk unless it was served in a bottle. My mother is a woman of her word and all bottles had been thrown out. She took me to the doctor afraid my little body would shrivel up and die. The doctor said, “Give her chocolate, or strawberry milk, or maybe Ovaltine.” Nestlé’s Quik did the trick! I have not consumed a glass of white milk since that Sunday 38 years ago. So that is not only my earliest memory, but I think the first argument, I ever had with my mom J

I called her this morning to ask if she remembered that day. She did. Mom and I often remember things differently. But on this we were quite clear. Our memories of that day are identical. We laughed about it.

Side Note: The problem wasn’t as much the bottle as it was the fact I was so tall for my age. Mom has always been concerned about appearances. Also, my mom was a tad concerned I’d go to kindergarten in 2 years bottle packed in book bag. Apparently she had been trying to wean me from the bottle for over a year. She had stopped the 3:00 AM feedings . . . but my dad didn’t because he couldn’t stand to hear me cry in the middle of the night. Yes, at 3 years of age I was still drinking from a bottle and getting one in the middle of the night as well. Though I ate all manner of table food, all beverages had to be served in a bottle or I wouldn’t drink. :tongue: Okay, so maybe I'm a little bit spoiled. :biggrin1: Do you think this is the start of me being high maintenance?

So, what is your earliest childhood memory?

2. geek0

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    my earliest memory is of running away from home, im told it was just before my third birthday, id got into quite a mess whilst playing in the garden and decided i didnt want to come inside and get cleaned up for dinner, instead i decided i was going to see my grandparents so off i went without telling anyone, i remember sneaking away knowing i wasnt allowed to go do far alone and hiding behind my grandfathers chair when my dad came looking for me lol

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

3 years old-sh.. getting my ears pierced.. and this certain place used air guns.. and it got clamed on my ear, and I was petrified... I waited till I was 15 to get my ears done again.. and now have 13 ear piercings, and 5 body piercings...so it must have not been that tramatic.

4. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My earliest memory is from before I had any language. If I could talk, I would have called my mother instead of crying. I could hear someone stirring sugar into a teacup. This is what woke me. I was strong enough to stand and hold furniture, which is what I did. I stood up in my crib. I wanted out! I remember wanting to get out so very badly. I made an attempt to get out. I got my head over the rail, but as my center of gravity shifted, and I felt myself about to fall, I panicked, and tossed myself back into the crib. Still wanting out, I cried. A chair scraped against the floor in the dining room, and my grandmother spoke. My mother came in to hold me and kiss me.

5. witch

witch Member

hummmmm.... my earliest would be watching my Mom out in the snow digging out the walkway, she spied me in the window and stopped what she was doing and made tiny snowballs to toss at the window to make me laugh........ damn! how I miss that Woman and Mother’s Day is so bitter sweet for me as she passed two days after in 2001.

6. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry for your loss, witch.

7. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was New Year's Eve...I went to the party with my father, and left with my mother.

Seriously though, I remember having a stutter. My nursery school teacher would patiently makeme repeat what I said (more and more slowly each time) until I said what I wanted to without stuttering.

I am very grateful to her today because I soon learnt to speak without stuttering...and......noooo.......I......do......not......speak.......like.....this!

I love your signature njqt466!

8. B_josiah852

B_josiah852 New Member

My earliest memory was a niece who was three months older than I was pushing a stroller with her little brother in it down the grass and dirt driveway (we was poor and didn't own a car so no need for concrete or gravel). The stroller turned over and we stood and watched as my nephew rolled out of the stroller screaming and crying. My sister (the babies mother) came running out of the house and picked him up and ran back in the house with him. Little fucker never was right after that. (Just kidding lol ) Anyway that was my first memory of childhood. We was 3 years old going on 4.

9. transformer_99

Gold Member

I have childhood memories, that have simply faded into events. That is earlier in life I could graphically remember virtually every vivid detail as best one could expect. Now they're simply bullet points in my mind, an event with a brief description. I'm more concerned with the current moment, even the future, than with the past. The world comes at us so fast, what happened just a few years ago, I find is less relevant as I try to address the future in my plans.

10. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

sorry folks! but the acid drenched 80s wiped out ALL childhood memories.many people lose days,hell,ive lost 30years!

11. witch

witch Member

:smile: Thank you for your kind word, AlteredEgo

12. B_supermenc

B_supermenc New Member

my first memory concerns a few months before the 3 years of age...it was the month of May, I am of July, I was with mother and dad on the dock to fish in the evening...I held the surprise of the egg kinder...
    all of a sudden two friends of dad have arrived, with their daughter, my contemporary...and I remember to have given her the surprise of the egg, it was a plastic ring, and I told her if she wanted to become my fiancée...
    I remember me this thing as if he had been yesterday... and instead they are already spent 32 years...

13. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

My earliest memory was when i was 2 and we were at the Drive-In movies with the family watching ET, it was a little chilly outside so we packed yellow blankets. It was the few times my Grandma was with us somewhere.

I also remember the red carpet in our first church, mom said i was under a year old. But i distinctly remember the stage set up and the carpet. There's a ton of things i cant remember from a year ago strangely.

14. D_Portelay Porquesword

When I was two years old and walking, I learned the words "I'll be right back".

We were in the old part of my dad's church, before the new one was built. My parents, sister and brother were up near the pulpit...I remember wanting to go out the front door and open them myself so I said : "I'll be right back!" I could hear my family's laughter echoing through the empty sanctuary all the way outside where I had made my way.

15. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    some asshole in a mask slapping me on the ass.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

Thank you for making me feel ancient MR, I was in high school when ET came out.

17. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I remember being in the front car booster-seat (child booster-seats were in the front seat back then, between driver and passenger) with my mom driving. My sister was to my right. We were headed down a steep hill in Winston-Salem, NC when we hit an ice patch. My sister screamed because we were sliding down a hill toward a busy intersection, but mom being a Pittsburgh girl got control back and we zipped up a side street with no problem. It was my sister's scream that made it memorable. I was three at the time (according to my mom).

I also remember watching the cadets at West Point marching to music like The Washington Post when my brother attended there when I was 4.

A woman screaming and large groups of hot guys...I have no idea why these events would be so memorable to me at such a young age... ;)

18. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have lots of early childhood memories......but uncertain of the order and age I was. I just know I have memories of things that meant something to me.

My mother was a teacher so she paid someone to take care of me while she worked. There were 2 different ladies that took care of me in their home. One from birth to age 3......and then my brother was born and mom hired a family friend to come into our home. And mom worked part time for a while (substituting) until a teaching position became available after she had my brother.

Anyways, I remember being like 2 years old at the babysitter's house...... I called her "Bee". There was another little boy there she was taking care of and he was a few months younger than me. I remember intentionally shutting a door on his finger just because I could. And I guess I wanted to see what would happen. Of course afterwards I felt horrible and I sat down and cried with the friend. I don't think the babysitter was paying attention or she didn't think that I knew that what I did was wrong.....or maybe she just didn't have a clue.....but she was consoling me like I was the one that got my finger shut in the door too. And a footnote.......I have always felt bad for shutting my friends finger in a door and I apologized many many times to my childhood friend that I went all through school with and I am still good friends with to this day. But his version is that he shut my finger in the door. (I think I confused everyone when I sat down and cried because I thought I was in big trouble)

I have tramatic memories when my brother was born. My mother went into labor early and had to be rushed to the hospital. The hospital wouldn't let me be with my mother. So, my great aunt that I barely knew had to practically come to the hospital....capture me, take me out of the hospital kicking and screaming and then hold me hostage at her house. I was a pretty fiesty almost 3 year old. I remember trying to escape a couple of times.... (there I am running with this fifty something year old woman right behind me).......my aunt lived right down the street from the hospital.

I remember the day we brought my little brother home from the hospital. I was so excited and proud. But he sure wasn't what I was expecting. I thought he would be able to crawl. Mom put him in my arms and I took him into the hall in front of my room and put him down and I was very dissappointed that he didn't know how to crawl. Mom kind of freaked out and asked me what I was doing.......I told her that I was showing the baby my room. She picked the baby up and put him in his crib and told me stuff like babies don't know how to crawl right away.....they have to develop their muscles so they can. And that I am this baby's big sister and I get to help teach him how to do stuff. Anyways it got me all excited about being a big sister.

19. pdsover

pdsover New Member

Albums:
    My first memory is of my father yelling and abusing my sister, then kicking her out of home (she was 16). At the time I was playing with a toy train and loved hearing the sound it made when it rolled along, however i knew something wasn't right and was trying to play with the train as quietly as possible as to not draw attention to me.

For the next couple of nights I cried myself to sleep, remembering my mum trying to comfort me that my sister had just gone on holidays, when really I knew that she wouldn't be coming back....It was emotional as my mum worked many jobs to give us a home, so my sister was like a fill in mum.

20. Northland

Gold Member

I don't rightly know!
    So many to select from.

All before I started school the following happened:

I awoke early one morning, went about the apartment and fell. I split my nose open and bled all over my stuffed bear. Soon after my mother awoke, threw the bear in the trash and scorned me for not having stayed in bed until either she or my grandfather said it was time.

Leaving Gimbels at the basement level to catch the subway train-a store thief ran out and knocked me down, my mother grabbed me by the hand and continued with me to the subway.

Getting off the train at Coney Island, the shovel from my pail and shovel set fell out between the train and the platform-my uncle said he'd show me how to use my hands to form sand creatures, we got to the beach and he saw a female and abandoned me to my grandfather who sat on a bench most of the day drinking water (occasionally getting up to go use the facilities and dragging me along-not that I objected to going to the bathroom and seeing those handsome men pissing. The facility also had some showers directly opposite the urinals=naked men (and even then I knew what I liked {although Saddy's girlfriend that day wasn't bad either}).

And getting off the train on the return from The Worlds Fair, as the doors shut and the train started to leave, I realized I'd left my plastic dinosaur on the seat. In never saw it again.

The night after JFK was murdered, the window shade popped and I thought it was gunfire as I had been told there would be guns fired in retaliation for what had happened to him.

Somewhere in there I was in the hospital, quite ill, and stared at a window wondering where everbody had gone to. A few days later, while in an isolated room, I looked out a different window and saw children playing. Some jokester had placed the isolation room of pediatrics next to the children's play area. It still hurts!

Not yet in school, my grandfather took me along to take one of my sisters to school. She fell and hit her head against the lamp post and we went to a hospital for her to be repaired. They had funny looking women there with funny hats. It was a Catholic hospital and the women were probably nuns.

I took my grandfather's tobacco pouch and threw it out the window along with a box of brussel sprouts. The police officer walking by was not amused and told me that little boys like me got taken away and never had sweets ever again. I cried because I really liked that police officer (he was a regular fixture in the area, walking a beat). I never threw anything out the window again.

Draft saved Draft deleted