Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
FOOD 0.7

MOBILITY 10.6

SHELTER 1.8

GOODS/SERVICES 7

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 20.1

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 11.2 PLANETS. :eek:

I'm suitably ashamed....

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Recycling, fluorescents, water usage ... Check, check and check. I do separate the bigger glass items, like bottles and food containers, from the rest of the waste, and my showers are usually never take much more than five minutes, a tribute to my long hair. You guys have an advantage there ;-) When I still had it shoulder length in service, I was done showering within three minutes.

Regarding transportation, I think I could cut up on that theoretically. I know two guys from the neighborhood who work with the same company as I do, probably we could share a ride. But I like better driving myself, I don't like the hurry in the morning.

Ha, not to mention that in California, you are almost forced into some of those higher-consumption categories. There's not exactly a perfect mass-transit system there.

Oh, and I'm surprised there was not a question about whether or not you make use of a recycling service. My neighbor doesn't recycle anything. Some of it is "too much trouble" and she won't recycle her wine bottles because she "doesn't want them to think she drinks so much." My partner and I put everything that will recycle into the recycling bins. In fact, the question about having less, the same, or more trash than your neighbors was a little misleading. I usually have one bag of landfill stuff, and two bags of recyclables. Almost all our light bulbs have been replaced with much more energy efficient fluorescents. I also try to minimize water usage, and take "navy showers"... wet down, turn off the water, lather up, then rinse. I probably only use 1/3 of average when I shower.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
total footprint 22. Unfortunately, I HAVE to drive in my job....I have to carry a bunch of tools and shit everywhere I go, and respond on a moments notice. The joy or working in emergency medical equipment service....If not for my job, I doubt I would ever leave my bed, and would likely simply die quietly, thus leaving a zero footprint. Assuming I were cremated, and hopefully be allowed a carbon credit......

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
FOOD5.9
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
MOBILITY3
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
SHELTER10.6
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
GOODS/SERVICES9.1
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
TOTAL FOOTPRINT29
IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.4 PLANETS.
___

Well, well, WELL. I think I need a more energy-efficient residence and a closer supermarket with locally grown produce; I should also consider becoming vegetarian.

NCbear (wondering whether anything but the first is really doable)