naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Black
Irish (County Kilkenny)
Cherokee

I have always found it interesting that most White People always know the exact fractions of their ethnicity. The Black people I know don't do that even though most of us have some other nationality mixed in as well.

I wonder why?( you know I am being facetious) LOL! That is a topic for a whole other discussion. Or have we already discussed that before?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You make a good point, as all of us have variant traces of ethnic blood, I think. However, when talking about blood quantums, specifically for indigenous peoples, we trace back 4 generations. With that said, my mother's family (parents and grandparents) were all native. My father's family (parents and grandparents) where all native, too... for the last 4 generations... (actually, longer than that). But, if we get techincal... yes, generations back there lurks some Irish, Scot, English blood in there. Hell, pilgrims and settlers hit the east coast first and mixed marriages did occur. Fact. :)

Either way... I still have those sexy bedroom eyes (and for the record... they are hazel - bluish green, grey, green with brown specs, etc). ;)

That also hits upon something else. There is official and there is actual lineage. We all know the constructs of ethnicity are subjective and political at best.

Hazel...who came up with that word! I have the same thing and it must have something to do with those little brown specs! LOL! Some think they are green, some think they are brown, some think they are grey... Well,

Well, whatever the combination it came together beautifully. The same goes for Ms. L. Give her a big hug and pluck on the head for me. She betta IM me sometime! LOL!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have always found it interesting that most White People always know the exact fractions of their ethnicity. The Black people I know don't do that even though most of us have some other nationality mixed in as well.
:biggrin1:

My divisions are based on my sister's research on our genealogy, something she does for fun. She admitted there may be more to it than we know and I think that's always a safe assumption (Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, anyone?) Most Americans are mutts, no?

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Do elaborate... I have seen this. However, it is tilted only towards the African Ancestry.

Well the lovely QT from NJ was saying how most white folks regularly articulate their ethnic backgrounds, while most black folks don't - it's because they can't. While "European American" is accurate, most can say "Italian American" or "Irish American". Most Black People can only say "African American" rather than identifying with their specific ethnic background.

Ok, I'll admit it - I saw a commercial for this while watching the 30th anniversary broadcast of Roots on TV 1. BUT - a large number of my family is black. Maybe not genetically related family, but family nonetheless... I already told about the whole church thing growing up...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do elaborate... I have seen this. However, it is tilted only towards the African Ancestry.

Yeah.... that is aimed toward African Americans. A lot of African Americans are descendants of slaves. Their history has been lost. There was a big thing on Oprah about this, she did the test to see where she came from as well. It's really quite interesting.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well the lovely QT from NJ was saying how most white folks regularly articulate their ethnic backgrounds, while most black folks don't - it's because they can't. While "European American" is accurate, most can say "Italian American" or "Irish American". Most Black People can only say "African American" rather than identifying with their specific ethnic background.

Ok, I'll admit it - I saw a commercial for this while watching the 30th anniversary broadcast of Roots on TV 1. BUT - a large number of my family is black. Maybe not genetically related family, but family nonetheless... I already told about the whole church thing growing up...

True, true. I guess I was thinking more about the later half of her statement. It took me back to the Cherokee rant I had a few months ago. One person said that even though he had been told he had Cherokee ancestry he chose not to even go there. I am assuming (and we know about assumptions) that was because in America until recently even if you looked like Cigar Babe( A beautiful woman if I might say so) it was assumed that the very potent one drop of the Motherland cancelled out everything else in the eyes of the rank and file.
Yes, It would be amazing to know what parts of Africa my ancestors came from. It is an absolute disgrace that what so many take for granted many of African descent within the Americas and Carribean can not. There may be hints but not total absolute assurance.

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Rather than multi-quote:

Some Northern Native Amerian tribes did have light-eyed members.

It really annoys me that I have heard black people tell others that every black person says they are part Cherokee, so just stop lying.

Sigh, people.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As my Earth Science teacher many years ago said: "I'm a Heinz-57." I liked the phrase and pilfered it. Here's why-- I have a little of this and a little of that and there were some adopted folks in there of unknown origin to really skew the percentages. There's some Polish, some Scottish, a great great great uncle who was Welsh (as were his parents) and a Belgian Great great grandmother among other mixings including a couple of Native Americans (back then known as Indians) not to mention that strange interlude that great grampa had with a Maltese woman which netted us another drop of blood from another lineage. I look like a mutt--it's near impossible to tell what my heritage is and add to this a weird hair texture--sort of like wire and multi-color (brown, red, black and these days with lots of white) Facial hair does the same run. Jewish people flock towards me, so I am figuring I must look like them (unless I drop the trousers--the mohel guy missed me).

At the end of the day it doesn't matter all that much, I still have to go to bed as whoever I am with whatever heritage is coursing through my veins.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Depends how far you wanna go back - I'm guessing most of the people posting English / Italian / French etc. above are American. Can I ask you all an honest question - how can you be sure that (for example) your Italian mama's mama wasn't of part Scottish, part Swedish, part Whatever extraction and just settled into the Italian way of doing things when she married into Italian grandpapa's family? Are you all geneology enthusiasts? And what's wrong with being a white American - if all the Germans I know can happily and proudly say 'we are German' and 'the Nazi's were a shower of evil fuckers' in the same breath why can't you all just be white Americans? This is something that has always confused me - why the need to connect to an 'old country' when you have a perfectly good country of your own (or at least you will have again, hopefully, come January 2009)

Anyway, I'm white, nationality Irish - my ancestors were:
1900 to present - mainly Irish, one English
1800 to 1900 - Scottish, Irish, English, Dutch
1600 to 1800 - French, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, English
1100 to 1600 - Norman, French, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, German, Spanish
pre 1100 - unknown

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no idea what my ethnicity is and I don't really think it matters. Where my great great grandparents came from has little relevance to my life and I think it'd be a much better world if people stopped worrying about their ancestry and tried to get along with everyone else without separating themselves into different ethnicities.