What is your favorite food native to your region?

joejack

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Living here in Germany for the last 10 Years I've really learned to appreciate the excellent breads fresh from the baker that I get everyday(except Sunday!) But being a Blatino from the Miami area nothing beats a Big Fat Cuban Sandwich that's so big you can't put you mouth around it. That's always one of the first things I buy win I'm at home for a visit!:biggrin1:
Don't you have your Cuban toasted and pressed?

It's difficult to tell what's regional and what isn't. Certainly having New York so close we have wonderful bagels and pizza, fantastic subs, and perfect pastrami, but very few regional recipes survive in daily use. Of them, I love red cabbage and Dutch chocolate cake. There are butter cookies too though I don't like them. Shad is loved by many people. I find eating shad akin to performing surgery. They are double boned fish and filleting them is next to impossible. By the time you're done you've nearly choked to death several times and your plate is cold. Shad roe is much better and quite delicious fried in white wine and butter. I don't know if lamb with mint jelly or roast beef with tomato jelly counts either. We do love endive. I like it best fresh with a cream dip.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Full English Breakfast....Crispy smoked bacon, grilled tomato, baked beans, fried mushrooms, chipolatas, eggs, scrambled/fried or poached and hot buttered toast....with the obligatory hot cuppa of tea!

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure what the "famous" foods from Indiana are, well except for Orville Redenbacher popcorn! :biggrin1:

But where I live now we have barbecue and Tex-Mex! No wonder I haven't been able to lose any weight! :biggrin1::biggrin1:

M

Mr Ed in Mass

Lobster
Steamers
Crabs
Corn on the cob
Boston cream pie
Any Italian food from Bostons' North End
Any food from Chinatown

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lobster
Steamers
Crabs
Corn on the cob
Boston cream pie
Any Italian food from Bostons' North End
Any food from Chinatown

Don't forget clam rolls
And that NE clam chowder that is not a bisque and not red. I mean that wonderful stuff that looks like used dishwater with butter floating on the top. You know what I mean?

Also, from my ancestral home in Connecticut, the original sub sandwich called a Grinder. Nothing like it anywhere else. It has taken me a long time to duplicate it out here in OHio.

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Although it's not native to my region (the South), the food I crave is an authentic Greek gyro! The best I've had is at Greektown Gyros in Chicago -- it's sort of a dive (do NOT go in the bathrooms), but the gyros just can't be beat!

Food I can get locally...I love a good seared, sesame-crusted ahi tuna...rare...with sliced pickled ginger and wasabi. If I want to be a real Southern boy, I can't pass up homemade buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy. Bad for the arteries, but good for the soul.

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is not native to Ireland but native to my home country of the Netherlands.

Poffertjes :yumyum: (small 1.5 inch wide mini hotcakes) smothered in rum butter and served with powdered sugar. It is served either hot or cold as breakfast, lunch, dessert or as a snack with either sausages, ice cream or mixed fruit depending on your taste.

Another native dish to the Netherlands is raw pickled herring served with raw chopped onions and eaten straight off the skin. (thanks but no thanks).

NC-Style barbecue from the western part of your state is better! :wink:

How DARE you say that! :mad:

Hehe. Actually, I figured something would say that. :tongue: But I can't say I entirely agree! Doesn't it have like a tomatoey-base? (Yeah, I said tomatoey)

I prefer it with vinegar, like we make here. Mmm.

Dem folk dont know hows to make a gud BBQ. We do it rights in Eastern N. Carolaki.

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Grew up in NW Minnesota and there are a few foods I still look forward to when we head back home for the holidays:

Lutfisk-can only stomach it once a year, (Christmas Eve) but it has that homey taste to it.

Potetlefse-(Potato flatbread)Only on Christmas Day. IMO best when topped with homemade cowberry preserves on Christmas morning. However, before heading out for the inevitable game(s) of shinny. It is best to eat a couple of them topped with peanut butter to last through the game(s) until Christmas dinner.

Bison Jerky-tasty staple when out hunting or fishing.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Staffordshire oatcakes!

Yum Yum, with bacon and baked beans.

Spring lamb, particularly a full rack, rare with rosemary and garlic. Apologies to those of a vegetarian disposition.

Sometimes, I just have to have Manx Kippers for breakfast.

I am considering a trip to the States, just for the two Philly Cheesesteaks. I have a friend who has told me countless times which of the two restaurants is the best, but I never remember. :rolleyes:

When I am in SEA, I cant get enough Vietnamese spring rolls. Also love panang :wink:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... Doesn't it have like a tomatoey-base? (Yeah, I said tomatoey)
In the Piedmont region they barbecue w/o sauce, just a dry rub. The restaurants put a tomato-based sauce on the table, but it's for "out of towners". :smile: I used to sprinkle tabasco sauce on mine but as I've gotten older I've had to cut back to just a few drops or omit it.
I prefer it with vinegar, like we make here. Mmm.
I guess you're refering to the slaw? :biggrin1: Seriously, I like vinegar-based slaw, sometimes called "chow-chow". The mayonnaise-based stuff is pathetic in comparison.