What is your favorite or least favorite Airline?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I like Jetblue the best. The reason is because of the satellite TVs in front of you. I also like the added touch of a choice of 7 or 8 different snacks. Other airlines just throw a small bag of pretzels at you. They also have roomy leather seats, extra legroom, and no first class. I've also heard that fares to Florida ares low as $59 each way.

I also like Continental they have a major hub at Newark Int'l. Airport.

One Airline that I have heard bad things about is USA3000. I heard that a non-stop flight from Ft. Myers was first sent to Ft. Lauderdale and then to Newark. I also heard that they use gate agents from other airlines, if you complain they say that they do not work for USA3000.

I try to avoid any Airline that is rumored to be in bankruptcy. If they go under the keep your money and you have to find another flight.

I do not fly very often. Maybe on average once a year. This year I will fly twice, last year I drove to Florida.

I have been lucky to not be stranded at an airport. The only problem was a two hour delay leaving the Bahamas once because of bad weather in the Northeast.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Cathay Pacific........the best long haul carrier in my opinion

3. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hear, hear. I once had Wankmaster status on OneWorld, and could use the CP 1st class lounge at the new Chep Lap Kok airport in Hong Kong. The shower rooms actually feature a massage table and whirlpool bath, both of which are welcome when you're between 12-hour legs. Another drink, Mr. Headbang? A manicure, Mr. Headbang? Rose petals sprinkled in your path, Mr. Headbang?

Or worse, your frequent flyer miles go up in smoke. When Ansett Australia went belly up, I lost 60,000 of them. And my lifetime Wankmaster status evaporated, too. Silly me, I thought it was my lifetime, not theirs.

The satellite TVs are handy when the front landing gear gets stuck and you want to watch the live TV news report of your plane's emergency landing. And the snacks don't make up for scheduling meltdowns like Feb 14. I"ll take an airline with a little more experience.

Continental has lifted its game considerably of late. And when you consider the hell which is other NYC airports, Newark looks pretty damn good. You just have to be smart about getting there and back, though, since train connections are patchy and neither NY nor NJ cabs can get a fare in the reverse direction.

Best airline? Any of the Asian long-haul airlines that fly the so-called Kangaroo Route (Europe/SEA/Australia in one stop) need to be top notch. It's very competitive, and the airlines out-do themselves.

Cathay, Singapore and Qantas are the best, though I've flown both Singapore and Qantas recently, and I think they've gone off their game a little. Emirates gets good reports on that route, too.

Worst? US Airways. Almost NEVER on time, overbooking is a policy. I have relatives in Pgh and Philadelphia, who pretty much have to fly USAir. Before I go to the airport to pick them up, I need to check that the flight hasn't been cancelled, rescheduled, delayed or abandoned. So far, the odds have been 75/25 that they won't arrive on time, if at all.

Alitalia is a basket case.

Air France flight attendants are the rudest. They're currently on strike here in Europe; my question is how could they tell? That said, AF flight crew were heroes when that plane skidded off the runway in Toronto a couple of years ago. They evacuated an entire plane in 2 minutes, and saved the lives of all on board. I guess one can put up with their attitude, no?

4. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Here, here. agreed!

5. pdsover

pdsover New Member

Albums:
    Virgin Blue the best and Jetstar the worst by far.

6. B_Swimming Lad

B_Swimming Lad New Member

British Airways always seems fine to me. Dunno if its my favourite.
    I've never been on an American Airline but my Dad says Delta is pretty shocking.

7. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Delta is awful. Every flight i've ever had with them has been cancelled or delayed.

8. Osiris

Gold Member

Midwest Airlines is the best. Low fares, wide leather seats (no coach class, all first class), great staff, and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies on every flight.

Northwest is the worst. Their planes are always breaking down, customer service sucks, not to mention they left me stranded overnight in Memphis and couldn't find me a hotel and their solution to my issue was give me a $5 food coupon. (Insert flurry of four letter words here.)

9. NovaBone

NovaBone New Member

Midwest Airlines. I've been flying on them since they originated. All seats are extra-wide, leather, buisness-class, but the fares are very reasonable. Flights are never cancelled or overbooked. Delays are rare.
    Best part -- they bake and serve chocolate chip cookies on every flight.

10. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

My best experiences have been with Virgin Atlantic, & Continental coming a close second.

I owe Virgin a massive debt of thanks from when I lost my passport & wallet in Denver, CO, with all the work they did for me to get me back home. If it was not for Virgin's efforts (& my bank wiring me out some cash), I would have been totally fucked, as my travel Insurance did not want to know. That & year previous to this, when Virgin did a very good deal for myself & 2 friends when we was due to fly out on a overbooked flight. One our delay / go with US Airways, and in return one free return coach class ticket to anywhere on virgin's network, excluding transfers. Even better, we took this offer from JFK > Heathrow London, just as we got through the arrivals gate, the flight we was supposed to be on just touched down... so we beat the flight back, and got a free return flight, all for the sake of one hours delay.

As for worst, this is easy..... America West, especially after the very harsh treatment my mate / GF got when she panicked as it was her first ever flight, & the very hostile response myself / friend got when we went on to Denver

11. Principessa

Gold Member

I like British Airways and MidWest Airlines.

12. D_smack ash

D_smack ash Account Disabled

United, flying on delta next weeek

13. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

AirAsia, RyanAir, SouthWest, etc... airlines that actually charge reasonable fares. I don't care if I don't have extra helpings of peanuts or 30 different Pauly Shore movies to pick from during my flight, if I'm paying $15 to fly from London to Amsterdam, $30 to fly from Bangkok to Manila, or $70 to fly from Washington to Chicago, then I'm pretty happy. Even if they charge you extra for large checked baggage or you have to pay a fee to reschedule your flights, you still end up paying a lot less than on certain other airlines.

On the flip side of the coin, United, what the fuck? For $1000-$2000 tickets virtually everywhere, I expect to get laid at least 5 times on the way to my destination. Yet their service isn't any better, their planes not any more comfortable.

I also like Korean Air. Fares aren't too unreasonable if you go through a Korean travel agent, but more importantly all the stewardesses are in these adorable white uniforms with big blue bows tied around their necks and ribbons in their hair. For 16 hour transoceanic flights, their business class accommodations are very comfortable. Economy class I'd only recommend for shorter flights.

14. Willy_the_Wonka

Willy_the_Wonka New Member

Albums:
  15. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

midwest/continental in that order - best

worst - american/us scareways/united/northworst

16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I flew on Aeroflot for the first time this summer and it was ok. The flight from Istanbul to Moscow was on a Tupolov 152. They had wood trim in the cabin! I was in business and the seats were super comfy, but I walked back into economy and it was pretty shabby. The flight from Moscow to Beijing was on a 767 and was equal to British Airways (nothing special). One thing not good was that the young, pretty stewardesses worked economy while we got the old fat ones up front. It didn't make sense.

China Southern is a good and comfortable airline. Their domestic flights are quite cheap.

Lufthansa is good but it is always too cold in the cabin, so remember to take a sweater. Air France is a disaster in every way except the food is great.

My favorite is Thai Airways business class. It is perfect in every way. Great food, beautiful service, clean airplanes and the stewardesses are hot looking.

Least favorite is Southwest. They gave a paper bag with a stale sandwich and a dead apple for food. The connections in Phoenix were a mess and we ended up sleeping in terminal.

Oh almost forgot- avoid Cyprus Airlines -*shudder*- bad, bad memories...

As near as I can remember, I took 29 flights in the last year.

17. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jetblue is awesome. All leather seats, cable TV LCD monitors for all passengers.
    And the attendants were genuinely friendly. The prices are great too.
    They have had some problems in the past, but it never effected my flights with them.
    And I would fly again with them in a heartbeat.

KLM kicks butt, nice roomy planes, great service and almost all flight attendants are longlegged blonde beauties, they are a bit pricey though.

American Airlines sucks balls, grumpy attendants, horrible outdated planes...blech.

18. dong20

Gold Member

That reminds me of a flight I made with Royal Air Cambodge a few years back, the a/c vents pouring condensation so one could barely see the other side of the cabin and the locked yes locked doors (I checked) between cabin sections on take off and landing.:eek:! It too was an old Tupolev, T154 I think but I don't recall. I also flew on a similar type with Cubana, it broke down on the runway and they almost went anyway!! Eventually we taxied back and I think they fixed it with a hammer and some gaffer tape.

My favourite airline is probably South African, at least that's the one I fly with the most. I agree with the comments about Cathay but they don't fly the routes I usually do. As for the the others (as this list is from memory it will be flawed and incomplete).
    • BA - OK not what they used to be. Good backup.
    • El-Al - Secure! Great looking cabin crew and good food.
    • Dan(d)air - my first flight (comet)....uninspiring but it was way back
    • Air France - Not one I'd recommend, but cheap.
    • Alitalia - haha, see above, only not cheap
    • US Airways - Late, cheap and grumpy
    • Southwest - Late, cheap but nice crew (at least on my one flight with them)
    • Turkish Airlines - very friendly, that's all I recall
    • MEA - Great airline, new planes, good food and friendly crew
    • Royal Jordanian - Not quite as good as MEA
    • Quantas - Very professional, confidence inspiring, great Dry Aussie wit!
    • Air Tahiti - Funky!!
    • LAN Chile - OK, nothing memorable
    • American Airlines - Late, not especially friendly crap food
    • Fuerza Area Paragua - Hitched a ride, these guys now how to have fun in the air!
    • Aerolineas Argentinas - OK, nothing special but nice food
    • Ryanair - Cheap, need sharp elbows
    • Easyjet - not quite so cheap as ryanair, worth the extra
    • Iberia - Uninspiring, not good food
    • SAS - Great, wish they had a wider network
    • Indian Airlines - Scary but kind of fun! Great food and lots of it!
    • LAB - I know I flew with them, can't recall much more
    • Air Pacific (Vietnamese) - One of the hottest crews!!
    • Thai - Friendly, good food
    • Virgin - Very friendly, till it goes a bit wrong. Good cabins
    • COPA - Hmm....buckle up!!
    • South China Airlines - Businesslike....
    • Czech airlines - Great, friendly and punctual
    • Mexicana - Loved it!
    There's more but I'm bored now. I'd say my least favourite is Air France.

To be honest there's not much to tell between most airlines, you get a seat, an excuse for a meal and if you're lucky halfway friendly cabin crew. Anything over that is a bonus, and if it's a regular bonus the they get my vote, SAA regularly deliver for me. Plus, one more trip and they owe me a free first class return from my miles.

19. Sam1070

Sam1070 New Member

Best Lufthansa. Worst: Air France

20. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    $5.00 ??? $6.50 at least...I love JetBlue

Draft saved Draft deleted