What is your greatest FEAR?

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
jeff black said:
Something else that surprises me, is that no one seems to be AFRAID of being discriminated against for being homosexual.

That's because fear has to involve something imaginary or unknown--something that is potential rather than real. Discrimination in the US at least is not something that might happen.

This is going to sound strange, and idealistic--but what I am afraid of is the death of reason. Fascism, fundamentalism, hatred of your neighbors, violence toward anyone who opposes you--these have replaced reason as an ideal in the US.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't really have any fears.

Certain social situations cause unwanted, uncontrolled and irrational anxiety in me. Sometimes speaking in front of a crowd, sometimes trying to ask a girl out, et cetera. But I wouldn't qualify that as fear.

I'd rather not die by drowning or being slowly digested by an Anaconda, I think that would be unpleasant, and in that situation I'm sure my sympathetic (or is it parasympathetic?) nervous system would be pumping out all sorts of chemicals. But I don't have an active fear of these things.

I dislike growing old, having to pay bills, the creeping feeling that I'm not accomplishing as much with my life as I would like. I would qualify these feelings more as angst than fear.

I'm paranoid about getting pulled over by cops, because this happens all the time. But this seems like rational cautionary behavior to me considering past experiences.

Scary movies do nothing for me. I find most of them more comical and/or boring than scary.

I've never felt that intimidated by anyone. Not since I was a child. I know there are a few people out there bigger than me, stronger than me, smarter than me... but not very many of them. And I don't feel threatened by the ones who are out there.

I like trying new things, eating new and unfamiliar foods, meeting new and interesting people, visiting places I haven't been before. I don't fear the unusual and I don't fear the unfamiliar. I like breaking up my daily routine as well.

I have a tendency to be pretty spontaneous with a strong adventurous streak. Moving across the country when I was 19 for instance, without having any place in mind of where I was going to stay, where I was going to work, etc. Just my car and the money in my pocket. Or for another example, travelling to Eastern Europe by myself, again with no set criteria, no solid plans of meeting anyone I knew, no hotel arrangements, no traveller's checks, just a pocket Polish dictionary and my ATM card.

I don't really find myself becoming very attached to people anymore so I don't fear losing anyone at this point. I would be upset if something happened to my parents or my nephews or my cousin... but I don't fear this eventuality.

I no longer fear God.

I don't think I have any legitimate phobias. I quite enjoy heights, I enjoy driving at dangerously high speeds, I like swimming in the ocean, I enjoy the dark, I like being alone, I like animals, don't have a problem with spiders/snakes/dogs/rats, I enjoy roller coasters, I like jumping off the high-dive at the pool, I'd go skydiving in a minute if I had the chance, I've met many people from the internet in person and haven't yet been axe-murdered or serially-raped by any of them in spite of my parents' concerns. Actually I'm the exact opposite of my father, who worries about everything.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
^ thought I should add, I also dislike confrontation and often try to avoid it, especially in person. I also strongly dislike being judged, especially in regards to something I have invested myself in creatively. This is part of the reason I don't really enjoy art or writing classes, though I love doing both. I just don't like getting feedback. Sometimes my strong dislike of these things leads me to act in ways similar to fear, but again I think this is more like anxiety than actual fear.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I also strongly dislike being judged

Dude I so agree. I have often reassure my colleagues by saying that people don't like being judged by people they regard as inferior to themselves, and that goes for all of us.

I can't pin-point anything that I am afraid of these days. I'm not that kind of guy I suppose. I don't mind risks, I love driving in hazardous conditions: ice, snow, fog, rain and in the dark is the best.

I have the odd anxiety these days, but then again they are familiar, and I understand them pretty much.

Possibly I get concerned about not being able to sleep well. I'm not that great after a week of 5 hours a night or less, and I can see how I my head/life can easily turn to shit if I don't get time to be in my own bed. My relationship with my bed is my primary relationship these days.

I have had a few fears in the past about losing family, never ending grief, stalkers, having no money, and the odd physical threat when travelling.

I did some work a while ago in an area with some risk of bird flu, rabies, sars and cholera, and I was very careful to stay healthy. I think I just get paranoid about taking preventive measures, rather than experience fear. It is probably because I can't be bothered with the energy it requires to be afraid. Call me lazy (or arrogant - like my mother) but to be afraid sounds like too much effort.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would really hate to drown... Just that long wait as the water goes into your lungs and you choke and gasp for air and sink to the bottom of the river....

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm afraid of being "stuck". What I mean is being stuck in a small town, being stuck doing something I hate, being stuck around people I don't like, etc. I've felt stuck in a small town with nothing to offer for a long time now, and if it weren't for college coming up and getting me out of here I'd likely go insane.

A more concrete fear of mine is bears, or any other nasty that can eat/kill me while hiking/camping or running trails.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Hospitals. Never truly connecting to someone. Judgement about gay tendencies that I can't seem to become at peace with. Dying and feeling like I wasted vast expanses of time.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I mentioned this in SpoiledPrincess' "What Scares the Piss out of You?" thread already, but dying in my sleep is my biggest fear. I would like to know that the end of my life is near. I also fear dying in a violent or freakish manner.

Other things that I fear are losing those that I love, any of my senses, and the way of life that I'm accustomed to and enjoy.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I lost all my fear when I spent 11 days waiting to die 2 years ago. I used to be afraid of death, pain and dead insects (go figure) now I'm in love with everything about life - even the fucking awful bits. Nothing scares me - not even the Tax Man!

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A more concrete fear of mine is bears, or any other nasty that can eat/kill me while hiking/camping or running trails.

There was a black bear mauling just upstream from our US Forest Service cabin in Montana and a year before that a grizzly bear killed a man in an area we had been in the week before and yet I have no fear of bears. Not that I would walk up to one and try to shake paws. You are in their element and you also have potential to be part of the food chain, that's life. You are more likely to die in an automobile accident or from a be sting. As Alfred E. said, What, me worry?"

I have also found mountain lion tracks on my trail when I backtracked. It is their environment and right of way.