Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
From what I've read Arthur Conan Doyle was born in Edinburgh Scotland.

Yep you are right, I got mixed up... Sherlock Holmes was 'born' here as Arthur Conan Doyle moved to Portsmouth in his early 20's & set up a medical parctice, he then wrote his first novels here in which Sherlock Holmes appeared...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No matter
at least we are aware Shakespeare was b in Stratford upon Avon
(its famous to me personnaly cos i brought a new Honda 90 step thru scooter from there ha)

bemused me, to some degree, all the plaques UK wide, depicting who / what, shat where
villages claim to fame, admittedly all neccesary
sitting on a remote part of Hadrians wall, i 1/2 expected to see a worn bronze plaque, within a few feet of my seat.....saying ................

Pompeynate

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah we do love our history in the UK! :tongue:

To be fair though there is lots of it & plenty of historical buildings, hence the plaques all over. It may also be because so many building were lost during the war, so we make the most of the ones that we still have.

Here the house where Charles Dickens was born still stands & is now a museum, though it is surrounded by high rise tower blocks & is next to the junction to the motorway that takes you out of Portsmouth...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
aah
tbh i travelled the UK fr its history in particular i enjoyed all the plaques etc, walk down an obscure laneway. and thats where so n so lived etc
Tears in eyes when white cliffs of Dover were sighted, even the picturesque lakelands colouring pencils image, of the factory, from across the water ha, stopped mesmerized wi that..school days, and the tins of coloured pencils
Travelling down the hedgerows , the obscure n the famous castles etc etc
None of that here in NZ,of course
Sure wouldnt get that sort of thing in the ...USA either haha, or the gentlemanly politeness of the average person.

aditt

USA either haha, or the gentlemanly politeness of the average person.
naaah i take that back..
in case people are thinking i am inferring nasty on the US folk..
have heard Americans in there own country at least, can be 'mighty friendly'

Last edited:

BonerMountain

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My town is famous for its crimes and housing situation. It topped the Forbe's Most Miserable City in America list a couple times within the past few years, but its out of the top 10 list this year.

I dont know why I sometimes get a slight feeling that I'm boasting about something bad :rolleyes:

setsuna91

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hometown i grew up in was most famous for its fair residents. aka, carnies. gibsonton, fl, was also known as carnietown. (mainly because lobster boy was a resident and was brutally murdered only a few blocks away from my house. O_O)

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Boston: a few famous things. But, sports and history.

Town I grew up in was Historical (like Boston.) Washington rowing across the Delaware River on Christmas day to fight the Hessians. When I was young there was a summer theatre that performed in the round under a tent. On Christmas day the owner of the theatre and some of the other locals would dress up and recreate the crossing. But, they were always getting drunk and a few would end up in the river. Also, lots of restaurants and artists.

ArtofDesire

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am originally from Winston-Salem, NC. I moved away a couple of years ago but Forbes.com recently recognized downtown Winston-Salem, NC as one of the best in America. Winston-Salem Receiving High Marks and National Rankings | What's New | Visit Winston-Salem

The town is primarily known for it's active commitment to the arts and culture (NC School of the Arts is located in Winston-Salem), but it is also known for its quaint, historical downtown district of Old Salem, the original German Moravian settlement which is a National Historic Landmark.

Winston-Salem is also the former home of RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company - founding family still lives there and the multiple park-like estates which are now open to the public are wonderful to explore.

Winston-Salem is also the home of 'Texas Pete' hot sauce (made by the Garner Co.); it's colonial heritage and civil war history and reenactments.

As to where I live now: Providence, RI was one of the earliest cities established in the USA (1636), it's also known for being the home of Brown University and the world reknowned Rhode Island School of Design.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

Taunton Ma
It was the first city in America founded by a woman [Elizabeth Poole} in 1637
Home of Declaration of Independence signer Robert Treat Payne
It's called "Silver City " for all the silver shops that use to manufacture quality silverware.
Reed and Barton is probably the only one left now.
Until recently,It use to be the 25th largest city in America in land area with only 50,000 population [50 square miles ]
Made one of the very first battles flags in America during the Revolutionary War [The Liberty and Union Flag].

Last edited by a moderator: