What is your lame claim to fame?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
.... wait I have another one.

When I was eight my maternal aunt took me to see Artur Rubinstein play at Symphony Hall in Boston. We were on the stage in back of him and I was transfixed. I recall the intensity of his playing and woman with blue hair (unintentionally so) who blocked me from watching his hands play Scarlatti.

Ok, I have to ask.... why???

Lol - there was a subject she was discussing on telly after a bloke had called in, so I wrote her a letter with a couple of ideas cos something similar had happened to me, and she wrote back to say ta, and discuss it a bit lol.

She seemed really nice actually. It was over 10 yrs ago now tho, heh.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
During a Go-Go's concert at Radio City music Hall I ran onstage and gave Belinda Carlisle a kiss on the cheek while she was singing.

My particular claims?

I've had letters to the editor published in Car & Driver, X-Men, and Newsweek.

When I was 12 or so a production company was filming a made-for-TV movie and recruited people from my summer television production class for kid extras at the community college. The working title of the movie was Murder On A Monorail. I was an extra on the train which suffers a terrorist attack. They made me up to play a body but the producers decided that none of we kids should be shown as a dead body so they didn't film us in the aftermath scene. This thing was so bad that it never made it out of the can. I don't know what happened to it.

When I was 17, The World According to Garp was filmed at my boarding school. I applied to be an extra but was turned down for having too many zits. That fall, however, the production crew came back to film some callback scenes and I did make it into that cut. There's a scene where a young boy runs into the infirmary building. The camera pans from the right to show the running boy and I was just half a second out of the edit of the pan. It really sucked because the opening shot of that scene would have shown me and another kid sitting on the steps of another building. A lot of my friends and some of the faculty made it into the movie though so it's cool.

I was 12 or 13 when Kenny Rogers' private jet landed at Syracuse airport the same time a commuter plane landed I was on with my father. One of his handlers asked me if I'd like an autograph. I told him no. He was like, "Really! I can get you an autograph from Kenny Rogers!" I was like, "The plane has his name on the side. I believe you. Thank you anyway." He was offended that I wouldn't want the autograph of such an illustrious persona as the great Kenny Rogers. My father was speechless and then laughed, shocked that I didn't fall all over this guy for an autograph. Later on, it turned out we were staying at the same hotel and Rogers looked over at me and said, "Are you following me kid?" He was smiling when he said it but for some reason I gave him a chilly response, "No. We just happen to be staying at the same hotel." I had no interest in this guy at all and after that he just turned around and kept talking to his handlers. I did not, however, tell the man how atrocious I found his music. That would have been rude. I think my father was disappointed because he liked Kenny Rogers very much and would have appreciated the autograph. He didn't say anything though. There's a streak of Stewie Griffin in me.

My aunt once invited me to a party in Greenwich, Connecticut. It was at a very nice club and before I went in I thought I'd grab a smoke outside. As I walked around for a bit while I was smoking and decided to peek inside the French doors to see what the party looked like. Everyone looked very nice and the room was quite crowded. I get apprehensive in situations where I have to meet a lot of people because I'm pretty bad with names. All of a sudden I heard a voice from behind a boxwood. "Have you got a light?" I turned around and there was a woman with red hair in a nice very light pink satin gown. She asked for a cigarette too as she couldn't be caught with them. I thought that was a bit odd at her age but then I don't smoke around my mother either. I gave her a cigarette and extended my hand to light it and when I did, I noticed it was the Duchess of York. I couldn't very well say, "Hi Fergie," so I was a bit formal and managed to say, "Oh! Your grace..." She immediately replied, "Oh please don't say that while I'm being naughty!," and I concluded she didn't want anyone to know she was smoking. Turns out she was staying with friends of my aunt and they brought her along to this shindig. I didn't know what to say as all I knew about her was what the tabloids said and THAT was right out so remarked that I thought her wedding dress was better than Diana's and how much I liked the bee pattern in the train. So we talked about the heraldic symbology of the bees (they're in her coat-of-arms) and how much she likes Americans and the US. I liked her. She was very nice, down to earth, and quick to laugh. She's cool in my book.

I've really known (or know) other people like Margaret Truman, Isaac Asimov, Eli Roth, and Richard Kiley.

Others I'm just barely acquainted with usually because I know somebody who knows them and met them once or twice, like Paris Hilton, a few minor Kennedys, Kitty Carlysle Hart, and some other society page sorts, but I don't count them as necessarily famous even if their names do end-up in newspapers on occasion. I'm a poor country mouse so don't think I'm glamorous at all, I just have friends or relations who know most of these and I get asked to these things on occasion.

Thanks dude! He was really friendly actually - even though I made a right fool of meself, haha. He seems even taller, irl - my bro's 6'3" and Clarkson was taller.

I really wanted to meet Vicki Butler-Henderson (ex Top Gear babe) so I could crack a joke about her being 'Rorty Spice', but it wasn't to be. :frown1:

Clarkson has to be friendly. If you think you make a fool of yourself, Clarkson does it nearly every day of his life and in front of millions of people. If he didn't have a good check on his ego he'd be extremely alienating considering what he gets away with saying and doing.

That show is so perfectly casted. I think I'd like to get to know all of them. They seem like a good bunch of guys.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I met the lead singer of She Wants Revenge a couple years ago and got his autograph. I had gone to one of their concerts... five bands, and they were the 4th. About halfway through the fifth band, we decided to leave. We stopped by the gas station on the way back to the car to get some cigarettes and he walked in the door behind me. So I waited till he was done buying whatever he wanted and asked him to autograph my receipt. :tongue: He was nice.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got in Leonard Bernstein's way once backstage after a rehearsal he conducted in Cincinnatti. He was a short man.

I introduced my mom to Roger Williams after a pops concert where he let me play "Rocky Top", claiming he didn't know it. (He was taking requests.)

I played a gig with one of Dolly Parton's sisters, promoting one of her CD's as a singer/pianist lounge act at BMI Studios in Nashville. I got to rehearse in Dolly's Nashville home in Dolly's bedroom with her personal upright piano she grew up with.

I talked with Joshua Bell backstage about our common interest in playing pickup basketball, just a week after seeing him on Johnny Carson.

I ate lunch with Ellis Marsellis and a high school Band director who was running a jazz workshop.

I talked with Dick Smothers backstage about nice places in Knoxville to eat.

I just know I'll think of more..

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
* My mom was a model
*I am good friends with a man that is working on some projects with Tim Burton
*I know Deion Sanders (he lives in my hometown and sometimes hangs out at the park. He tried to talk to my mom once but was turned down) If you watch his show that came on awhile ago, it was in my little 'ol hometown:tongue:
* I was talking to a once myspace rapper (I want mention any names) before he became a hit in remixes and such, I still have all the messages we sent :smile:

* I sat with B2K in their bus once
* Beyonce Knowles signed my notebook (she is also one of my best friend's cousin)
*I went to the same highschool (not in the same grade however) with a now famous NFL player

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I met legendary, jazz flutist, Nestor Torres, and had coffee with him while he was waiting for them to fix the lighting during a practice session. Met BB King on his way to the bathroom during a practice session, he shook my hand and gaveme a kiss on the cheek. When he came back, he gave me one of the pendants of his profile and signature which his people sell in the lobby. He said he liked my smile.:smile:

I met:
  • Gene Anthony Ray at Six Flags Great Adventure back when he was on FAME.
  • Michael Damian at a hotel in which he was staying and in which I worked. His cover of "Rock On" had just come out at the time. I also got an autographed pic for my mom and a tour of his tour bus. :biggrin1:
  • Charlie Daniels and his band, at the same hotel mentioned above. We ate pudding together and talked about our favorite bible verses. :smile:
  • Bob Mc Allister he filmed a few shows in Wall, NJ at the high school. I still have his autograph on a scrap of paper somewhere. :rolleyes:
I guess I lucked out because I worked at the Count Basie Theatre and the only hotel within 20 miles of a Six Flags park in NJ.

-
Morning after they performed at our fair, had breakfast with "Alabama" at, of all places,,,Denny's, lol
Now that is cool!:cool:
[QUOTE]- Met and became friends with Johnny Lee at my job place. A few years later, recognized me at a performance and invited me back stage.
Who is Johnny Lee?:confused:

- was invited to be on the tonight show, but declined[/QUOTE] What would you have done on the tonight show? Ridden your horse backwards onto the stage?:tongue::confused:

I have a small claim to my own fame in that I will be featured in two art exhibitions in the next couple of months... which is fun as I usually just model for students.
Ok fess up, wheres the gallery? In what medium do you work? And why aren't there pics in your gallery of your art? :confused: :irked:

i've met the Prince and Princess of Belgium, shaked hands lol. And then a few other Belgian artists
Do tell, Pieter, are you of royal blood and in line for the throne?:confused::eek: Love the name Queen Fabiola! Reminds one of being FABULOUS; :biggrin1: but why do people keep trying to knock her off. :frown1:

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
UKBBW_Denise: Geoff Capes! <Swoons>

Is that sarcasm I sense? Have you seen him lately?

I used to work in a night club right next to his gym in Spalding, and very often used to see some of the guys from Britain's Strongest Man. Quite an eye-opener - those blokes are man mountains!

Geoff Capes rules! It always used to annoy me if Jean Paul Sigmarsson won instead. :(

Jason_Els - You know Isaac Asimov?! *loves 'I,Robot'*

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is that sarcasm I sense? Have you seen him lately?

I used to work in a night club right next to his gym in Spalding, and very often used to see some of the guys from Britain's Strongest Man. Quite an eye-opener - those blokes are man mountains!

No, no. No sarcasm at all. He was a hunk but there's always been something of the gentle giant about him. I did recently see him pop up on the news. He's gone to seed and is now a giant BHM. Still works for me. No objection to a belly on a bloke here.

Geoff Capes rules! It always used to annoy me if Jean Paul Sigmarsson won instead. :(

Jason_Els - You know Isaac Asimov?! *loves 'I,Robot'*

I did know him. He's passed away. There's a bit in a thread around about it. If you do a search on his name I'm sure you'll find it. He was a warm and gentle man. It was a privilege.