What is your limit?

At what point would you get rid of your car and bike, walk or take mass transit? When

• $3.50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $4.00

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • $5.00

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • $6.00

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • $7.00

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • $8.00

• $9.00

• I wouldn't stop driving, no matter how expensive gas got.

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At what point would you get rid of your car and bike, walk or take mass transit? When gas reaches:

• $3.50 per gallon
  • $4 per gallon
  • $5 per gallon
  • $6 per gallon
  • $7 per gallon
  • $8 per gallon
  • $9 per gallon
This may be irrelevant for people in the UK where mass transit is readily available and gas is already $6 a liter. I don't think I would be exaggerating to guesstimate that 90% of the US does not have any form of mass transit. So I wouldn't be surprised if many people responded they wouldn't stop driving no matter how expensive gasoline becomes.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
When I lived downtown, it was more convenient to take the bus to my night job. The combination of heavy traffic and low wages meant riding made a huge difference in terms of stress on myself, my car and my wallet. And that was even with paying the fare each time I rode, instead of just buying a monthly pass. Pretty much any time I had $30 in my pocket after dealing with bills, I either needed to get gas or groceries. Going to my day job, it wasn't available.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
... In other words, it'd have to be available to me, and at whatever point it becomes significantly more convenient than driving. Right now, a week's worth of round trips (for work) costs me about 5 gallons of gas, or $20. Public transit isn't available on this side of town, but if it were, it'd save me $50 a month with a monthly pass. Given how unreliable the bus system is here, with their timing (or even stopping at the designated stops), it's not really worth it yet.

I have considered saving up for a moped though, but it'd take forever to make back what I paid for it in gas savings.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
FWIW: I live in rural Georgia. There is no mass transit here, we don't even have a taxi service or a shuttle to the airport which is 45 minutes away. From my front door to the nearest store, (which is only a Wal-Mart) is exactly 5.1 miles. I voted I wouldn't stop driving, no matter how expensive gas got. I wouldn't have a choice if only to purchase groceries, I would have to drive. My job is 6.5 miles away and if it weren't for my asthma I might consider riding my bike, but it's awfully hilly between here and there. :frown1:

Funny you mentioned a moped, StapledShut; as I have considered buying a Vespa. :cool:

I'm so proud of myself, :cool: this is my first ever poll; and I didn't botch it up as I thought I would.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Have you been to Britain lately? The roads are absolutely clogged. They have had to impose restrictions on the number of days per week you can bring your car into the City.

Where I live, mass transit is readily available everywhere, the average income is a fraction of that in the USA, and there are tons of cars. Not very many big guzzlers like you have in US mind you. Gasoline is $11 per US gallon.

So I think that most people will drive no matter how much fuel costs. They may cut back, but out of necessity, they won't give it up. Especially since transit is generally so poor in most of the US.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If/when we drill in Alaska, hopefully the locals won't jack up the distribution costs out of spite for the rest of us.
I believe we already tried that in the 1970's. :confused: I don't think they jacked up the price but it was found to be way too expensive to get the oil from Alaska down to the mainland USA. :redface: Can you say boondoggle? I can't believe no one figured that out before they started that project. :angryfire2:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
With the advent of biodiesel though, I think it'd be more conceivable now.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's a shorter flight between Alaska and the nearest point on the contiguous states than the one between Saudi Arabia and its nearest point thereon.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I spent 26 years working in my studio in the backyard. Hardly drove at all compared to most folks...
So I did my part...

Today.. my studio is just 3 miles from my house... WHile I probably could ride a bike to work... its really hilly and the only road is pretty unsafe for cycling...

Besides.... I just got a really fun car... its only 6 miles a day.... its the only real fun I get.... ( excuses excuses)

Funny you mentioned a moped, StapledShut; as I have considered buying a Vespa. :cool:

Great idea...
Women look really cute on a Vespa...

As a middle aged guy... I would just look....sad....

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Much as I'd like to say I have a limit I'm afraid I don't. I'm currently paying between $8 and $9 a gallon anyway - but if that goes up I'll just have to keep paying it. From here there is one bus in to the nearest town a day and one bus back - taxi fares are silly, I could cycle but I wouldn't fancy a 20k round trip with a week's groceries on the home leg. I also can't get the offspring to school anyother how.

I have, however, downsized my car - or rather I'm in the process of doing so - the gas guzzler is a luxury I can no longer afford... unfortunately, it was a nice ride.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
if there were proper mass transit here, I would have switched to it years ago. I love to drive, but think its totally senseless for me to have to waste money, gas, and pollute the environment so I can go rent a movie (which I no longer can afford to do), or go pick up a few things from the store.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Price of gas is subjective too in terms of how much I earn and what it amounts to in terms of an expense and %-age of expenses. I expect my employer to cough up at least that much of an increase in my paycheck, otherwise I'll have to weigh my options that day of finding a job closer or finding a better paying one, perhaps even becoming a business entrepreneur/consultant and working for myself again ? If my job were closer, I'd probably already be cutting down on driving. I think I'd always own a car, that way my options are open as to what I could do and even be able to leave the community if times were really tough. The fewer options you have the more likely employers are to low ball you. If you can't get away from them, they've really got you over a barrel.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i've pretty much stopped driving during the weekdays and i only drive on the weekends :smile: it saves me a lot of money on gas, especially since california has the highest gas prices in the country.

during the weekday i commute to work on the train. the train runs right through the area i work in and it's a five minute walk to my office. a monthly pass only costs $62.00.

if i go anywhere on the weekends i drive... but it's not like i'm spending an ass-load of money filling up my tank anyway :rolleyes:

i fill up once every 2 weeks and a tank costs (average) $60.00. so... $60.00 x 2 trips to the gas station per month = $120.00 total that i spend on gas.

before that i used to fill up every week, so that was $60.00 x 4 trips to the gas station per month = $240.00. i've been saving an extra $120.00 per month just riding the train. go meee! :biggrin1: (the only thing i have to sacrifice is my sanity because of all the crying babies, pregnant teens, oh and did i mention that the train goes through compton?)

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At what point would you get rid of your car and bike, walk or take mass transit? When gas reaches:

• $3.50 per gallon
  • $4 per gallon
  • $5 per gallon
  • $6 per gallon
  • $7 per gallon
  • $8 per gallon
  • $9 per gallon
This may be irrelevant for people in the UK where mass transit is readily available and gas is already $6 a liter. I don't think I would be exaggerating to guesstimate that 90% of the US does not have any form of mass transit. So I wouldn't be surprised if many people responded they wouldn't stop driving no matter how expensive gasoline becomes.
I live in the big city and take subway trains here and there. When things get rough and I need to leave town, I am unconcerned about costs as I have a lifetime pass on Greyhound thanks to my years of working for them.
"Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us!" That's what they say and advise and who am I to turn down a free ride?

I haven't bought me gas-o-leen in years, not since the bike went flying and nearly killed me.

(in other words, I did not have the ability to vote in your poll. I merely came here to gloat about not needing to pay for my rides cross country:smile: or upstate, or down to Georgia or to Maine or any place those sexy Greyhound drivers take their motorcoach-and they go to a lot of places.)

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm very lucky as I have a company car & gas card so it's not costing me a dime to drive.

Even if we had mass transit here I couldn't make use of it due to the type work I do.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
UK prices are around £1.22 per litre, say $2.40. I discovered on this board a while back that the Imperial Gallon is slightly different to the US gallon, but this has to be over $10 a US gallon.Ouch :frown1:

The London Congestion Charge for cars is £8 per day. Additionally a car has to be taxed to take it on the road. We have more taxes than America on new cars, so cars cost more. Motoring is expensive!

We've a far more comprehensive public transport system than almost anywhere in the USA, but still people in the UK find they need their cars. There has been a drop in car use in the last few months, but we still have many roads at capacity. I don't think $10 would persuade most Americans to take public transport as you don't have much of a public system to use. Maybe your policy makers need to start thinking about putting in the infrastructure for a public transport system.