What is your native language?

da_blissmachine: Wow Abhijit is really dedicated to demograping this group... well, my turn!

7x6andchg: As long as it's just one question.... ;D

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I grew up speaking Texan but a couple of years in upstate New York taught me English.

I dislike NY because they talk so fast. I know Texans speak slowly but they'd finish all my sentences for me. Even my 6th grade teacher gave me A's just to keep from having to wait for me to finish a thought.

Like the time we each had to recite the Gettysburg Address from memory:

"...um...Four score and sev...."

"Thank you! Very nice! Next!"

Pecker

(The doctor told me that walking 10 miles a day would improve my sex life. It's not working. Two weeks have gone by and I'm 140 miles from home.)

gigantikok: Spanish was actually my first language...

English has become my dominant, but go figure.

hung: When we get done with all these polls, someone should post a graph site with all the results summed up for easy viewing on one page or at the most a series of pages. So, I speak English, am of German heritage and live in Georgia. I do not think that these facts alone make me a bad person. By the way, I consider myself a very conservative protestant also.

mentatzps: My native language is French, but I do speak English (obviously ;D) , Spanish, Dutch and a little of Walloon.

Who are the two other French-speakers ? :)
Qui sont les deux autres francophones ? :)

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Mentatzps,
Coucou, me voilà !

I don't know what language I spoke first ! My grandmother said my first words were in French, for she was speaking only French to me. "Oiseau". Le premier. "Petit oiseau" came later. I was taught English since 4... and I learned Roumanian in kindergarden, between 4 and 6 y.o... gee, I remember talking to the other kids and wondering why no one replies... :-[

Dantesco: I was raised speaking both English and Italian, so I couldnt vote since you could only enter one choice. My first word was Italian: "latte" according to my mother. French came later. My daily language is English, but I still use Italian frequently.

Solis24: C'est moi qui parle français. Vive le Québec liiiibreu! ;D

(I'm the one speaking french. Long live free Québec!) lol

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I grew up speaking English and Spanish. My grandparents rarely ever deign to speak IndoEuro languages, however; they're quite accomplished in the Siouan and Algic families, though. Grandma taught me Lakota when I was 5, but it's not used much outside ceremony. (There are two other dialects, basically differing by a few predictable cognates.)

7x6andchg: hung -

I think you're right, someone should. It would make for an interesting study. As an added bonus, the computer does all the counting for you.

7x6&C

jackinman: My native language is Spanish. But I speak both English and Spanish.

mentatzps: [quote author=Raal Lexx link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#7 date=09/10/03 at 12:05:58]
Mentatzps,
Coucou, me voilà !

I don't know what language I spoke first ! My grandmother said my first words were in French, for she was speaking only French to me. "Oiseau". Le premier. "Petit oiseau" came later. I was taught English since 4... and I learned Roumanian in kindergarden, between 4 and 6 y.o... gee, I remember talking to the other kids and wondering why no one replies...  :-[  
[/quote]

Lol, don't be sad, I saw your post :)
So you and Dantesco are the two other French. :) It's cool to have learned languages so young; I would have liked to be bilingual or trinlingual when young. I learned Dutch first, in primary school, then English in Secondary school and I learned Spanish for the two last years in university. :p
And about Walloon, I have learned a bit by listening to my grandparents and reading some walloon chronicles. (who cares ??? ::))

Javierdude22: I was raised bi-lingual as well. Dutch and Spanish. Dutch probably came first since 'mamma' would probably have been the first thing I said 8).

In primary school and highschool came the rest.

gigantikok: [quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#15 date=09/11/03 at 02:24:53]I was raised bi-lingual as well. Dutch and Spanish. Dutch probably came first since 'mamma' would probably have been the first thing I said  8).

In primary school and highschool came the rest. [/quote]
The rest? Sheesh, how many languages do you speak, Javierdude??

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#16 date=09/11/03 at 17:33:33]
The rest?  Sheesh, how many languages do you speak, Javierdude??[/quote]

Javier did all that in six days. The seventh day was for rest.

Pecker

(Now, welcome the band that inspired that great saying, Stop the Music!)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#4 date=09/10/03 at 01:46:21]Spanish was actually my first language...

English has become my dominant, but go figure.[/quote]

Okay, Gigz ... You speak English, y tú hablas español, también. Est-ce que tu parles français aussi? I would think that you'd learn French growing up in Zaïre and Côte d'Ivoire. Did you?

Javierdude22: Well, in highschool English and a second language is mandatory for four years, the last two years you can ditch them, depends on what classes you wanna take. So I took German and French. Latin was also mandatory so Italian is not that hard either.

But this is basically what many Dutch and Belgians have for baggage. We're two really small countries surrounded by Britain, Germany and France. Our economic strength depends on us being able to communicate with others and well, the big ones always have it up, so we are the fools to learn ;) and keep it up. But for holidays it's quite handy.