What is your native language?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: Wow Abhijit is really dedicated to demograping this group... well, my turn!

2. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: As long as it's just one question.... ;D

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I grew up speaking Texan but a couple of years in upstate New York taught me English.

I dislike NY because they talk so fast. I know Texans speak slowly but they'd finish all my sentences for me. Even my 6th grade teacher gave me A's just to keep from having to wait for me to finish a thought.

Like the time we each had to recite the Gettysburg Address from memory:

"...um...Four score and sev...."

"Thank you! Very nice! Next!"

Pecker

(The doctor told me that walking 10 miles a day would improve my sex life. It's not working. Two weeks have gone by and I'm 140 miles from home.)

4. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I'm from Cuba ... it's not Serbo-Croatian! :D

5. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: Spanish was actually my first language...

English has become my dominant, but go figure.

6. Imported

Gold Member

hung: When we get done with all these polls, someone should post a graph site with all the results summed up for easy viewing on one page or at the most a series of pages. So, I speak English, am of German heritage and live in Georgia. I do not think that these facts alone make me a bad person. By the way, I consider myself a very conservative protestant also.

7. Imported

Gold Member

mentatzps: My native language is French, but I do speak English (obviously ;D) , Spanish, Dutch and a little of Walloon.

Who are the two other French-speakers ? :)
    Qui sont les deux autres francophones ? :)

8. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Mentatzps,
    Coucou, me voilà !

I don't know what language I spoke first ! My grandmother said my first words were in French, for she was speaking only French to me. "Oiseau". Le premier. "Petit oiseau" came later. I was taught English since 4... and I learned Roumanian in kindergarden, between 4 and 6 y.o... gee, I remember talking to the other kids and wondering why no one replies... :-[

9. Imported

Gold Member

Dantesco: I was raised speaking both English and Italian, so I couldnt vote since you could only enter one choice. My first word was Italian: "latte" according to my mother. French came later. My daily language is English, but I still use Italian frequently.

10. Imported

Gold Member

Solis24: C'est moi qui parle français. Vive le Québec liiiibreu! ;D

(I'm the one speaking french. Long live free Québec!) lol

11. jonb

Gold Member

I grew up speaking English and Spanish. My grandparents rarely ever deign to speak IndoEuro languages, however; they're quite accomplished in the Siouan and Algic families, though. Grandma taught me Lakota when I was 5, but it's not used much outside ceremony. (There are two other dialects, basically differing by a few predictable cognates.)

12. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: hung -

I think you're right, someone should. It would make for an interesting study. As an added bonus, the computer does all the counting for you.

7x6&C

13. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: My native language is Spanish. But I speak both English and Spanish.

14. Imported

Gold Member

mentatzps: [quote author=Raal Lexx link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#7 date=09/10/03 at 12:05:58]
    Mentatzps,
    Coucou, me voilà !

I don't know what language I spoke first ! My grandmother said my first words were in French, for she was speaking only French to me. "Oiseau". Le premier. "Petit oiseau" came later. I was taught English since 4... and I learned Roumanian in kindergarden, between 4 and 6 y.o... gee, I remember talking to the other kids and wondering why no one replies...  :-[  
    [/quote]

Lol, don't be sad, I saw your post :)
    So you and Dantesco are the two other French. :) It's cool to have learned languages so young; I would have liked to be bilingual or trinlingual when young. I learned Dutch first, in primary school, then English in Secondary school and I learned Spanish for the two last years in university. :p
    And about Walloon, I have learned a bit by listening to my grandparents and reading some walloon chronicles. (who cares ??? ::))

15. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

There is Stephaneparis too !

16. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: I was raised bi-lingual as well. Dutch and Spanish. Dutch probably came first since 'mamma' would probably have been the first thing I said 8).

In primary school and highschool came the rest.

17. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: [quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#15 date=09/11/03 at 02:24:53]I was raised bi-lingual as well. Dutch and Spanish. Dutch probably came first since 'mamma' would probably have been the first thing I said  8).

In primary school and highschool came the rest. [/quote]
    The rest? Sheesh, how many languages do you speak, Javierdude??

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#16 date=09/11/03 at 17:33:33]
    The rest?  Sheesh, how many languages do you speak, Javierdude??[/quote]

Javier did all that in six days. The seventh day was for rest.

Pecker

(Now, welcome the band that inspired that great saying, Stop the Music!)

19. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1063144626;start=0#4 date=09/10/03 at 01:46:21]Spanish was actually my first language...

English has become my dominant, but go figure.[/quote]

Okay, Gigz ... You speak English, y tú hablas español, también. Est-ce que tu parles français aussi? I would think that you'd learn French growing up in Zaïre and Côte d'Ivoire. Did you?

20. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: Well, in highschool English and a second language is mandatory for four years, the last two years you can ditch them, depends on what classes you wanna take. So I took German and French. Latin was also mandatory so Italian is not that hard either.

But this is basically what many Dutch and Belgians have for baggage. We're two really small countries surrounded by Britain, Germany and France. Our economic strength depends on us being able to communicate with others and well, the big ones always have it up, so we are the fools to learn ;) and keep it up. But for holidays it's quite handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted