What is your perception of the current pope?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Axcess, Dec 26, 2009.

?

The current pope

1. I believe he is a good man

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I believe he is evil

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. I don't know for sure

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Axcess

Gold Member

Maybe I'm wrong but the current pope doesn't look like a honest christian .

2. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree. Wasn't he previously the head of the iron fisted "enforcement" arm of the church? That alone turned me off. A far cry from the previous one in my opinion. (I should disclose I'm not Catholic.)

3. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Are you for real ? While I grant you that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith isn't a particularly wholesome or edifying body it's not busting people's doors in and machine gunning them down, it used to be the Inquisition, but they can't burn you for heresy anymore you know. I think Benedict XVI is one of the most unpleasant men alive, but he's no more disgusting than any previous incumbent of the throne of Saint Peter, or any other religious leader for that matter. He seems pretty typically Christian to me.

#3 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  4. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Sieg Heil Mein Fuhrer Ratzinger!

Seriously the current Pope was a member of the Hitler youth organization in Nazi Germany when he was young. Sure I have heard that he "had to join" and all of that BS. Not sure I believe it and also not sure if his views could have really changed much since his Hitler youth days either. Many former Nazis claim they never really believed in Hitler and and the Reich and only did what they did during the war because they "had to."

My great uncle in law was a German U boat sailor during WWII and and although he has been very successful in business since the war and is a very well respected member of the community in the German city where he lives...yet just beneath the facade that he has effectively hidden behind since the fall of the Third Reich is an unrepentant Nazi!

#4 B_jeepguy2, Dec 26, 2009
  5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    He was considered a progressive in his earlier years as a priest (was a proponent of Vatican II) but became more conservative over the years. I don't think he'll do a thing to fundamentally change church doctrine. He's been praised for addressing issues such as sexual abuse by priests but I think the outreach is all lip service to keep people happy while he works to hold traditional church doctrine firmly in place. Things will continue in the Vatican as always.

6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Papa Ratzy? :p

Not sure - I think he's quite calculating and clever, but he's probably also pretty sincere. I think he's doing what he believes to be right, it's just Catholicism in general I have a problem with, for many reasons.

I'm not delighted by his recent moves towards luring loads of Anglicans to Rome, but it's in-line with their (false, imo) view that they are the 'One True Church'. :/

7. ubered

ubered New Member

This is a religious leader with serious clout that says people must not use contraception despite HIV/AIDS. Putting countless lives at risk during an epidemic just so as not to have shift the church's view on procreation-based sex?

Evil, beyond a shadow of a doubt. :firedevil:

8. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Maybe he thinks that by discouraging condom use HIV/AIDS will finally accomplish what Hitler and the Nazis couldn't...ridding the world of "untermenschen." Many people of European descent (Aryans) carry the Delta 32 mutation that makes them effectively immune to HIV/AIDS.

Non-Europeans (non Aryans) do not carry this genetic mutation and this is the reason HIV/AIDS is so much more widespread in Africa, and Asia, and in minority populations here in the USA.

#8 B_jeepguy2, Dec 26, 2009
  9. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo

This succinctly and accurately describes my perception of Pope Palpatine

HH

10. MARCOPOLO4

MARCOPOLO4 New Member

he reminds me of a nazi war criminal

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend to think of Tony Blair more as the evil Senator Palpatine. I dread the day he ever becomes EU Emperor, sorry, President... :wink:

12. D_Portelay Porquesword

He does not settle well with me for some reason. Can't put my finger on it, yet.

13. ryan25yo

Gold Member

Albums:
    "luring"??? It was a response to at least four documented requests from various Anglican groups! People, before you comment, do please read the pertinent documents!

14. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    isn't "honest christian" an oxymoron anyway?

or do i just think that because of sarah palin?

15. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Well luckily for you that's never ever going to happen :biggrin1:

16. Astrate

Astrate New Member

Ooh, too close to call.

As head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, Ratzinger promoted the idea that condom use helped to spread AIDS by misrepresenting science in order to protect his dogma agains the use of contraception. This was rather like Blair's misrepresentation of the evidence for WDM, which he used in order to smuggle through his personal doctrine of exporting liberal democracy by force.

Ratzinger and his crowd pushed Catholic educators, -clergy and nuns, to teach that latex is porous to the HIV virus. This was the result of the Vatican's prejudiced misinterpretation of a scientific study. In fact, they went further, -by teaching that condoms actually spread AIDS as the virus is inherent in the latex. (This is nonsense as for a start the HIV virus is unable to survive outside the body). In eagerness to comply with this doctine, one African bishop went as far as proclaiming that the disastrous spread of AIDS in Africa was all due to the use of condoms..

I shudder to think how many extra people became chronically ill, with their families falling into destitution, and how many extra people died because of this doctrine. Iraq might pale into insignificance.

17. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    we hear reports you brits r not feeling much luv for Mr. Brown either

18. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I'm convinced, had he his way, Benedict XVI would return Europe to pre WWI Germany (1930s).

In his heart of hearts I sense a fascist of the most despicable variety.

Didn't someone tackle him in Piazza San Pietro during midnight mass (held at ten o'clock because it's past his bedtime?) :rolleyes: Yup someone sure did!

AND THAT CARBABINIERI ARRESTED THE WOMAN?! (I'd have nominated the woman who tackled him for the Nobel Peace Prize)

LOL! I'm betting he had his Aryan hand up as one of the first to enlist.

#18 B_Stronzo, Dec 26, 2009
  19. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

This is a fascinating topic and may well be the reason I never contracted it given my promiscuity.

I think it would be an interesting debate were someone to begin a thread on this topic. jeepguy? Did you see the PBS special on the town in England where (according to some theories) an immunity was developed to HIV/AIDS during the Black Death (bubonic plague) of the fourteenth century?

There's also the man in San Francisco who's allowed himself to be INTENTIONALLY infected by the virus over fifteen times and never contracted it.

Again this would make a fascinating separate topic.

#19 B_Stronzo, Dec 26, 2009
  20. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

This one comes off as rather self-serving and a bit of an a-hole. The term 'Holy Father' implies a stereotype that Benedict XVI does not seem to embody. In other words-His Holiness does not give me the warm and fuzzies :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted