What is your relationship with yourself like?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How do you see yourself? Do you like yourself? Hate yourself? Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully?

Do you get along pretty well with yourself?

JP0724

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a very complicated relationship with myself. It's a love hate thing I have going on.. I have my good days and bad days.. Ultimately I am stuck with me so I am just trying to make the best of it.

I am pretty hard on myself sometimes, but I like to think I am just a work in progress.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I like your thoughts, earllogjam.

I see myself as being one of the best people on Earth. I wish there were more people like me around, but then we'd all be pretty bored sooner or later. Diversity keeps us in check. I've been known to be really hard on myself, but not so much lately. I got tired of grindin' so I'm just sitting still for a minute. I treated myself rather well this past week. The two weeks before, I forgot all about me. So, I had to make up my 'me time.' Overall, I really like me. I listen to me when I have something to say. I always play me a song first thing in the morning and I check my caller ID so I don't end up talking to someone that I don't care to:smile: and a couple of other things that make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I only hate myself when I go against my word. I guess I'm cool with myself. I love me. I only get on my nerves when I'm tired and I still try to get things done. They always end up being half ass because I'm draggin'. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I would never trade places with anyone (at least not without some inside information first). Until I get remodeled into the 'New & Improved' me, I'll stick with what I've got. Me, myself, & I.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How do you see yourself? Do you like yourself? Hate yourself? Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully?

I like my personality but am hard on myself when it comes to my looks. I'm also hard on myself when it comes to job skills (or lack thereof...), although actually I DO have skills - it's just hard to find anything that utilizes the combination of skills and the level of skill I have (the jobs usually require either a higher skill level in stuff I do know, or have at least ONE requirement that I lack completely.)

It's funny that I like my personality despite having the problems with people when I was growing up. It's always been my contention that they were narrow minded bigots though (and yes, they pretty much are). However, when I am in an area where the people are not narrow minded bigots, I generally get along with people pretty well, although I am still extremely shy. I'm not particularly crazy about the shyness (it has caused me a lot of problems), but the rest of my personality I'm fine with.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The problem with being self employed is that the boss is such an asshole.

There are things about myself I like very much... am very satisfied with... there are other things about myself that I strive to change for the better with mixed results.

And there are things about myself that I have not been able to budge and must simply accept.

Oddly... some of the things about myself that I really don't like are the genesis of the things I do like.

For example... There is almost no human being I have met that I actually dislike or hate.
May be hard to believe , given my posts, but I am actually very accommodating of other people's failings...
But I am that way towards others because I have a full understanding of just how much of MY failing they are having to put up with.

I think a healthy sense of self must include an honest assessment of faults.

The unexamined life is not worth living.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How do you see yourself?

In the mirror.

Do you like yourself? Hate yourself?

I've grown pretty fond of me. There are definite areas for improvement, but overall I like me.

Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully?

I used to be mean to me but then I saw what happened to that kind of person as they get older and decided it was better for everyone involved if I just took it easy on myself. Now I'm pretty forgiving and supportive. I try to treat me like I'd treat anyone else.

Yeah, I'd say so. It's a lot of work, but so is any long-term relationship.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Depends on a lot of things... At the moment I'm quite happy with who I am. But few weeks ago I hated myself for who I was and why I was disturbing people with how I felt and let them feel uncomfterable because I'm way too attached too them. I really don't like that part of me, don't want to loose friends because I act that way...

Fire Stick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Bookshops are filled with rows and rows of pop-psychology and self-help books on the subject of maintaining a mentally healthy relationship with one’s self. I am sure this subject is also commonly a primary focus of people receiving professional counseling. Obviously, it’s an important question for many and one frequently without an easy or comfortable answer. As varied and complex as humans are, there is no doubt that their relationships with themselves are also highly varied and often complex.

I believe, in a sense, each of us is really the only one “there” in the realm of our own minds and inner-worlds of what we know, think, and feel. In a way, this is the ultimate loneliness. In another way, though, this realization provides an opportunity for unfettered introspection and self-awareness, which can be channeled as a positive force in one’s life. In respect to myself, I try to see myself clearly; give myself credit when I deserve it; show myself compassion where its due; and give myself a kick in the butt, as needed.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like your thoughts, earllogjam.

I see myself as being one of the best people on Earth.

Thanks 8060, what's the criteria for being one of the best people on Earth?:smile:

I love myself. I am awesome. Maddox has nothing on me.

Hazel, who's Maddox?

The unexamined life is not worth living.

Can a rich inner life take the place of a shitty outer life?

I'm a lovable person.....even to myself...:wink:

Thought:
If you can't love youself, how can you expect others to love you?

Cliche but true it seems.

Bookshops are filled with rows and rows of pop-psychology and self-help books on the subject of maintaining a mentally healthy relationship with one’s self. I am sure this subject is also commonly a primary focus of people receiving professional counseling. Obviously, it’s an important question for many and one frequently without an easy or comfortable answer. As varied and complex as humans are, there is no doubt that their relationships with themselves are also highly varied and often complex.

Yup, I hesitated posting this thread fearing it would bring out all the armchair psychologists telling what we should think of ourselves but it has pleasantly turned into an insightful thread on what goes on in other people's heads about themselves. Something we rarely get to see.

One thing about introspection that I've discovered helpful is that I recognize obnoxious behaviors and base weaknesses in other people that I have recognized in myself. I'm much more compassionate and understanding now towards others than I used to be.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hazel, who's Maddox?
Best page in the Universe
Check out the art critique pages...

Can a rich inner life take the place of a shitty outer life?

Solshenitzin would say no, but it can make a shitty outer life survivable.

In my life, its made my outer life less shitty.
Self examination, not in the self help sense, but in the honest appraisal sense, is the one activity that seems to work at suppressing the less attractive aspects of my personality, taking myself less seriously... not thinking that I am better than others....

Inner examination gives me a more accurate and compassionate perspective on the outer world.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by earllogjam:
"How do you see yourself? Do you like yourself? Hate yourself? Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully?

Do you get along pretty well with yourself?"

I do not nor never have seen myself as others see me. For my entire life people have seen me as an arrogant, priviledged, threatening, intimidating prick that was a useless party boy socialite. But this perception was by people who don't know me. I see myself as a remarkably common sense, compassionate, kind, humorous person.
Having separated the perceived me from the actual me, i am learning to like myself.growing up, it seemed bred into me that liking myself was not acceptable because i could always do better. so when nothing about myself is ever good enough, i hated myself. i have distanced myself from my family and the environs from which that negative energy arose.
since the difficult period last year when i called my wedding off i treated myself as badly as i possibly could thinking somehow it was failure on my part. only through the honesty and support of very close friends did i realize this was not the case and realized it was ok to quit being self destructive. i can't thank them enough.
i get along with myself pretty well now. i always try to keep a healthy perspective and not take myself too seriously.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks 8060, what's the criteria for being one of the best people on Earth?:smile:
Well, earllogjam, I think you can't be judgmental of everyone else. Humbleness has opened a lot of doors for me and allowed some great people in my life. You have to have a keen sense of empathy with strangers most importantly. Treating others like you would like be treated, even after they've mistreated you. It's always being the bigger person, figuratively, of course. Having and using common sense and being receptive to change of the things around you. Knowing how to listen is part of the criteria too. You know how most people just wait for their turn to talk instead of paying attention what you said? Summing up, having wit, charm, an outgoing personality, a sense of humor, and hot body is all on the list:biggrin1::tongue::cool:

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know first. Peace:smile:

Ooh, and have a natural talent. I have yet to figure out what mine is but like I said, I'll let you know first, haha.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I generally like myself but have found that I'm more happy when I'm involved with others in relationships. What I'm saying is that I don't see myself as a separate being who has feelings about myself outside of others. Most of my positive feelings about myself have come about because others have helped define me and have helped me understand myself. I can't imagine being completely alone and not having others mirror me and me them.