What is your relationship with yourself like?

How do you see yourself? Do you like yourself? Hate yourself? Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully? Do you get along pretty well with yourself?

I like myself and treat myself far less harshly than I used to. There are still times, and moreso particular situations, that I'm very hard on myself but those are lessening as I explore more places I wouldn't or couldn't before.

Depends on a lot of things... At the moment I'm quite happy with who I am. But few weeks ago I hated myself for who I was and why I was disturbing people with how I felt and let them feel uncomfterable because I'm way too attached too them. I really don't like that part of me, don't want to loose friends because I act that way...

My issue as well. I found this was a problem but didn't know why for the longest time. Then I realized I was placing all my self-esteem in the opinions of others. If I displeased them, then I was a shithead loser. If I made them happy, then I was fine. The worst was when my friends weren't around. When that happened I just descended into loneliness thinking about all the good times they were having without me or why the phone wasn't ringing.

I believe, in a sense, each of us is really the only one “there” in the realm of our own minds and inner-worlds of what we know, think, and feel. In a way, this is the ultimate loneliness. In another way, though, this realization provides an opportunity for unfettered introspection and self-awareness, which can be channeled as a positive force in one’s life. In respect to myself, I try to see myself clearly; give myself credit when I deserve it; show myself compassion where its due; and give myself a kick in the butt, as needed.

Existential angst is such a pain in the ass because we never really know where to turn as we're apt not to believe in anything lest it prove just as futile as God. The only thing I believe transcends that, "ultimate loneliness," is love.

One thing about introspection that I've discovered helpful is that I recognize obnoxious behaviors and base weaknesses in other people that I have recognized in myself. I'm much more compassionate and understanding now towards others than I used to be.

That's grace and it's a good quality to have. I don't always have it, being someone who, doesn't suffer fools easily. It gets easier the more I try to empathize because the more I examine my weaknesses, the easier they are to counteract, and the easier I see those weaknesses, the more easily I see them in others. If those weaknesses cause even half the problems in others that I've had, then what else can I do but give pardon? Doing so not only helps others but me as well because it means I can be easier on myself.

Having separated the perceived me from the actual me, i am learning to like myself.growing up, it seemed bred into me that liking myself was not acceptable because i could always do better. so when nothing about myself is ever good enough, i hated myself. i have distanced myself from my family and the environs from which that negative energy arose.
since the difficult period last year when i called my wedding off i treated myself as badly as i possibly could thinking somehow it was failure on my part. only through the honesty and support of very close friends did i realize this was not the case and realized it was ok to quit being self destructive. i can't thank them enough.
i get along with myself pretty well now. i always try to keep a healthy perspective and not take myself too seriously.

I see a great deal of that in myself. It was either succeed 110% at everything or I'm a complete failure. I'd constantly hear, "...you're so smart, this should be easy for you," and, "If only you'd apply yourself!," "You're just lazy. You could do this without thinking about it!" The list of high expectations combined with expressions of disappointment were endless and they continue from some people in my life even now. Lately they're even more disappointed with me for disregarding their admonitions entirely but as a fortune cookie I opened a week ago says, "Which is more important? Your goals or others' opinions of your goals?" It's terrifying rejecting the expectations of others and particularly family because I always fear I'll lose their love. As I see it though, if I have their love without their respect then is it really the kind of love I want?

I think I make a terrific friend.

I've heard that's the case :wink:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
My issue as well. I found this was a problem but didn't know why for the longest time. Then I realized I was placing all my self-esteem in the opinions of others. If I displeased them, then I was a shithead loser. If I made them happy, then I was fine. The worst was when my friends weren't around. When that happened I just descended into loneliness thinking about all the good times they were having without me or why the phone wasn't ringing.

Yeah, that is right, I am happy when they are happy, but worried when I don't hear a thing of them, afraid that I said a bad thing and they avoide me for that. I still have that. But I try to work on it because in that way, my friends would probably like me more... I just can't help that I wanna be there for them.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
How do you see yourself?

Spontaneous, detached, private, playful, honest, creative, emotionally rich, independent.

Do you like yourself? Hate yourself? Been treating yourself nicely? Harshly? Respectfully? Disrespectfully?

Essentially I recognize that I have constructed my own ego and therefore am responsible for the parts I do not like or wish to change. I try to keep myself as free as possible from ego-distorted cognitive and affective perception.

Do you get along pretty well with yourself?

Abso-frickin-lutely.

cyberczar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Myself and I are stuck with eachother.

We've never tried separation, out of fear it would be too painful and difficult.

Now-a-days we're contempt with what each of us offers to the other in return.

A true physical, emotional, spirtual, and psychological union.

Together we are one, divided we are none.

Jl2017

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm content with myself. I know I'm not perfect, but I've accepted the things I can't change and am working on changing the things I can't accept (I started working out, and eating better).

We've all got parts we'd like to change or upgrade, I mean hey that's human. Not wanting to improve yourself is evolutionary suicide.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How do you see yourself?
How I describe myself elsewhere:
Strange yet normal. Adventurous yet duty bound.
Wild yet self-conscious. A trusting skeptic.

I would add: generally flawed, friendly, flirty, independent, loving, doting, supportive, with a sense of right, a modicum of self-righteousness, and a fondness for all that is imperfect.

Do you like yourself?
When I do the right thing.

Hate yourself?
When I do the wrong thing.

Been treating yourself nicely?
Actually, I will work on this starting today.
Take some extra "me time" over the weekend.

Harshly?
No.
Although I am self-critical.

Respectfully?
Definitely.

Disrespectfully?
No.

Yes, I am proud of myself. I persevere.
While I do have a few things I'd like to tweak and improve, I love and honor me.

^jeez, this thread brought out the narcissist in me, lol. :biggrin1:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How do you see yourself?
As a jigsaw with a missing piece.

Do you like yourself?
I like most of myself

Hate yourself?
I hate parts of myself...my psychological self.

Been treating yourself nicely?
Yeah, I treat myself quite often.

Harshly?
Not really.

Respectfully?
Yeah

Disrespectfully?
No.

Yes. It's other people I don't get along with! Or do they not get along with me...hmm.

Cosota

Experimental Member
Media
Just as Sweet_Ass, I am a bundle of contradictions.

Today, I love who I am and thank life for being so kind and generous. Tomorrow could be a different story.

D_eeglefleegle

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We are always most critical of ourselves. Ahh, I would change so much about me, but at the same time there are such great things that I am blessed to have and to be. It's not a love/hate with me, it's more of a love/frustrated lol. Honestly I have to give props to my family and friends. You're a reflection of the company you keep, and I'm surrounded by wonderful, loving and amazing people. I like myself. I'm smart, sweet, funny, silly, loving, giving, and sexy. Other times I can be lazy, moody, sarcastic, insecure, and pessimistic. We all have our moments and flaws, but that's what makes us unique. :)