What is your take of the simpsons( season 1-10 atleast)

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What is your guys take of the show ? , atleast the first 10 seasons. After that the show is going downhill.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Going downhill, aka "Jumping the Shark". Named after when Fonzie did something like jumped over a tank of sharks on his motorcycle....it refers to that moment when a show has thrown out any regard for decent storylines, refers to tried and true cliches that other shows have resorted to (going to Hollywood, having a baby, replacing a cast member, etc etc etc).....

It took a while, but for me the Simpsons just started to rely too much on pop culture references. It's still brilliant compared to many other shows....but I've just lost interest years ago.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Simpsons was very fresh and original and funny in the early 90s. After that I lost interest. I thought the movie was, much like the shows lately, more boring than funny. Though I'd still watch The Simpsons over almost anything else on television right now, excepting South Park, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Office, sometimes The Sarah Silverman program, sometimes Curb Your Enthusiasm, and most things on the History Channel.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is your guys take of the show ? , atleast the first 10 seasons. After that the show is going downhill.
This was not conducted as a poll so I refuse to answer it- until much later, which may be similar to your ideas of time (or it may not be- time will tell).

What was your take on the first two seasons of Family Guy and were you offended by the one where they made mocking reference of the Simpsons by mentioning the Tracy Ullman Show?

Additionally, what was your take of the Budweiser commercials when they brought the frog out for the umpteenth time? Did it make you switch to another brand or did it just cause your socks to lose their elasticity?

Please place these and other important questions in polka form (now if that's not dotty I don't know what is).

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As the past seasons of The Simpsons came out in sets on DVD, one had the chance to gain perspective on the show. You can see the first signs of decline already in the fifth season: that is when the characters begin to remark on the implausibility of the plots. That is not to say that the episodes are not still, on the whole, very good; just that the writing is showing strain. The writers find less and less that they can do to explore the interesting characters, so episodes start turning on the arrival of new characters voiced by celebrities and unlikely events. I think it is in the eighth season that the rot becomes really pronounced. That's when you have crap like Principal Skinner being exposed as an impostor by the "real" Seymour Skinner (voiced by Martin Sheen, I think it was), who at the end of the episode is banished from Springfield under the ruling that no one may mention what has happened ever again. By that point, you stil have some good episodes, but standards are a lot lower. I gave up watching new episodes a few years ago, but I recently saw some episodes from season 18, and I was surprised to find that they were not much weaker than the episodes of a few years earlier. But I do think that it's a pity that the series did not end when it was stil strong.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
As a resident Euro Snob :rolleyes:, I think that the Simpsons is genius. Whether it is losing its punch, I don't know, but I think Matt Groenning (is that his name?) can take some credit for revitalising a genre that has given us Family Guy, South Park, Team America and of course Futurama.

More cheese Gromit?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
As a resident Euro Snob :rolleyes:, I think that the Simpsons is genius. Whether it is losing its punch, I don't know, but I think Matt Groenning (is that his name?) can take some credit for revitalising a genre that has given us Family Guy, South Park, Team America and of course Futurama.

More cheese Gromit?

Yeah - can you, me, maybe dong20 and a few others get 'Member' under our usernames changed to EuroSnob? - I think that might be helpful :rolleyes:

Futurama kicks the Simpsons' ass. 'Early Simpsons' was great but I have seen them all so many times that I can't help but be bored by them too - the new ones I haven't bothered with.

Talking of biting, sharp, dark animation (which we weren't, but I am now) whatever happened to Monkey Dust. That was evilly good. Did Monkey Dust ever hit the US? - Makes Trey and Matt look like a pair of establishment arse lickers.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Meh, I don't watch much of The Simpsons but as NIC pointed out - it's still worth watching over most other shows at any given time. The older seasons have animation that I genuinely can't withstand, the newer seasons seem to consist mostly of "homer fall down" jokes. I can still get a good laugh from some episodes, but it's much rarer than it used to be.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Simpsons was great in the beginning, and for the last 10 yrs after that good, but now it seems like they're running out of steam as it were.
Oh, and for those of the Happy days set,The Fonz jumped over the tank of sharks on water skies not his motorcycle. He jumped over I forget how many garbage cans @ Arnolds.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All the simpsons are good, as time goes on, the newer ones will seem funnier too. there is always just too much to miss the first couple of views. A few years ago, most people were saying everything after season 7 sucked.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah yes - noramlly I'd be aware that today is Saturday and not Friday :confused: but it's that time of the month :rolleyes: and I am therefore rendered a bit fick. :redface: :biggrin1:
Oh, stop it there, MB. I've never seen you up close in person, but somehow the passage of a certain point of time in a month doesn't sound like it'd slow you down anymore or less.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ahh, yes, Fonzie on waterskis instead of a motorcycle. I'm such a Schlameil. :rolleyes:

Matt Groening's comic strip LIFE IN HELL which predated The Simpsons by over a decade was just sidesplitting. I remember picking up L.A. Weekly (or was it the L.A. Reader?) every Thursday and going to that first. AND making enlarged Xerox copies of it to post on the lunchroom bulletin board, so they could go completely unappreciated by 90% of the office, if they didn't become outright hostile. :biggrin1: