What is your take of the simpsons( season 1-10 atleast)

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
It's impossible for the Simpsons to be as good as it once was. The entire universe is completely static. Nobody ages, nobody dies (except when actors want off the show hah), what happens in one episode doesn't carry over into others. You can only do so much with that! It's the eternal pitfall of all cartoons, really.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yeah, I've had it with The Simpsons and their totally unbelievable plots.

You know, like the one where the mayor moves his mistress into the mayoral mansion. Like the one where the deserter manages to win an election over a decorated war hero just by calling him a wimp loudly on TV. The one where a prominent citizen shoots his lawyer, and the lawyer says he's sorry for getting in the way ofthe great man's gun. The one where the businesswoman is so shrewish that she claims that "only little people pay taxes" and then leaves her estate to her dog. The one where the preacher pickets funerals of straight people because god hates homosexuals--I mean, how screwy is that?

I prefer really creative comedy. There's plenty of that elsewhere on FOX. Mainly at news-time.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I still like the show. Most of the times it is more cute than funny. I like Family Guy better, that show makes me laugh out loud once in a while.

The sitcom is dead so there is very little of anything decent to watch on TV.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Simpsons was very fresh and original and funny in the early 90s. After that I lost interest. I thought the movie was, much like the shows lately, more boring than funny. Though I'd still watch The Simpsons over almost anything else on television right now, excepting South Park, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Office, sometimes The Sarah Silverman program, sometimes Curb Your Enthusiasm, and most things on the History Channel.
I agree with this post except I'd replace the siarah silverman program with arrested development. i think despite the show's digression into shitty family guy style humor of late, it ranks right up with (and probably surpasses) seinfeld as the most influential show for american sitcoms.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I still like the show. Most of the times it is more cute than funny. I like Family Guy better, that show makes me laugh out loud once in a while.

family guy is pretty worthless.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree with this post except I'd replace the siarah silverman program with arrested development. i think despite the show's digression into shitty family guy style humor of late, it ranks right up with (and probably surpasses) seinfeld as the most influential show for american sitcoms.

What do you mean "of late?" Is it still on the air? I love "Arrested Development" but didn't list it because I thought it was canceled. (and has been at least twice now, right?)

I'd also rank it (just barely) above Seinfeld in terms of comedic value, though I don't see how you can call it more influential.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There are some shows (albeit a few) that can actually re-invent themselves... The best example that comes to mind was 'The Practice'- I think the writer/creator took it as far as he could, then fired most of the cast (salary disputes?) and hired James Spader and someone wound up with another cracker-jack show...

Another show that is actually growing steadily is NCIS (rare for a show in its...4th? season? to be gaining viewers..

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's impossible for the Simpsons to be as good as it once was. The entire universe is completely static. Nobody ages, nobody dies (except when actors want off the show hah), what happens in one episode doesn't carry over into others. You can only do so much with that! It's the eternal pitfall of all cartoons, really.

Not all cartoons. Gargoyles had really solid development from episode to episode and season to season, especially for a show on the Disney Afternoon. Even South Park, which is mostly episodic, has Mr. Garrison who has gone through a lot of character development over the span of the series.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As a resident Euro Snob :rolleyes:, I think that the Simpsons is genius. Whether it is losing its punch, I don't know, but I think Matt Groenning (is that his name?) can take some credit for revitalising a genre that has given us Family Guy, South Park, Team America and of course Futurama.

More cheese Gromit?

futurama is the greatest show ever

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Except:

Clancy Bouvier
Gladys Bouvier
Maude Flanders
Dr. Nick Riviera
Bleeding Gums Murphy
Frank Grimes
Waylon Smithers (Senior)
Sheldon Skinner
Amber the Prostitute
Frank Ormand
Snowball I, II, III & IV
Pinchy the Lobster

:tongue:

PINCHY!!! oh, i was so hurt when he died. i thought it was quite appropriate for Homer to each Pinchy piece by piece with butter. Homer was hungry with grief. lol.

even though Family Guy caters to the lowest denominator, i do love it. it's more superficially funny.

and i'll admit, the Simpsons have gone down in quality, i still love to watch it. i can't imagine seeing it end.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What do you mean "of late?" Is it still on the air? I love "Arrested Development" but didn't list it because I thought it was canceled. (and has been at least twice now, right?)

I'd also rank it (just barely) above Seinfeld in terms of comedic value, though I don't see how you can call it more influential.

It is still canceled :mad: You can catch episodes on "G4" still. (They bought the rights to the reruns).

I still watch the Simpsons but its really not that great. My favorite (active) TV shows happen to be Heroes and The Office.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
futurama is the greatest show ever

I know! :tongue: i still can't understand why it never did well. i always enjoyed their vision of the furture. Plus, Futurama provided me with a totally surprising sad ending where Fry's dog continually waited for him by the pizza place until he died. damn, that really caught me off guard.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

by "of late" i mean the current episodes stretching back for the last few years.
yeah arrested development is no longer in production, but i think g4 shows reruns still.

i think the simpsons may be more influential because i believe the number or references, sight gags, selfaware observations about plotlines, etc. that are currently a staple of most quality shows originated with the simpsons.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It is still canceled :mad: You can catch episodes on "G4" still. (They bought the rights to the reruns).

I still watch the Simpsons but its really not that great. My favorite (active) TV shows happen to be Heroes and The Office.

I know it's in syndication on G4. But I don't consider shows in syndication to be shows that are on "right now."

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
by "of late" i mean the current episodes stretching back for the last few years.
yeah arrested development is no longer in production, but i think g4 shows reruns still.

i think the simpsons may be more influential because i believe the number or references, sight gags, selfaware observations about plotlines, etc. that are currently a staple of most quality shows originated with the simpsons.

Okay I thought you were talking about Arrested Development being more influential than Seinfeld. Which is insane.

The Simpsons I agree is a more influential show than Seinfeld.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know! :tongue: i still can't understand why it never did well. i always enjoyed their vision of the furture. Plus, Futurama provided me with a totally surprising sad ending where Fry's dog continually waited for him by the pizza place until he died. damn, that really caught me off guard.

YouTube - Futurama - "I Will Wait For You"

that and luck of the fryish really show the power of well done writing to make you feel for cartoon characters.

they have been given a contract for two new seasons and have a new movies coming out called "bender's big score". so that is reason to cheer.