Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
D

deleted924715

Very very well articulated, I don't think there is anything I could add to that. Unfortunately the first comment in the article (on that site) is why I'll have to stay out of this thread - I'll burst a blood vessel

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I read a similar article somewhere else a year or so ago. I remembered it specifically because it was the first time I heard the phrase
'Tend and Befriend'. Rather than having a 'fight or flight' instinct they discussed how women are more likely to try to deescalate a situation or avoid any kind of confrontation to begin with.

I need to start making an effort to remember where I read things. Then I can look it up again and share :)

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was younger than is mentioned in the article the first time a car stopped for me and the driver offered me money for sex. I was wearing a fairly roomy skirt suit. Meanwhile, several years later I had a boyfriend who every time he saw a provocatively dressed woman would mutter under his breath, "How much do YOU cost?" He never did understand why I took him to task for it.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
More interesting than the article, were the comments. Good reading.

I don't live in fear, but I can certainly relate to the article. Walking with my keys between my fingers, trying not to be alone at night (even running to the corner store for snacks), swallowing comments through gritted teeth because I don't want some guy to get angry and hurt me, etc. Protecting myself has become so embedded in my brain, that it has become an unconscious defence.

I've been physically hurt by men, sexually assaulted and demeaned. It's taught me to be cautious, and to be always be on low alert unconsciously - just in case. Most of the time I don't even think about it, but those protective practices are ready at all times.

It's bullshit that it's the way a woman dresses that invites danger. Having fun at a club shouldn't mean that a woman is available for unwanted groping - when I used to go out, there was always 'girl rules'. Someone to be sober, never leaving drinks unattended, making sure everyone got home. I've even been warned about certain club patrons by random women in the bathroom.

Wanting to dress "hot" isn't a crime. Wanting men to notice you isn't wrong - it's natural. But it doesn't mean a woman wants to be cat-called or followed or backed into a corner. Lots at men are capable of showing appreciation with being threatening. It's just the dangerous (at worst) and rude (at best) few that give so many men a bad name.

Having raised a couple of men, I tried to teach them respect for women. I think they're pretty cool guys. Popular, smart and men who make good choices. I think it's like that meme - we shouldn't have to teach our girls how not to get raped, but teach our boys not to be rapists.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
yes, that first comment is the stereotypical bullshittery you hear when this subject gets mentioned.

I'd be quite pleased to have a little face to face with that moron who left that ridiculous comment. I bet he'd wet himself before our chat was through.

Reactions: fluffychocolate

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I know so many more respectful men than disrespectful ones. But the disrespectful ones are what makes you think about your safety constantly.

I was taken to a remote area by a family member (someone you'd think wouldn't hurt you) under the guise of "let's have a chat" and put in a situation where I had to do what I was told because I knew deep down inside he could overpower me and no one could hear me scream if I tried. My biggest fear was enraging him and having to endure what he might do at that point.

Now I know even family can't be trusted. I can't go back and change that decision I made to be alone with that person. But you better bet I won't be giving someone that opportunity again.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I know so many more respectful men than disrespectful ones. But the disrespectful ones are what makes you think about your safety constantly.

I was taken to a remote area by a family member (someone you'd think wouldn't hurt you) under the guise of "let's have a chat" and put in a situation where I had to do what I was told because I knew deep down inside he could overpower me and no one could hear me scream if I tried. My biggest fear was enraging him and having to endure what he might do at that point.

Now I know even family can't be trusted. I can't go back and change that decision I made to be alone with that person. But you better bet I won't be giving someone that opportunity again.
it saddens me that you had this experience and live in a state of feeling you must constantly be on guard :O( have you consider training in the martial arts? it might make you feel at least a bit better

Reactions: ronin001 and 950483

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

So true. Unfortunately, for many women, it's family that first teaches us to be on guard. So sick. So sad.

D

deleted924715

I'd learned to ignore the cat-calling and inappropriate comments from a young age, it was uncomfortable but it became normal. However, I remember the exact moment at 18 years old, when I learned how much every man in my life up until that point had been holding back with his physical strength and the crashing realisation that no matter how hard I fought, he was so strong and so heavy that it wasn't going to be enough. I got very, very lucky with the timing of a (male) friend, but the world was never the same from that point onwards.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd be quite pleased to have a little face to face with that moron who left that ridiculous comment. I bet he'd wet himself before our chat was through.
And I'd like to be a fly on the wall. Or the one to back you up if it got out of hand. People like him are why I carry a stun gun when I jog (even though my current running buddy is a pit bull). SOME people think because my squishy parts jiggle I owe them my time and attention.

fluffychocolate

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was younger than is mentioned in the article the first time a car stopped for me and the driver offered me money for sex. I was wearing a fairly roomy skirt suit. Meanwhile, several years later I had a boyfriend who every time he saw a provocatively dressed woman would mutter under his breath, "How much do YOU cost?" He never did understand why I took him to task for it.

Because of TOS I can't say how old I was when a car full of guys drove by me and my best friend asking us how much for {insert sex act here}. It was the dead of winter and we had on long coats, jeans under that, big bulky sweaters, hats and gloves. I remember the two of us looking at each other trying to figure out what the hell made them think we would be prostitutes.

It amuses me when I see guys on this site say they'd like to be objectified like we women are. I don't think any of them have 1/10th of a clue what that means. It means standing at a lunch counter waiting for your order and an old fucker in a wheel chair decides to go by and grab your ass because he thinks he's entitled. I wanted to kick his chair over. Had I done so I'd have been a heartless bitch. How many heterosexual men would be able to control their tempers if that old fucker had been gay and grabbed his cock as he went by?

It means dealing with accidental touches. It means dealing with on purpose touches because he just had to know how soft my booty was. When what I wanted to say was "Go the fuck home and touch on your girlfriend's booty you ass shat!"

Wooosah! Let me go calm down. This post has gotten me all riled up.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because of TOS I can't say how old I was when a car full of guys drove by me and my best friend asking us how much for {insert sex act here}. It was the dead of winter and we had on long coats, jeans under that, big bulky sweaters, hats and gloves. I remember the two of us looking at each other trying to figure out what the hell made them think we would be prostitutes.

It amuses me when I see guys on this site say they'd like to be objectified like we women are. I don't think any of them have 1/10th of a clue what that means. It means standing at a lunch counter waiting for your order and an old fucker in a wheel chair decides to go by and grab your ass because he thinks he's entitled. I wanted to kick his chair over. Had I done so I'd have been a heartless bitch. How many heterosexual men would be able to control their tempers if that old fucker had been gay and grabbed his cock as he went by?

It means dealing with accidental touches. It means dealing with on purpose touches because he just had to know how soft my booty was. When what I wanted to say was "Go the fuck home and touch on your girlfriend's booty you ass shat!"

Wooosah! Let me go calm down. This post has gotten me all riled up.
And then they just say we don't know how to appreciate compliments.

Reactions: fluffychocolate

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
These stories are of things that happen in public. What about those that happen in private?

There was this guy I dated when I was 18 and we had great sex. We hooked up again recently (I felt safe with him before) and I made the mistake of telling him I like BDSM. He said he wasn't into it (which was fine). But when we slept together he started twisting my nipples off and rough housing me. I said "Hey! Be gentle!" and he said "Oh really? I thought you liked it rough?". I never indicated that I liked it rough like that. Nor did I give him my permission to treat me that way in bed.

Then I had another person who refused to stop pushing his cock inside of me when I was begging him to stop because it hurt so bad. He would push it all the way in and hold it there. I have a short vagina especially since my cervix was removed in my hysterectomy. He liked the domination factor even though I had tears in my eyes. He refused to stop when he was being too rough. I also told him we needed lube because it was getting uncomfortable and he whispered "But I want it to hurt a little. I can feel more when you are dry". I had so much visible vaginal bruising from that experience. I look back and now wonder if I was raped, even though I gave my consent in the beginning.

This is the other side of being a woman in my experience. Finding a gentle, understanding and caring lover is so difficult. Otherwise these people came off totally sane until we got naked. Due to these latest experiences I have decided to go back to monogamy and never dabble in sex with others again. I have been quite fortunate to have a husband that knows my body well and listens to me in bed (and out of bed).

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
However, I remember the exact moment at 18 years old, when I learned how much every man in my life up until that point had been holding back with his physical strength and the crashing realisation that no matter how hard I fought, he was so strong and so heavy that it wasn't going to be enough.
My mother learned the hard way. My mother and I are not the same kind of people. She delighted in demonstrating physical power through acts of violence. I am far more reserved, and while I can be provoked to violence, that's not an easy feat. She hit a man at a party because he disrespected her. He knocked her into next week, which she felt was fair. She told me not to hit men. She, correctly, advised me that even a man who is significantly smaller and at a weight disadvantage is stronger and faster than I. She said if I hit a man I need to be prepared for retaliation from a much greater force. She further said that if a man's actions do not warrant his death, keep my hands to myself, but that if he is presenting a sufficient threat, end him. She said either kill a man, or escape him, but don't strike him unless I'm trying to kill him.

Then, she asked if I'd ever noticed the bottle of champagne in the garage. She said it wasn't being saved for a special occasion, but was an incognito weapon, one she'd already used the night she received it. She'd been to a different party on a different occasion at the neighbor's. A man there kept hitting on her. She told him from the beginning she wasn't interested. Throughout the party he was problematic, but she just kept telling him clearly to leave her alone, and avoiding him as much as possible. Finally, she decided to come home, and the neighbor gave her the bottle as a Christmas gift for our family.

She entered our house through the garage, and just as the door was closing, the guy rolled under. He was in our house! So, she beat him with the bottle until he was broken, bloody and unconscious. Then she dragged what she believed was his dead body into our backyard, and hoped he was just knocked out. She made as little noise as possible both during the fight and while removing him because my grandmother and I were just upstairs, and she didn't want us to investigate a ruckus and end up getting hurt. As an adult I bought myself a bottle of that sparkling wine, and it turned out to be very good. There is an empty one with dried flowers in it "decorating" every room in my house. I'm not afraid there's going to be a home invasion. I'm just prepared in case there is one. My mother didn't have to tell me twice.

According to my mother, our backyard was empty in the morning.

braalian

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I definitely agree that saying a woman wearing slutty clothes is "asking for it" is ridiculous when it comes to violence or intimidation or lewd comments.

But, I'm sorry, I do think a woman wearing clothes that are clearly and intentionally provocative does not have the right to be offended by harmless stares or whistles or catcalls. I mean, come on. Why did you go out of the house dressed like that?

Reactions: Giovanni

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I definitely agree that saying a woman wearing slutty clothes is "asking for it" is ridiculous when it comes to violence or intimidation or lewd comments.

But, I'm sorry, I do think a woman wearing clothes that are clearly and intentionally provocative does not have the right to be offended by harmless stares or whistles or catcalls. I mean, come on. Why did you go out of the house dressed like that?
Are you being ironic, moronic, or both?

You literally just said it is ridiculous to say she's asking for it, regarding lewd comments. Then you said she shouldn't be offended by catcalls (which are lewd comments). Are you stupid, or hilarious? This is a serious question.