"What it means to be gay" (a quote i found somewhere)

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Dennis Anyone, Mar 9, 2009.

1. D_Dennis Anyone

D_Dennis Anyone New Member

I found this somewhere on the net and thought a lot of it applied to me as true....tell me if any of you guys ever fealt or think some of these apply to you....

Sometimes I kinda hate being who I am in this world today. Whats the best way to overcome these issues (internally if not externaly)?
    Also, I think sometimes I'm afraid of the world. You know, thinking about how things COULD be. I think a lot of straight guys do not know how hard it can be for us.

To be GAY IN A STRAIGHT WORLD
    "I don't speak for all gay people, only for myself.
    I am your brother, your best friend, your roommate, and your date...but I hide it from you. You make me.
    Try to understand what I am feeling.

BEING GAY IS:
    To be condemned by most churches as sinful,
    Some health professionals as pathological and curable, by some laws as criminal.

It's to live two separate lives, never being able to be completely honest in either.

It's listening to your fellow human beings talking about queers and making jokes about effeminate males and athletic looking females.
    As you stand there, knowing they would say the same thing about you.

It's to go along with the men as they watch women when you would rather watch people of your own gender.

It's to awaken every morning, live every day, and go to sleep every night fearing discovery and/or rejection by your family, friends and co-workers.

It's dating people of the opposite gender when you really don't want to, just to maintain a cover.

It's pretending to be ignorant about homosexuality and quietly listening to your straight friends displaying their ignorance, while you dare not correct them.

It's meeting someone you really like but are too afraid to find out if they're gay because they're wearing the same mask as you.

It's going to a public place with your significant other and never being able to display any affection to each other.

It's being taught to hate yourself knowing that you cannot change, knowing you can never share that wonderful feeling of being in love, with your family and most of your friends.

Now, isn't this totally unfair? Then again, people seem to believe all of life is anyway.

I am 18 and I have no choice but to live my "so-called life" like this.
    One day I will try to change this,

I promise..."

2. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

It's totally unfair, and thank goodness that younger people in the US are not as saddled with as much prejudice against gays and lesbians as people in the baby boomer generation are. That's a sign that a lot of the discrimination that has gone on for years will finally pass away. So, it's a good time to add your positive energy to point out how unfair it is and to continue changing it.

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Oh that cuts deep. Well written and way too true.

4. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

dang!

was that posted in 1947?

on a daily basis, I'm surrounded by hyper-macho type guys, and religious people, all who know what I am -- none of that obtains

#4 B_Nick4444, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    As I was reading this I thought, god, none of this is true; I haven't felt like this since I was in high school. And then I came to this line:
    I am 18 and I have no choice but to live my "so-called life" like this

The really good news for the writer is that life will change. And all probably very soon.

6. michneo

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Damn this shit is so true

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Then consider yourself lucky as there are adult, married men on this very site who feel exactly the same way as the kid who wrote this. :frown1:

8. Beachboy19

Beachboy19 New Member

9. Himura

Himura Member

kinda of applies to closeted

10. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I noticed early on as an adolescent, that if someone had achieved respect as an individual, then the ascribed aspects were overlooked -- poor, minority race/ethnicity, intelligence, sexual orientation, etc.

11. Himura

Himura Member

The kid who wrote that was probably depressed when he wrote it... Everyone gets depressed......

You can show open emotion to your gay lover in a gay community... they do exist...

So I'm guessing this guy lives in the suburbs.... metropolitan area.... he should probably move updown/downdown... whatever... where all the gay people are... etc

12. funguy44

funguy44 New Member

I AM one of those men and feel the same!

Draft saved Draft deleted