What Joan Crawford films do you have?

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't own any, I'm too busy cleaning and staying on top of the wire hanger situation in the closets!

I'm not mad at you, nudeyorker, I'm mad at the dirt!

I used to have Baby Jane and Grand Hotel on VHS years ago when I spent a lot of time taping things off AMC. I saw Grand Hotel again recently -- I think that's one of the best films of all time. Joan Crawford is great, but Greta Garbo is spectacular. Somone once asked me what it feels like to be depressed, and I told them to rent that movie and just watch Greta Garbo's face.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Funny thing about Joan and Bette is that they never worked with one another before. Bette had a field day with Joan for her Pepsi sponsorship work. Bette Davis loosely coined Joan Crawford "The Widow Steele" when working on Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? It was also said or rumored that Joan was the reason for Bette's bad back problems, which Joan put rocks in her pockets when Bette carried her in that scene.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I travel too lightly to actually own any DVDs. But over the years, I've probably seen 85% of her work. I'm an especially big fan of her early stuff, before she became Mommy Dearest and she was the hardest working woman at MGM.

On YouTube, I happened on Our Dancing Daughters recently. It's not her first starring film, but it's so early that you can still see her original teeth before Louis B Mayer ordered them all capped.

The sets and costumes are insanely Art Deco. Even if you don't like silents, I recommend you watch the first two parts. They are brilliant, and show a Joanie you'd never imagined:

Part 1

Part 2

If you like it enough to keep going, follow the links. It's really really cool. I can only imagine what Louise Brooks (another professional dancer turned movie star) would have done with it.

newdflesh

Just Browsing
Media
Female on the beach, Daisy Kenyon, The damned don't cry, Rain, Sudden Fear, Autumn Leaves, Sadie McKee, The women, Grand hotel, Mildred Pierce, Possessed (Warners Bros), Mannequin, Dancing lady

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One of my favorite quotes about Joanie comes from F Scott Fitzgerald, who worked as a screenwriter/story developer in Hollywood in the 1930s-40s, regarding her acting skills:

...Writing for [Joan] is difficult. She can't change her emotions in the middle of a scene without going through a sort of Jekyll and Hyde contortion of the face, so that when one wants to indicate that she is going from joy to sorrow, one must cut away and then cut back. Also, you can never give her such a stage direction as 'telling a lie,' because if you did, she would practically give a representation of Benedict Arnold selling West Point to the British....

:biggrin1:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Funny this should crop up today. Last night I found myself drowsily watching Johnny Guitar dubbed in Spanish as Joan was challenged by Mercedes McCambridge regarding who could chew away most of the sets. The "dangerous Lesbian" aspect of McCambridge's character (maybe her real personality?) as she sortied nastiness with the Crawford was even more evident when dubbed in a different language, forcing me to concentrate on their shrill facial expressions. It was a major munk-fest.

Oh, and I don't own any Crawford films, but I do have the anniversary edition of Mommie Dearest. Faye Dunaway grew up near my neck of the woods (for a few years) in Tooele, Ewetaw. I wonder if she's ever attended any high school reunions?

Good poop regarding F. Scott Fitzgerald, though.

Last edited:

bigdicksarebest

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Possessed, The Women, Grand Hotel, The Damned Don't Cry, Mildred Pierce, Humoresque and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane all on DVD

Last edited:

Simon8.5

Just Browsing
Media
In fairness to the young (and newly-invented Joan Crawford) it can be noted Joan was a subject of some good observation (not to say lasciviousness) by Mr. Fitzgerald.

This, of course, is his most famous Crawford quote:

Joan Crawford is doubtless the best example of the flapper, the girl you see in smart night clubs, gowned to the apex of sophistication, toying iced glasses with a remote, faintly bitter expression, dancing deliciously, laughing a great deal, with wide, hurt eyes. Young things with a talent for living.

She was the epitome of her era in the late 20s and early 30s.

By this time I suspect Mr. Fitzgerald's writing (always self-indulgent and self-conscious) had been affected by his penchant for the sauce.