What kind of Computer do you sit in front of?

Finedessert: I'm a speed freak, so I'm wondering what others are working with.

Mine is a Gateway 700XL with

Pent 4 processor 2.4GHz
120 GB Hard Drive
1024MB RAM
SoundBlaster sound system 4 speakers and a subwoofer
Windows XP
18 inch LCD Flat Screen

I'm on Road Runner Cable Modom, by AOL-Time Warner.

Grandpa

stlmale: LOL, mine's a piece of crap, Gateway 450 Pentium II. It does have 128mg SDRam and 32 meg video card and I also use a cable modem with a very fast connection speed. A Computer seems to be of lesser importance to replace than an automobile or refrigerator. If money was not a decisive factor, I would be sitting in front of a 3000 dollar machine !! And truth be known, they have virtually no resale value so to get your money out of them it may be necessary to use the same computer for 3-5 years. But I am going on six :'(

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I have a Sam's Club El-Cheapo, a $599 HP Celeron 64MB, 733MHz, 30.0GB Pavillion.

I have added 128MB RAM, which sped it up a little, but I'm stuck with a dial-up thru AOL.

And the stupid 15" monitor has geometry problems so the viewable screen is actually only about 12" instead of 14" (and it would probably cost less to replace it than to get it fixed).

I don't think I would ever spend a lot on a computer: as stlmale pointed out, they tend to become outdated too quickly.

Pecker

Finedessert: I don't want anyone to think that I'm Mr. Money Bags, but this little Jewel that I'm on now cost a total of $3,606.82 delivered to my doorstep, and it was outdated even before I got it.

The computer that I replaced with this one (and I still have it) was a Micron that cost $ 2,356.00. on that one I went out and bought a CD Burner so the kids that worked for me could download their Rock Music and burn it to a CD. ( I'm such a nice guy....lol )

My third computer I use for business records only.In my first post I said I was a speed freak, so in the past Eight Years I have bought 5 computers, each one being faster and faster than the last one.

BTW, Although the kids don't work for me anymore they still come buy to burn CD's.

I also have a webcam to Netmeet with.

Any Questions?

Grandpa

two_fister: Dell Optiplex GX1
Penntiun II
CTX monitor
Cannon BJC printer
AOL 8.0
motorola cable modem
no dial up for me.

stlmale: Well my first computer back around 1995 was a Pentium I, 133mz, I believe that was about a year after the Pentium Chip was on the market and that 133 mghz Pentium with 32 meg ram and a 14 inch monitor cost 2800 dollars. Just recently took it apart to repair to friends computers too. For internet crap, the most important thing is the ISP and that you use a DSL or Cable connection, after that you can't tell a 3000 dollar computer from a 800 dollar computer if you are strictly surfing with it.

[quote author=Finedessert link=board=99;num=1035464697;start=0#3 date=10/25/02 at 08:09:35]I don't want anyone to think that I'm Mr. Money Bags, but this little Jewel that I'm on now cost a total of $3,606.82 delivered to my doorstep, and it was outdated even before I got it.

The computer that I replaced with this one (and I still have it) was a Micron that cost $ 2,356.00. on that one I went out and bought a CD Burner so the kids that worked for me could download their Rock Music and burn it to a CD. ( I'm such a nice guy....lol )

My third computer I use for business records only.In my first post I said I was a speed freak, so in the past Eight Years I have bought  5 computers, each one being faster and faster than the last one.

BTW, Although the kids don't work for me anymore they still come buy to burn CD's.

I also have a webcam to Netmeet with.

Any Questions?

Grandpa[/quote]

stlmale: You can purchase a decent 17 inch monitor for less than 200 dollars these days. But I strongly recommend to anyone who uses the internet that they use a cable modem or perhaps DSL. It is like an entirely different experience using a fast connection online. Prices vary by location, but I get my Cable Modem rental, 102 basic cable channels and unlimited internet browsing for under 40 dollars a month. It is well worth it, at least try a friends computer to see the difference if you have an opportunity. For the internet, the cheapest computer that works will work fine.

[quote author=bilbobagginsx link=board=99;num=1035464697;start=0#2 date=10/25/02 at 07:06:29]I have a Sam's Club El-Cheapo, a $599 HP Celeron 64MB, 733MHz, 30.0GB Pavillion.

I have added 128MB RAM, which sped it up a little, but I'm stuck with a dial-up thru AOL.

And the stupid 15" monitor has geometry problems so the viewable screen is actually only about 12" instead of 14" (and it would probably cost less to replace it than to get it fixed).

I don't think I would ever spend a lot on a computer:  as stlmale pointed out, they tend to become outdated too quickly.

Pecker

[/quote]

Justin: I have an AMD Athalon 1.4ghz with 512 ram 3 cdrom drives (burner, dvd, and 52 speed read only. I guess I collect them) I have a soundblaster card a 64mb geforce2 graphics card and I am on a cable modem. And I have a 17" sony trinitron monitor. 100gb hard drive and I run Windows XP. I am a big online gamer if you couldnt tell. :)

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My first puter was a Commodore 64 with a 5 1/4" floppy disk drive and a 12" monitor.

I still have it upstairs in a closet along with a box full of about 300 floppies of games and utilities. I'm saving it for the day it comes back into style and be worth a small fortune.

Pecker

Justin: I completely forgot about the 5 1/4 drives. Have any of you ever seen one of the really old 8" floppy drives? They are huge.

Waiakea: Generic brand computer
1.2GHz Athlon
512MB RAM
40GB hard drive
CD-RW/DVD
17inch monitor
Slow ass 56k modem :-[

magnum: I run 1.4ghz athlon's (tbird) both at home and work, both with 512 ram but my home machine has a geforce 4 4400 since I play games on it.

I'm about ready to upgrade the home machine, since it feels like my processor is the bottleneck on games now due to the fast video, hehe. I build them myself, saves me money and lets me get exactly what I want without all the extra crap I don't need.

ORCABOMBER: OneFine, well, it's used to be a celeron 733 with 320MB Ram, and being upgraded as I go along... and now it's a shit school PC as I don't have a net connection anymore! :(

reir: Two that I built (and they're both a little old):

Dual P3 1GHz on an Abit running WinXP
RAIDed dual 30GB, a 45GB, and a 20GB
768MB of RAM
GeForce2 Video, SBlive MP3+ (bleh)
Plextor CDRW and Pioneer Slot DVD

Dual P2 266MHz on an Asus running Debian Linux
4GB SCSI IBM
256MB RAM
GeForce2 Video, crappy aureal sound
and CD. as you can tell this computer doesn't get used for too much of the day to day stuff

As for the net connection, currently it's cable (although at work I get to take advantage of the DS3). I don't think I could stand to be stuck on dialup after being on broadband for the past 4 years. Hehe

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
My computer is one that has an incredibly strong glare that hurts my eyes during nighttime and wee-hour web surfing. I share the master bedroom with a roommate and we have different sleeping schedules, so I'm usually pecking away at something on the Web.

So I turned down my contrast and brightness functions -- ah, relief!

BTW: Pentium III 700 mHz, 20 GB hard drive, 128 mB RAM, HP video card mx 15" monitor... a $600 nigh hunk-o'-junk now. Still running ME. I need to get this dealt with once I have the money saved up. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it seems I'm going out of my way to fix lil' errors and it's getting to me.

Dreyfus42: Well, mine is one I built myself:
Windows XP Professional
AMD Athalon XP 1900+
256 MB DDR-RAM
Kingwin Mg Alloy Case, modded with green neon light, and see-through side with Cooler Master Rounded IDE Cables
128MB DDR-Ram nVidia GeForce AGP Card
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card with 20GB Travan Tape Drive
Phillips Sound Card
Modem, NIC
TV Tuner Card
40GB 7200rpm IBM HDD
16X Lite-On DVD-ROM
52X CD-ROM
40X CD-RW
Graphic Equalizer
10 case fans
Zip Drive
Sprint FastConnect DSL connected to Linksys 802.11b wireless Access Point/Router to go to my other computers,
And Much More!

P.S. - I also have a large penis  :)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
And I thought you were compensating. LOL

Waitaminute! Someone has enough tech skills to build his own computer and not enough to resist the Borg (Microsoft).