What kind of god/s do you believe in? - US / rest of world

What kind of god/s do you believe in? - US vs rest of world

• US: Traditional God/Allah of the Bible/Qu'ran with personality, to be worshipped

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • non-US: Traditional God/Allah of the Bible/Qu'ran with personality, to be worshipped

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • US: Abstract Ground of all Being/Higher Power: I'm glad it's there

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • non-US: Abstract Ground of all Being/Higher Power: I'm glad it's there

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • US: Other god/s

• non- US: Other god/s

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • US: Something else

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • non-US: Something else

• US: No gods

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • non-US: No gods

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People say "I do/don't believe in God" but are they talking about the same thing? I suspect that belief in a traditional god is very different in the US from other places, so that's what this is designed to test. I've tried to cover every option, but you can imagine how hard that is: Answer whichever is close to your belief, even if it's not the best possible fit.

I don't want to start a debate about which if any of these gods exist, but I'm not silly.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My vanity refuses to consider that my life has no higher purpose, I just have no idea what it might be. The older I get, the less sure I am of anything, let alone the biggest question of all.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Honestly, I try not to think about the hereafter too much. Life is pretty full and busy and I cross that bridge when it comes.

I'm curious to know why you suspect that belief in a traditional god is very different in the US from other places. I think the first two questions should have included options for non-Abrahamic religions. Especial for the non-US people.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
HickBoy: I've really only described two, the God of the theists and the god of the deists. That was the dimension I really wanted to measure.

HickBoy and nate90 and witch: I provided the "other god/s" options for you. (I wondered if I should add "Satan" options.)

vince: because belief in Creationism is much higher in the US than the rest of the developed world. Over at Rational Skepticism they've been counting up the gods people have ever believed in. It's called The Million Gods Project, but they've only got 5000+ so far. The polls only have room for 20 options.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
HickBoy: I've really only described two, the God of the theists and the god of the deists. That was the dimension I really wanted to measure.

HickBoy and nate90 and witch: I provided the "other god/s" options for you. (I wondered if I should add "Satan" options.)

vince: because belief in Creationism is much higher in the US than the rest of the developed world. Over at Rational Skepticism they've been counting up the gods people have ever believed in. It's called The Million Gods Project, but they've only got 5000+ so far. The polls only have room for 20 options.

I answered US Something Else because I absolutely don't believe in a personal deity of any sort.

BTW: Wiccans don't worship Satan; they venerate spirits associated with nature.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I answered US Something Else because I absolutely don't believe in a personal deity of any sort.
Just curious, how is that different from "no gods"?

BTW: Wiccans don't worship Satan; they venerate spirits associated with nature.
The "Satan" options would have been as well as the "other god/s" options, not instead. I didn't intend to link Wicca and Satanism.